• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Police and Prison Abolition Thread

Perhaps one way to start changing mindset of police would be much more extensive psychological evaluation of police officer trainee candidates. Weed out those with bullying/military occupation force etc. tendencies. To reinforce that policy, require re-evaluation periodically, just as physical condition is evaluated periodically. you fail, you go on probation. Fail again and you are medically retired from the police.

The entire system trains them to be a bully/occupation force. They are frequently sent to a "killologist" to learn how to kill better and approach civilians as enemy combatants.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/08/warrior-cop-class-dave-grossman-killology.html

Why is owning rental property bad again? I'm a little behind here and want to tell my father-in-law why renting out a trailer on his farmland makes him a shitty person.

Why is owning rental property bad again? I'm a little behind here and want to tell my father-in-law why renting out a trailer on his farmland makes him a shitty person.

lol good opening

Top-5 poster continuing to live up to expectations.

Everything is not terrible, there are occasionally rays of hope that break through the dark clouds

Today was a good day.

Just murder him and that sweet farming business is all yours. One day, you can retire and criticize the next generation for wanting a handout because they didn’t grab their destiny like you did.

The entire system trains them to be a bully/occupation force. They are frequently sent to a "killologist" to learn how to kill better and approach civilians as enemy combatants.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/08/warrior-cop-class-dave-grossman-killology.html

What is described in that article is the changed training that occurred in the last few decades. Training was contracted out to training companies with that occupying force mindset. Some of those companies are based in other countries.

Changing trainers, training and requiring psych evaluations before entry and periodically would change policing.

I'm not going to speak for mhb, but one argument is that being a landlord and renting out your property does not make you a shitty person, but a system that commodifies a human need such as housing (can also be applied to medicine, etc.) is a bad system

the tension between housing as real estate and housing as shelter currently favors housing as real estate in this country, which is a problem

like a lot of things, this isn't the cumulative result of individual bad actors, but of a system that incentivizes and prioritizes the wrong things

Thank you for that explanation, juice. That’s nearly my identical understanding. I don’t believe that all instances of residential renting are nefarious, far from it - many of them aren’t, many of them are.

I’ll be sure to shame the cashier next time I go to the grocery store.

I'll explain the problem like this. You're a UK basketball fan, right? I could tell you about how shady Cal is, how shady Pitino was, the program's racist roots in Adolph Rupp, whatever. But you're still going to be a UK basketball fan no matter what.

That's how people feel about cops.

this is good

Back