• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Diamond Deacs 2019 (Offseason) | 5 Deacs Drafted

IAppreciateIt

no bunting allowed
Reaction score
Long_Christian_051918_1606_BB.jpg

Baseball!

Last edited:
Deacs ranked preseason 20th!

https://godeacs.com/news/2019/1/14/wake-forest-ranked-no-20-by-d1baseball.aspx

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- Wake Forest is ranked No. 20 in the nation by D1Baseball heading into the 2019 season, the organization announced Monday morning.

While the Demon Deacons were ranked as high as No. 8 during the 2017 season and have been ranked multiple times in recent years, this is the program's first preseason top-25 ranking since 2003.

The Deacs return eight of the nine starters on offense, including five who were true freshmen last year. Wake Forest also returns two-thirds of its weekend rotation in Colin Peluse and Morgan McSweeney.

Wake Forest is one of five ACC programs included in the top 25, joined by No. 4 Louisville, No. 7 North Carolina, No. 13 Florida State and No. 24 Clemson.

The 2019 season begins a month from tomorrow, with the Deacs set to host Sacred Heart, Illinois and Georgetown from Feb. 15-17.

Big changes from last year:

LOSSES:
Pitching Coach Matt Hobbs
SP Griffin Roberts
3B Johnny Aiello
RP Rayne Supple
RP Chris Farish

NEW GUYS
Pitching Coach John Hendricks
OF Keegan Maronpot
A bunch of highly recruited freshmen

We also landed a grad transfer reliever Danny Barlok who has been an impressive player but will sit out the year after Tommy John.

LOSSES:
SP Griffin Roberts
3B Johnny Aiello
RP Rayne Supple
RP Chris Farish

NEW GUYS
OF Keegan Maronpot

We also landed a grad transfer reliever Danny Barlok who has been an impressive player but will sit out the year after Tommy John.

SS/INF Bruce Steel probably counts as a new guy, too.

Sounding like Peluse on Friday night. McSweeney and Bach? Flemming as 2 and 3.

Need to fill that closer role (Mendez?).

Definitely Peluse and McSweeney as the top two guys. Don't really have much confidence in Bach -- he got hype last offseason too. Really hoping for either Cusick or Beddow to be ready for the weekend -- if not, most optimistic about Shuster.

Anybody with insight/opinions on the new pitching coach. Seems that we lost a good one.

Anybody with insight/opinions on the new pitching coach. Seems that we lost a good one.

He’s a Wake legend that had a good job in the Mets’ scouting department. He has been around a lot of player development so I have high hopes. With that said, we definitely lost a good one.

LOSSES:
SP Griffin Roberts
3B Johnny Aiello
RP Rayne Supple
RP Chris Farish

NEW GUYS
OF Keegan Maronpot

I know he played at the end of the year, but you could almost throw Steel under new guys too.

I've heard that the new guy is a great fit for Wake and going to be a good one as well. Will be able to relate really well to the kids.

I've heard that the new guy is a great fit for Wake and going to be a good one as well. Will be able to relate really well to the kids.

Hendricks knows how to pitch. He didn't have overwhelming stuff during his time at Wake, but is the program leader in all time wins.

Hammond was a hell of a minor leaguer. Career .274 hitter. One of those dudes that was so close to the bigs.

Do people not remember that he played at Wake? He was a legend here

Baseball means so much more now that basketball sucks. Lets finally make a trip to Omaha this year!

Do people not remember that he played at Wake? He was a legend here

Was before my time I guess. I've only really started following the Deacs in baseball since they moved the stadium. I know....I'm a rookie.

Back