• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Police and Prison Abolition Thread

messaging to the people you are hoping to bring into your organizing coalition but are not there yet

the person who only knows public safety as being the municipal police, the person who isn't reading theory, the person who gets most of their political news from mainstream sources

I'm not holding slogans up as problem-solvers, but as entry points

The "Defund the Police" slogan to many equals no police, which is what they saw on the news from Portland for weeks over the summer. A police free zone that quickly deteriorated into anarchy.

Many look at that and say, "no thank you,"

I don’t understand that argument. The policy is not going to come about from some national popular vote referendum, it’s just going to require your representative make a choice that you will then most likely go along with and live your life the exact same as you did the day before

If my local or state representative made that decision then I would move somewhere with law enforcement. I've had a shotgun pointed to my head before while being robbed at gunpoint. You know who made sure I didn't die and arrested the guy who held me up? You guessed it...The police.

The "Defund the Police" slogan to many equals no police, which is what they saw on the news from Portland for weeks over the summer. A police free zone that quickly deteriorated into anarchy.

Many look at that and say, "no thank you,"

Well isn't there defund the police AND abolish the police? Obviously they're 2 totally different ideals. Aren't a few here wanting to abolish the police? Or is everyone on the defund train?

If my local or state representative made that decision then I would move somewhere with law enforcement. I've had a shotgun pointed to my head before while being robbed at gunpoint. You know who made sure I didn't die and arrested the guy who held me up? You guessed it...The police.

Sincere question, when someone pointed a gun at your head, how could anyone have prevented them killing you?

If only that criminal had gotten more care and training in empathy in 13 years of pubic schooling, with intervention at the proper time, the whole situation could have been handled with a social worker. Instead, hopefully he's in prison where he belongs.

Well isn't there defund the police AND abolish the police? Obviously they're 2 totally different ideals. Aren't a few here wanting to abolish the police? Or is everyone on the defund train?

“Defund the police” is a strategy of abolitionists. But theoretically you could support a reduction of police budgets to support social services and not support full abolition.

Sincere question, when someone pointed a gun at your head, how could anyone have prevented them killing you?

Could not have. My friend saw, called the cops and 3 cop cars pulled in parking lot. I easily could have been shot with or without the police being there. Had I just been robbed and the bad guys ran away, then you have another criminal on the streets that could rob someone else and possibly even murder that person. Instead, this guy and his getaway driver were both arrested and I lived to see another day. Even got my wallet back and all $8 that was in it.

If only that criminal had gotten more care and training in empathy in 13 years of pubic schooling, with intervention at the proper time, the whole situation could have been handled with a social worker. Instead, hopefully he's in prison where he belongs.

what if that guy had good financial stability?

I'm sure half the posters here have stories where they have benefited from law enforcement. The idea of abolishing the police is moronic.

You want to get rid of police brutality with some radical agenda? How about any cop who murders an unarmed civ, who was posing no threat of harm, get's publicly humiliated and murdered in front of their entire family. That way you kill the bad cop and it makes other bad cops think twice before killing an unarmed civ. That's the radical equivalent of abolishing the police.

I'm sure half the posters here have stories where they have benefited from law enforcement. The idea of abolishing the police is moronic.

You want to get rid of police brutality with some radical agenda? How about any cop who murders an unarmed civ, who was posing no threat of harm, get's publicly humiliated and murdered in front of their entire family. That way you kill the bad cop and it makes other bad cops think twice before killing an unarmed civ. That's the radical equivalent of abolishing the police.

Why has no one thought of this. You just told us all you hadn’t read anything about abolitionist theory. So you are already dismissing it as moronic?

Why has no one thought of this. You just told us all you hadn’t read anything about abolitionist theory. So you are already dismissing it as moronic?

Maybe he has important shit going on in his life that prevents him from spending time reading up on some obviously moronic fringe bullshit.

“I have important shit going on. Let me go on this message board and tell people participating in a debate I know nothing about that their ideas are moronic.”

“I have important shit going on. Let me go on this message board and tell people participating in a debate I know nothing about that their ideas are moronic.”

Shows you exactly how moronic it is that people would rather talk about Danny Manning getting a job at ESPN than read up on "abolition".

No one is forcing you to read this moronic discussion.

Maybe he has important shit going on in his life that prevents him from spending time reading up on some obviously moronic fringe bullshit.

Yeah if I masochistically stumble my way to the tunnels to get beat up with my world views, I'm rarely going to dive into such an extreme topic of which I have zero respect for.

I'm looking for a solid Trump meme or some COVID chatter if I come to these parts. I usually stick to sports and chat thread.

There's nothing to know about this "debate" because it isn't a debate. It's threes of people telling the boards why anarchy is our best solution as a society.

Back