• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Police and Prison Abolition Thread

What is the "limit of whiteness"?

I'm just a drunken Irishman, but asking for my Scandinavian, Italian, and Kiwi friends.

TK is peak self loathing Caucasity. All other whiteness grades scale down from there.

People on here pitching ideas to destroy black neighborhoods thinking they are their White Saviors.

literally what the fuck are you talking about cat

what have I posted that is "peak self loathing"

Do those of you strongly opposed to the idea of defunding (on some level) or abolishing the police have their own ideas of what might help fix the increasing militarization and inequalities in US policing? Or do you think it is not an issue in need of solution?

What is the "limit of whiteness"?

I'm just a drunken Irishman, but asking for my Scandinavian, Italian, and Kiwi friends.

I was responding to Creamy who mistook a critique of whiteness for criticism of one's skin color. Just as Blackness is more than the color of one's flesh, whiteness is more than the color of one's flesh, no?

I don't understand the point of your second sentence.

I was responding to Creamy who mistook a critique of whiteness for criticism of one's skin color. Just as Blackness is more than the color of one's flesh, whiteness is more than the color of one's flesh, no?

I don't understand the point of your second sentence.

That whiteness is nothing more than the color of one's flesh. To say it is anything else is reductionist stereotyping that, ultimately, lays the groundwork for racism.

That whiteness is nothing more than the color of one's flesh. To say it is anything else is reductionist stereotyping that, ultimately, lays the groundwork for racism.

I would think compressing all the elements that constitute our received understanding of race (aesthetic, cultural, political, historical, etc.) into the sentence "whiteness is nothing more than the color of one's flesh." is the reductive take here.

I don't understand how criticism of those elements lays the groundwork for racism, either.

Do those of you strongly opposed to the idea of defunding (on some level) or abolishing the police have their own ideas of what might help fix the increasing militarization and inequalities in US policing? Or do you think it is not an issue in need of solution?

We are arguing with people who literally want to abolish policing and jails, not people who are interested in reallocating and adjusting.

We are arguing with people who literally want to abolish policing and jails, not people who are interested in reallocating and adjusting.

No one in here is actually arguing in any meaningful sense, tbh.

If only we could imagine a less confusing, alternative slogan that might win us such voters as this.

A few thoughts

Change the training and trainers to eliminate the "occupying military force" mindset.

Remove the heavy military type equipment from police departments, and the training in its use. When you have neat toys, you want to play with them.

Return officers to neighborhood beats.

Create a group of "interventional mental health professionals" trained to handle acute mental health issues. Create "mental health swat team" of police trained in de-escalation methods and train other officers to recognize mental health issues and call a team.

Do a better job of psychological screening of police officer candidates to better deselect those with bullying tendencies.

Who do you mean by we? I feel like most people here agree that we spend too much on the current system and it needs change. Not many people share their opinions of what that change looks like though.

I'm in favor of greatly reducing police presence and finding ways to move those resources into social programs, infrastructure and mental health. I think a rapid response team similar to our current armed police is still needed but only used in very limited situations. I also think that qualifies as defunding, though obviously in a very different sense than those looking to abolish the police.

A few thoughts

Change the training and trainers to eliminate the "occupying military force" mindset.

Remove the heavy military type equipment from police departments, and the training in its use. When you have neat toys, you want to play with them.

Return officers to neighborhood beats.

Create a group of "interventional mental health professionals" trained to handle acute mental health issues. Create "mental health swat team" of police trained in de-escalation methods and train other officers to recognize mental health issues and call a team.

Do a better job of psychological screening of police officer candidates to better deselect those with bullying tendencies.

Good reply. Do you think those mental health responders would be part of what's called the police or an entirely different organization to separate the ideas of policeing and mental health response entirely?

Back