• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Diamond Deacs 2019 (Offseason) | 5 Deacs Drafted

Wake Forest's projected lineup according to d1 baseball.

Wake Forest's Projected Lineup
Pos. Name, Yr. AVG/OBP/SLG HR RBI SB
C Logan Harvey, Sr. .215/.316/.264 0 14 1
1B Bobby Seymour, So. .286/.342/.441 7 32 2
2B Patrick Frick, Jr. .290/.405/.391 3 31 6
3B Jake Mueller, Sr. .303/.420/.360 2 20 18
SS Bruce Steel, Sr. (28 at-bats)
LF Chris Lanzilli, So. .268/.378/.529 9 33 3
CF DJ Poteet, So. .255/.385/.462 9 28 5
RF Michael Ludowig, So. .267/.350/.335 1 18 10
DH Shane Muntz, So. .253/.353/.406 5 29 1

Pos. Name, Yr. W-L ERA IP SO BB SV
RHP Colin Peluse, Jr. 6-2 3.87 83.2 63 26 0
RHP Morgan McSweeney, Jr. 2-6 4.44 73 66 39 0
LHP Jared Shuster, So. 0-3 7.41 34 32 21 0
RP Ryan Cusick, Fr. HS — Avon, Conn.

https://d1baseball.com/season-preview/2019-top-25-breakdown-no-20-wake-forest/

i think improved lineup depth is gonna be the biggest improvement. along with those guys, you have keegan maronpot who i think will have a big year, christian long who supposedly had an impressive offseason plus a bunch of freshmen who should be able to contribute — tinsman, turconi, mas. plus cole mcnamee.

could have a good opportunity for some platooning. also depends on which of last year’s freshmen take the biggest jump

i think improved lineup depth is gonna be the biggest improvement. along with those guys, you have keegan maronpot who i think will have a big year, christian long who supposedly had an impressive offseason plus a bunch of freshmen who should be able to contribute — tinsman, turconi, mas. plus cole mcnamee.

could have a good opportunity for some platooning. also depends on which of last year’s freshmen take the biggest jump

D1 baseball was very high on Ludowig and Poteet on their podcast. One of their main writers, Aaron Fitt, lives in Durham so he's seen them quite a few times.

Will our new technical facilities negate the private school/partial scholarship penalty?

The college baseball scholarship rules are weird to me.

We always talk about how hard it is to recruit for basketball/football to a school like Wake, but it baffles me we can field as competitive baseball teams as we do with a measly 11.7 scholarships.

We always talk about how hard it is to recruit for basketball/football to a school like Wake, but it baffles me we can field as competitive baseball teams as we do with a measly 11.7 scholarships.

Agreed. And it’s even worse for men’s soccer (10 scholarships) and tennis (4.5 scholarships), which are not even enough scholarships to field full teams but we’re doing incredibly well in those sports.

I totally agree.. With our price tag, it's a miracle we are good at sports without full scholarship support.

I totally agree.. With our price tag, it's a miracle we are good at sports without full scholarship support.

Wake has gotten better at creative financing of the part of the cost of attendance that isn't covered by scholarship.

Being one of the best developmental programs in the country

Agreed. And it’s even worse for men’s soccer (10 scholarships) and tennis (4.5 scholarships), which are not even enough scholarships to field full teams but we’re doing incredibly well in those sports.

I still think baseball is worse. There are more pitchers than scholarships on most D1 teams.

It is ridiculous that a 3rd string football player gets a full ride when a starting baseball player, or tennis player, does not.

It is ridiculous that a 3rd string football player gets a full ride when a starting baseball player, or tennis player, does not.

Title IX evening out scholarships between men and women is part of the answer. Men's programs chose (NCAA collectively) to keep the football scholarship numbers high and cut those for many other sports. Football (and basketball) pays the bills.

Title IX evening out scholarships between men and women is part of the answer. Men's programs chose (NCAA collectively) to keep the football scholarship numbers high and cut those for many other sports. Football (and basketball) pays the bills.

I knew that's why they did it. But there are so many Div 1 baseball and soccer games on TV now I wonder if it is time to revisit the rules. Or maybe it's working just fine. I have no idea. It is funny to me that the NCAA scholarship rules combined with MLB draft rules sends a lot of the talent to JUCO.

PSA!!!! Stop being obsessed with this doomed basketball team and follow this exciting team!

I knew that's why they did it. But there are so many Div 1 baseball and soccer games on TV now I wonder if it is time to revisit the rules. Or maybe it's working just fine. I have no idea. It is funny to me that the NCAA scholarship rules combined with MLB draft rules sends a lot of the talent to JUCO.

And that is a major hindrance to Wake baseball. JuCo players who aren't happy with their draft positions could be very, very helpful to Wake in a quest for another trip to Omaha. But, alas, Wake effectively doesn't take JuCo students, even if they were fully qualified out of HS.

Maronpot no longer enrolled in school and is off the team. Added a transfer from Cincy and two early enrollees to the team including Hite Merrifield (Whit’s brother).

Back