• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Parliament rejects Brexit deal

Aside from Puerto Rico, Americans suck at protesting.

We really do. The women’s march following Trump’s election has been the only bright spot.

I do think the protest energy is going into organizing. We will see how it turns out.

In an extraordinary purge, the 21 Conservative lawmakers who voted in favor of the measure were booted out of the parliamentary party. Kenneth Clarke, who has been a Conservative lawmaker for 49 years, told the BBC he was sanguine about the decision. Clarke said his party had been taken over by extremists: "Anyone who who comes up to me and tells me I'm not a Conservative is taking an odd political view. It's the Brexit Party rebadged."

Other prominent lawmakers to be fired included former finance minister Philip Hammond, and the grandson of Winston Churchill, Nicholas Soames. "I knew what I was doing," Soames told the Newsnight program. The move detonated the Conservative Party's parliamentary majority, which dropped to zero earlier in the day when an MP defected to a rival party in dramatic fashion.

Just another normal day.

BTW, the video in this is something else:

Link

"Not a good start, Boris!"

After the unanimous Supreme Court ruling today, it's descended into a complete farce at this point and I see no way it's resolved.

What's making it worse is that Labour is somehow possibly even more of a mess than the Tories.

What a stupid mess.

I can't see where this possibly ends up - the Tories are split and they will never have a large enough majority to overcome their "European Research Group" arm that wants a hard Brexit to push through a deal. Labour is split because the leader of Labour is eurosceptic and likely cannot build a coalition to become Prime Minister anyways.

Honestly, this is just going to get extended and extended and extended until one faction or the other (no deal, deal or hard brexit) gets an outright majority in parliament. Right now, the path to that looks nearly impossible. It could be another 5 years before this resolved in any way.

Vad, is the EU just going to continue this ad nauseum until parliament figures out a solution? Why wouldn't they just say that 10/31 is a hard and fast date, and if there is no deal in place, there will just be a no deal brexit.

What does the EU even want out of this? Are they working toward a desired outcome? Are they trying to get the UK to stay or are they just ready to move on?

I can't see where this possibly ends up - the Tories are split and they will never have a large enough majority to overcome their "European Research Group" arm that wants a hard Brexit to push through a deal. Labour is split because the leader of Labour is eurosceptic and likely cannot build a coalition to become Prime Minister anyways.

Honestly, this is just going to get extended and extended and extended until one faction or the other (no deal, deal or hard brexit) gets an outright majority in parliament. Right now, the path to that looks nearly impossible. It could be another 5 years before this resolved in any way.

VAD, until Brexit actually happens has anything changed?

If not, could it be like those stores who are having "going out of business" sales for years and years.

VAD, until Brexit actually happens has anything changed?

The uncertainty has hurt already, as businesses are less willing to open new operations in the UK, or are moving them to the continent.

For example, easyJet (the 2nd largest budget airline in Europe) is shifting a large part of their fleet and staff to a new airline called easyJet Europe which I s headquartered here in Veinna, which is in full operation since March of this year.

It's "little" stuff like that which is chipping away at the UK economy and it's overall role in Europe because of the uncertainty. A hard Brexit would accelerate that obviously, but even the status quo is very damaging.

UK needs a stable deal, and needs it badly.

I figured that, but if it's seen as continually kicking the can down the road, would it get baked in until the UK reverses it on another vote.

RJ, how are sales of MyLifeCard going in the UK versus on the continent ? Feeling any effects from Brexit ?

British PM Boris Johnson has lost yet another vote in Parliament on Brexit. He had a deal with the EU, but the House of Commons voted today to delay a decision on it, forcing Johnson to ask the EU for another extension of Brexit (the current deadline is October 31.) Many doubt whether the EU will be willing to give another extension. After he lost the vote 322-306, Johnson indicated that, in the best Trumpian fashion, he might simply ignore the vote and refuse to ask the EU for a Brexit extension, to which Jeremy Corbyn, the Labor opposition leader, replied would lead to Johnson "finding himself in a court of law." The leaders of the Scottish National Party & Liberal Democrats agreed with Corbyn, and gave their own warnings to Johnson. What a mess.

Link: https://www.cnn.com/uk/live-news/brexit-deal-vote-boris-johnson-dle-oct-19-intl-gbr/index.html

Last edited:
Back