• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Diamond Deacs 2019 (Offseason) | 5 Deacs Drafted

Was before my time I guess. I've only really started following the Deacs in baseball since they moved the stadium. I know....I'm a rookie.

I saw him either tie or set the wins record at UNCG. He was a great college pitcher but topped out around 85-86 if I recall correctly. Compiled a lot of strikeouts despite the limited velocity.

Team poster:

Dw-sVTeWkAYphS3.jpg:large

Interesting that Bobby Hearn made it

We need a big year offensively from Logan. He was a black hole last year. A ton of the success a couple years ago was due to having Breazeale rake from the C spot.

We need a big year offensively from Logan. He was a black hole last year. A ton of the success a couple years ago was due to having Breazeale rake from the C spot.

if he doesnt, sounds like freshman brendan tinsman will push him hard for playing time.

Deacs vs. NCSU on Saturday, April 20. Our spring FB game is typically that weekend or the one before; would be great to pair the two that day.

March 22-April 2 could be telling. 3 with Duke in Durham, at UNCG, then 3 at Louisville, then 1 more at App St. We’ll know what we have after that stretch.

For those that didn’t follow so closely last year it warrants stating that without our complete crapfest during midweek games, we likely make the tourney.

For those that didn’t follow so closely last year it warrants stating that without our complete crapfest during midweek games, we likely make the tourney.

Need to find a guy who will be that reliable midweek starter.

muntz struggled a bit behind the plate defensively last season, i've been imaging him DH'ing a lot.

Breazeale mostly played DH that year and Harvey was still our catcher. He hit a little better that year but not by much. Most college teams have a black hole in the catcher spot. What killed us more than anything last year was our midweek starters and Aiello hitting .230 with 9 HR after going .300+ with 20 HR the previous year.

Breazeale mostly played DH that year and Harvey was still our catcher. He hit a little better that year but not by much. Most college teams have a black hole in the catcher spot. What killed us more than anything last year was our midweek starters and Aiello hitting .230 with 9 HR after going .300+ with 20 HR the previous year.

I feel like they split time pretty evenly two years ago but both were always in the lineup. You’re certainly correct about Aiello and midweek pitching.

ddb is right -- breazeale spent more time behind the plate than harvey that year (although it was close to an even split).

and harvey had the biggest drop-off at the plate, too. as a soph, he had a respectable .748 OPS with a really strong .386 OPB. last year, fell down to .580, worst on the team by far.

Wake Forest's projected lineup according to d1 baseball.

Wake Forest's Projected Lineup
Pos. Name, Yr. AVG/OBP/SLG HR RBI SB
C Logan Harvey, Sr. .215/.316/.264 0 14 1
1B Bobby Seymour, So. .286/.342/.441 7 32 2
2B Patrick Frick, Jr. .290/.405/.391 3 31 6
3B Jake Mueller, Sr. .303/.420/.360 2 20 18
SS Bruce Steel, Sr. (28 at-bats)
LF Chris Lanzilli, So. .268/.378/.529 9 33 3
CF DJ Poteet, So. .255/.385/.462 9 28 5
RF Michael Ludowig, So. .267/.350/.335 1 18 10
DH Shane Muntz, So. .253/.353/.406 5 29 1

Pos. Name, Yr. W-L ERA IP SO BB SV
RHP Colin Peluse, Jr. 6-2 3.87 83.2 63 26 0
RHP Morgan McSweeney, Jr. 2-6 4.44 73 66 39 0
LHP Jared Shuster, So. 0-3 7.41 34 32 21 0
RP Ryan Cusick, Fr. HS — Avon, Conn.

https://d1baseball.com/season-preview/2019-top-25-breakdown-no-20-wake-forest/

From D1 Baseball Top 25 Chat:

Anthony: Surprised to see Wake pushed so high after a down year and losing Roberts. Is that just projected development among the returnees?

Aaron Fitt: Anthony, we are certainly making a bit of a bold prediction by ranking Wake Forest after they had a losing season in 2018 — but I really believe in the talent and depth. Remember that last year they were very young, playing a bunch of freshmen every day, but those freshmen were very talented and they will benefit greatly from getting so much early playing time. I expect big things from DJ Poteet, Michael Ludowig, Chris Lanzilli, Bobby Seymour and Shane Muntz as sophomores — and Peluse-McSweeney has a chance to be a truly dominant one-two punch on the mound. That pitching staff is a lot deeper, they’ve done a great job recruiting quality arms the last few years. And the veterans who were suspended last year really hurt them, but getting Bruce Steel back to go with Jake Mueller in the middle infield gives Wake a really nice veteran core in the heart of the defense. I think it’s a balanced, complete club.

https://d1baseball.com/chats/2019top-25-chat-preseason-edition/

Have not seen it but have heard there is also some sort of 3D hitting addition to the baseball complex as well. I think they are still trying to get it set up. Pretty much will be able to see potential pitchers the Deacs will face before they even step foot in the box. Have heard Wake is the only one with this with Vandy and LSU trying to do the same. Someone here might be able to explain it better than I can. Sounds pretty neat and should give Wake a nice edge for a bit.

Back