• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Difference a Coach can make

82deacman

Reaction score
Obviously the examples of NC State and Va Tech are glaring examples of really good coaching hires and the results thereof. But the most glaring is Pitt going from no conference wins in 2018 to 2-2 right now with a great win over the 11th ranked team in the country.

Really disheartening!

Pitt was all time ACC top 5 bad last year. In less than a year Capel has taken them from KP 227 to 68. Evidently some coaches don't require 5 years to get their players, hang their hat on whatever they're hanging it on, get their players to lock in, and prove that they are fine.

Their 2 freshmen guards are the difference. McGowen decided on
Pitt over Wake he's scored 62 in his last 2 games. Of course FSU shooting 2-23 from 3 certainly helped. Pitt is fun to watch. They play with enthusiasm. We look like cadavers - reflecting our coach.

I don't remember. It's been so long since we had a coach.

2 years ago I sat in the Joel and watched us destroy State and their lame duck coach. State's program was in turmoil and we appeared to maybe be finally on an uptick, only because of John Collins in all honesty. 2 years later State appears to have found a very good young coach and we're still stuck with Manning and in a worse place than at the end of the [Redacted] era.

Rick Barnes at Tennessee is a pretty spectacular example.

looking ahead to next week.
aghast!

At UVA on a TUESDAY!!! it must be asked. will wake even score in charlottesville?

It's just amazing how schools like Auburn, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Pittsburgh, Vtech, FSU, all who have little basketball tradition, are able to land good coaches and become relevant, while it seems like Wake can't hire a team water boy to coach their team. I get Wake is harder to recruit at due to standards, but it's truly embarassing. I just can't believe [redacted] and Danny Manning were the best hires Wellman could make for the flagship program.

It's just amazing how schools like Auburn, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Pittsburgh, Vtech, FSU, all who have little basketball tradition, are able to land good coaches and become relevant, while it seems like Wake can't hire a team water boy to coach their team. I get Wake is harder to recruit at due to standards, but it's truly embarassing. I just can't believe [redacted] and Danny Manning were the best hires Wellman could make for the flagship program.

And people keep telling us Wellman is not an idiot. Seems illogical.

Back