• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Diamond Deacs 2019 (Offseason) | 5 Deacs Drafted

Need to keep things going, realistically need to win 20 of our last 31 to get to 35 wins for NCAAT consideration. Long ways offs but we're going to have serious RPI issues (ranked 116th right now with three losses outside top 100). Just keep winning and it takes care of itself though.

Current ACC Baseball Standings:

SCHOOL ACC PCT. OVERALL PCT. HOME AWAY NEUTRAL
NC State 8-1 0.889 23-1 0.958 16-1 7-0 0-0
Clemson 6-3 0.667 18-6 0.750 15-4 3-2 0-0
Louisville 6-3 0.667 18-6 0.750 14-6 4-0 0-0
Wake Forest 5-4 0.556 15-100.625 11-5 4-4 0-0
Florida State 5-4 0.556 17-6 0.739 14-2 3-4 0-0
Georgia Tech 5-4 0.556 16-8 0.667 11-5 5-3 0-0
Virginia 5-4 0.556 13-10 0.565 12-7 1-3 0-0
Notre Dame 5-4 0.556 9-12 0.429 5-6 4-6 0-0
North Carolina 4-5 0.444 18-7 0.720 15-2 3-5 0-0
Virginia Tech 4-5 0.444 16-8 0.667 10-4 6-4 0-0
Miami 3-6 0.333 15-9 0.625 12-5 3-4 0-0
Duke 3-6 0.333 13-11 0.542 11-10 2-1 0-0
Boston College 3-6 0.333 12-11 0.522 2-2 10-7 0-2
Pitt 1-8 0.111 6-15 0.286 6-9 0-6 0-0

Deacs have won 5 of 6. This week: @ UNCG on Tuesday; @L'ville for 3 over the weekend. L'ville is ranked #16.

ACC Teams in Baseball America's current top 25:

#5 State (they are 23-1 - whoa)
#9 UNC
#16 L'ville
#21 FSU
#25 Clemson

we have series remaining at UL, at FSU, at Clemson, and vs. NCSU (plus at Pitt, vs. VT, and vs. Miami) plus 8 midweek games, 5 of them on the road

if we go:

5-7 vs. ranked teams, with 9 of those games on the road (seems ambitious but necessary)
7-2 vs. unranked ACC teams
6-2 in midweek games (5 of them on the road)
1-1 in the ACCT

that's 34-22 overall

Frick named ACC player of the week. He's been amazing this year

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Wake Forest sophomore Patrick Frick was selected as the ACC Player of the Week, the league office announced on Monday afternoon.

Frick becomes the fourth Deacon recognized as an ACC Player or Pitcher of the Week, joining Jared Shuster (twice) and Chris Lanzilli. No other program has had more than two selections this year.

The Greenville, South Carolina native batted .589 (9-for-16) last week with a home run, double, six RBIs, two walks and two stolen bases.

He started the week by going 2-for-3 with two RBIs in a blowout win over Charlotte on Tuesday.

In Saturday's 9-8 victory over Duke, Frick went 4-for-5 with a home run, a walk and two RBIs. He hit the game-tying single in the seventh inning to set up teammate Bobby Seymour's game-winning homer in the eighth.

Frick also helped the Deacs clinch the series in a 5-4 win over Duke on Sunday. Frick went 3-for-5 with a double and a walk, hitting what proved to be the game-winning RBI single in the top of the 12th inning. The only outs he recorded were a sacrifice bunt and two line drives right at the shortstop.

He raised his batting average to .378, fourth-highest in the ACC.

"Walter is not a good coach, nor has he been a good coach. Wake should have let him go years ago." I said that in 2016 on these boards, still correct. Gotta get rid of Walter, we have the facilities to succeed.

"Walter is not a good coach, nor has he been a good coach. Wake should have let him go years ago." I said that in 2016 on these boards, still correct. Gotta get rid of Walter, we have the facilities to succeed.

Recruiting partial scholarship players to an expensive school like Wake seems like a mighty challenge. The team has been good for awhile with the occasional very good team. I would wager most people are satisfied with the way things are going in baseball. The new facilities are just being completed. I expect to see a push in recruiting with that.

Remember also that JuCos are not an option for Wake Baseball recruiting. Major impediment.

Agree. Even Walter himself said this team was as good or better as the 2017 squad. This has been a disastrous season so far in comparison to preseason expectations from Walter and baseball "experts."

Recruiting partial scholarship players to an expensive school like Wake seems like a mighty challenge.

Remember also that JuCos are not an option for Wake Baseball recruiting. Major impediment.

Vanderbilt's an expensive school

the Commodores are very good in baseball

unless I am missing something, they have zero Jucos on the roster

I believe Duke also has zero Jucos on their roster

I do believe if Walter misses the tournament it's a toss up as to whether he gets the boot or not. Of course Currie may have other areas he's focusing on, but hiring a new baseball coach this summer before launching a search for a new basketball coach could be a good stepping stone.

Agree. Even Walter himself said this team was as good or better as the 2017 squad. This has been a disastrous season so far in comparison to preseason expectations from Walter and baseball "experts."

Will be a shame our head coach was mentioning Omaha before the season began to end up missing the NCAAT all together.

I was at the Duke game Sunday at the DBAP and was a little frustrated with a couple of coaching decisions Walter made during the game. That being said, I see NO scenario where it makes any sense at all to keep Danny Manning for basketball, but fire Tom Walter for baseball. I know they're different sports with different expectations and the contracts are not the same money wise, but DAMN! The eyeball test for baseball is a helluva lot better than the one for basketball.
What's next? Do you want to fire Dave Clawson if we go 5-7 next year and not make a bowl?

Vanderbilt's an expensive school

the Commodores are very good in baseball

unless I am missing something, they have zero Jucos on the roster

I believe Duke also has zero Jucos on their roster

What that is missing, that I have heard (from an ACC baseball coach speaking) and read. Vandy, UVA, and more and more, even Wake a bit (?), is to supplement the partial athletic scholarships with partial academic ones. That does seem an odd (acceptable?) work around for schools and NCAA having blinders on.
Our JC position does seem to be very restrictive on us. Not sure the main reasons behind that position, as it was OK in the past

I doubt walter gets fired if we don't make the tourney

Would be hard to fire Walter given the occasional success on the field and high-level recruiting, but agree with some level of disappointment.

I was surprised to see Cusick start yesterday after going two innings on Sunday, but the options are limited. I also see that Wyatt Beddow, one of our top recruits, is no longer listed on the official roster.

I doubt walter gets fired if we don't make the tourney

I would agree with you. We do seem to have a good many young players (Frosh, Soph). that are 'competitive' right now unless we fall flat on our face the remainder of the season.

Back