• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mel Stottlemyre Passed Away

Deaconblue

Reaction score
Former Yankees pitcher and pitching coach for several teams, Mel Stottlemyre passed away Sunday.
Mel Stottlemyre was a 20 game winner three times and made five all star teams with the Yankees. As a rookie in 1964, he started three world series games against Bob Gibson of the St. Louis Cardinals, including the deciding seventh game, won by the Cardinals. The Yankees never made the post season again during his playing years.

He became pitching coach and worked for the Yankees and Mets. He received five World Series Rings as the pitching staffs he coached won the World Series five times.

Trivia note: he was the last pitcher to hit an inside the park grand slam homerun (1965)

That is a great trivia note. It may never happen again.

I used to have a Mel Stottlemyre baseball card, but no idea where my collection (in a shoebox) went.

Last edited:
He was a really good pitcher and better coach. Everyone seemed to like him in both roles.

RIP

That is a great trivia note. It may never happen again.

I used to have a Mel Stottlemyre baseball card, but no idea where my collection (in a shoebox) went.

I am always hesitant to say that something cannot be repeated as long as the conditions exist. But the way baseball is played today, it will be very, very rare for a pitcher to bat with bases loaded. Would have to be relatively early in the game, with a starting pitcher cruising and his team's offense rolling.

I am always hesitant to say that something cannot be repeated as long as the conditions exist. But the way baseball is played today, it will be very, very rare for a pitcher to bat with bases loaded. Would have to be relatively early in the game, with a starting pitcher cruising and his team's offense rolling.

There also aren't any MLB stadiums with the centerfield (461') and left-center (457') depth of the old Yankee Stadium

Back