• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Police and Prison Abolition Thread

I disagree with her. It's not contradictory at all, to me. Society requires a criminal justice system, and Breonna Taylor deserves justice.

Does police abolition always go hand in hand with prison abolition, I don't think that it necessarily does. I'm pretty sure you would find among a strong majority of people that are for abolishing the police/defunding the police they are open to prison reform but not abolishing prisons.

I disagree with her. It's not contradictory at all, to me. Society requires a criminal justice system, and Breonna Taylor deserves justice.

then I'd say you aren't a full abolitionist in the sense Eve Ewing is talking about

there is a tension between those calling for both full abolition and for justice for Breonna via arrest and prosecution

then I'd say you aren't a full abolitionist in the sense Eve Ewing is talking about

there is a tension between those calling for both full abolition and for justice for Breonna via arrest and prosecution

Possibly - and I think it definitely is if people are calling for their incarceration or to "lock them up." I think there is room for the justice system in both a non-police, non-prison state. There will still be a need for discernment of guilt and proper restitution/restoration.

But to Eve Ewing's point, I doubt many with both exclamations on their timeline are self-reflecting on the nuance and potential contradiction. And the awkward conversation is one that needs to be had in imagining what abolition actually looks like - beyond a catch phrase.

Does police abolition always go hand in hand with prison abolition, I don't think that it necessarily does. I'm pretty sure you would find among a strong majority of people that are for abolishing the police/defunding the police they are open to prison reform but not abolishing prisons.

Generally yes. Abolitionists usually refer to abolishing the prison industrial complex, of which policing is a part.

I would say yes when talking total abolition. For the radically defund (not reform) group, I expect there is a wider continuum of belief re: prison abolition.

Possibly - and I think it definitely is if people are calling for their incarceration or to "lock them up." I think there is room for the justice system in both a non-police, non-prison state. There will still be a need for discernment of guilt and proper restitution/restoration.

But to Eve Ewing's point, I doubt many with both exclamations on their timeline are self-reflecting on the nuance and potential contradiction. And the awkward conversation is one that needs to be had in imagining what abolition actually looks like - beyond a catch phrase.

I'm thinking of the image below that has circulated a good bit among people that are also calling for abolition. It is true, though, that I'm not cross referencing who is exactly calling for what among my social media follows to know how widespread the inconsistency is. I'm speaking personally that it is an internal tension, between wanting to abolish the carceral state and also wanting to see "justice" in this sense. It speaks to my own lack of imagination on what justice should and could be.

EbMgwMEXQAAKAGX.jpg

I can definitely say that I dont subscribe to the total abolishment of the criminal justice concept - I think that idea is far too utopian and fantastical. Even our current broken system is capable of justice occasionally.

One reason I’m pessimistic about true prison reform is that even people who want to change the criminal justice system have their ugly fantasy of killer cops in prison getting raped and fearing for their lives.

I can definitely say that I dont subscribe to the total abolishment of the criminal justice concept - I think that idea is far too utopian and fantastical. Even our current broken system is capable of justice occasionally.

Glad, you are coming around to reality. A very positive aspect of this is that in most communities social/mental health workers aren't paid as much as cops. So, there will be money for other programs. Each person you keep out of the criminal justice mess saves tons of money as well. Money that can be used in communities to help a myriad of problems.

For the RWers, with fewer people with criminal records, they can make and spend more money and create jobs.

Glad, you are coming around to reality.

RJ, based on the 1000 shit posts you've made responding to me, you have no clue who I am or what I believe in, so I really don't need your encouragement. You're better off just considering me Karl Marx and ignoring me. BYE.

One reason I’m pessimistic about true prison reform is that even people who want to change the criminal justice system have their ugly fantasy of killer cops in prison getting raped and fearing for their lives.

Individuating the concepts of punishment and justice is extremely difficult, even in theory.

RJ, based on the 1000 shit posts you've made responding to me, you have no clue who I am or what I believe in, so I really don't need your encouragement. You're better off just considering me Karl Marx and ignoring me. BYE.

If I'm wrong about that, I'm sorry. I said nothing bad about you in that post. But you felt the need to go nuclear. That's sad.

Your post was condescending, dismissing his past comments as not being in reality. This, on a subject in which he has proven to have informed and thoughtful opinions.

Telling somebody that their well thought out opinions are not reality is going to be taken as saying something bad about them.

I'm surprised there haven't been emergency lawsuits filed on behalf of inmates nationwide. There should be class action suits in many states.

This is despicable.

Ok, fuck it i'm a prison abolitionist now

Back