Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 615

Thread: Police and Prison Abolition Thread

  1. #121
    Rusty Larue

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem thru 2020
    Posts
    10,970
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    Home arrest for violent criminals lends itself to more police in peaceful neighborhoods and possibly drones to follow these criminals. House arrest for violent criminals would be considered a joke by them.
    Do you have any evidence to support either of those claims? Why would it lead to more police in peaceful neighborhoods? Why the need for drones?

  2. #122
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Quote Originally Posted by RChildress107 View Post
    Do you have any evidence to support either of those claims? Why would it lead to more police in peaceful neighborhoods? Why the need for drones?
    The answers for your last two questions are obvious. If you have more people on house arrest and who are monitored, you need more people to do it. Drones are used for security and would certainly be used to keep ties on criminals.

  3. #123
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    45,906
    society doesn't even want people labeled sex offenders literally anywhere in their neighborhoods but they'll be OK with murderers?

  4. #124
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    But the murderers will have ankle coverage and will promise not to leave their homes.

  5. #125
    RJ is the human embodiment of liberalism. We'll just have more drones!

  6. #126
    Rusty Larue

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem thru 2020
    Posts
    10,970
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    The answers for your last two questions are obvious. If you have more people on house arrest and who are monitored, you need more people to do it. Drones are used for security and would certainly be used to keep ties on criminals.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheCaptain View Post
    society doesn't even want people labeled sex offenders literally anywhere in their neighborhoods but they'll be OK with murderers?
    Yíall must be for some significant UBI and ban-the-box measures if you think all these murderers are going to be buying homes in peaceful neighborhoods.

    And Iím sorry, but ďthe logistics are hardĒ isnít a good excuse for committing more violence than is absolutely necessary to keep society safe.

    We already use this system for some murderers so Iím not sure why itís suddenly so controversial.

  7. #127
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    45,906
    Quote Originally Posted by RChildress107 View Post
    Yíall must be for some significant UBI and ban-the-box measures if you think all these murderers are going to be buying homes in peaceful neighborhoods.

    And Iím sorry, but ďthe logistics are hardĒ isnít a good excuse for committing more violence than is absolutely necessary to keep society safe.

    We already use this system for some murderers so Iím not sure why itís suddenly so controversial.
    they won't be - that's the problem. same with sex offenders.

  8. #128
    Wait, there actually are people who say that murderers and rapists shouldn't be in prison?

  9. #129
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Quote Originally Posted by HoosierDeac View Post
    Wait, there actually are people who say that murderers and rapists shouldn't be in prison?
    Several here...

  10. #130
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Quote Originally Posted by MHBDemon View Post
    RJ is the human embodiment of liberalism. We'll just have more drones!
    It must be difficult to be so blinded by your hatred as to be so ignorant of what I have said.

    I don't want more drones. I want violent criminals to be in prison like nearly every same person would.

    Let's let hit men roam the streets with anklets. Let's let serial child molestors be free. Let them live next to MHB's kids.
    Last edited by RJKarl; 01-16-2019 at 04:36 PM.

  11. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by MHBDemon View Post
    You don't mean build new ones do you? oof.
    The only reason to build a new prison IMO is to replace an existing one which has deteriorated to a level that is unsafe to hold prisoners inside. I meant this to mean modernization of prisons, remodeling and renovation so that itís a much more humane existence for prisoners. You should not be forced into literal cesspools because you were convicted of a crime, no matter how heinous.

  12. #132
    Rusty Larue

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem thru 2020
    Posts
    10,970
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    It must be difficult to be so blinded by your hatred as to be so ignorant of what I have said.

    I don't want more drones. I want violent criminals to be in prison like nearly every same person would.

    Let's let hit men roam the streets with anklets. Let's let serial child molestors be free. Let them live next to MHB's kids.
    You realize that we give the large majority of violent criminals the option to return to the community, sometimes for several years, before sending them to prison. Right?

    And then we let the large majority of violent criminals back into the community without taking any meaningful steps to make them less predisposed to violence (and in fact likely having increased their predisposition towards violence). Right?

    Iím basically just advocating for a system that cuts out the middle part where we essentially condition people to be violent and is only concerned with public safety, not antiquated notions of moral vengeance.

  13. #133

    "Solving Mass Incarceration" (Abolition vs. Reform debate)

    What percentage of criminal recidivism is caused by the prison system or factors that have nothing to do with the actual prison itself. Itís almost too complicated to get solid data but if you have some that be great. If the purpose of prison is to rehabilitate a person and prevent them from committing a crime again itís a horrible system, or if the purpose of the prison system is to remove that person from society because they are destined to commit a crime then itís a ok system but call it what it is, a removal system not a rehabilitate system.

  14. #134
    I feel pretty confident in saying that, at least in my lifetime, there will never be a prison system in the United States in which the sentence of rapists and murderers will depend on some heretofore undefined metric of public safety.
    Last edited by Jamison2Carter; 01-16-2019 at 05:11 PM.

  15. #135
    Rusty Larue

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem thru 2020
    Posts
    10,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Gossett Jr View Post
    What percentage of criminal recidivism is caused by the prison system or factors that have nothing to do with the actual prison itself. Itís almost too complicated to get solid data but if you have some that be great. If the purpose of prison is to rehabilitate a person and prevent them from committing a crime again itís a horrible system, or if the purpose of the prison system is to remove that person from society because they are destined to commit a crime then itís a ok system but call it what it is, a removal system not a rehabilitate system.
    If thatís the purpose of the system itís a horrible system. Itís both over and under inclusive, unnecessary in most cases, and inhumane in all cases in its current form.

  16. #136
    Rusty Larue

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem thru 2020
    Posts
    10,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamison2Carter View Post
    I feel pretty confident in saying that, at least in my lifetime, there will never be a prison system in the United States which the sentence of rapists and murderers will depend on some heretofore undefined metric of public safety.
    I would feel pretty confident in that statement as well.

    The ďwhat about murderers and rapistsĒ has only ever been a theoretical conversation brought up by people trying to undermine the abolitionist framework for evaluating our prison system.

  17. #137
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Quote Originally Posted by RChildress107 View Post
    You realize that we give the large majority of violent criminals the option to return to the community, sometimes for several years, before sending them to prison. Right?

    And then we let the large majority of violent criminals back into the community without taking any meaningful steps to make them less predisposed to violence (and in fact likely having increased their predisposition towards violence). Right?

    Iím basically just advocating for a system that cuts out the middle part where we essentially condition people to be violent and is only concerned with public safety, not antiquated notions of moral vengeance.
    If you paid attention to what I have posted, I have repeatedly said we need new styles of prisons and methodologies for those incarcerated. I've said we don't need to keep an overwhelming majority of non-violent criminals in prison. I've stated we should move towards Portugal's drug policies.

    There are some people who need to be in prison and some need not to have any bail.

    The object should be to get done the things that are agreed upon and work on those we don't. This isn't something that can be done overnight or with one law.

    I would love to see DAs and cops be liable for framing innocent people. My opinion is they should be considered guilty of kidnapping those who were framed and other serious repercussions.

  18. #138
    Prisons were started to be rehabilitative, but as conservative influence in government has grown over the past 50-60 years, criminal justice has been moved severely in the direction of retribution at all costs. Thatís the only way someone can justify mandatory drug possession sentences of double-digit years.

  19. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by RChildress107 View Post
    If thatís the purpose of the system itís a horrible system. Itís both over and under inclusive, unnecessary in most cases, and inhumane in all cases in its current form.
    You know what else is inhumane? Murdering someone.

  20. #140
    Rusty Larue

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem thru 2020
    Posts
    10,970
    Quote Originally Posted by DistrictDeacon View Post
    You know what else is inhumane? Murdering someone.
    Obviously. If you think society should respond to inhumane actions with inhumanity then make that argument. Ultimately I disagree with that stance, but itís actually the only argument for maintaining a prison system that seems remotely compelling.

    Thatís not the discussion we are having though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •