• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Parliament rejects Brexit deal

Yea, the economy could be humming, Roe v Wade reversed, ISIS defeated, Paul Ryan as president, Tebow as VP, prayer in every classroom in America before every test, guns on the hips of all teachers and pastors, and conservatives and their media would still find someone to be terrified of causing division within their utopia.

Yea, the economy could be humming, Roe v Wade reversed, ISIS defeated, Paul Ryan as president, Tebow as VP, prayer in every classroom in America before every test, guns on the hips of all teachers and pastors, and conservatives and their media would still find someone to be terrified of causing division within their utopia.

Minus the economy humming, if all that shit happened I'm out of here.

I'd pull my retirement savings, invoke the penalty, and me and the wife would be off to Costa Rica or Panama for life.

Putin is smiling broadly. He has won the last part of this decade HUGELY...

I think democracy is pretty cool, but conservatives have fucked it all up with their fear of every god damn thing you can think of. I mean shit, these assholes and Islamic terrorists (also conservatives) are the bane of mankind’s existence. They’re the big fuck up, not the pilgrims and gays and women and minorities.

It’s the fucking conservatives, man.

To be fair, isn't Labour also split over Brexit? My recollection was that the original vote didn't break cleanly among party lines and that May and Cameron were in the remain camp. I think the Liberal Democrats have been the party most consistently against Brexit all along. My biggest concern is how big a ripple effect a hard Brexit could have, and it seems that is where they are headed if the EU doesn't agree to an extension, and the UK doesn't have a new referendum.

Some Labour members (not many) may have jumped on the Leave train, but the only reason a vote happened in the first place was because of the nuthouse conservatives in the UK Independence Party. They then trotted out their normal outright lies and fabrications to fool the British people into voting against their own interests, because dirty foreigners

Some Labour members (not many) may have jumped on the Leave train, but the only reason a vote happened in the first place was because of the nuthouse conservatives in the UK Independence Party. They then trotted out their normal outright lies and fabrications to fool the British people into voting against their own interests, because dirty foreigners

Didn't several of the leaders of Brexit, like blowhard Boris Johnson, resign following the vote rather than help with the gritty, nuts-and-bolts work of negotiating and getting the UK out of the EU? I seem to remember reading some post-vote articles about the right-wingers who loudly were in favor of Brexit, but privately didn't think it would pass, and when it did, they quit rather than deal with the consequences. We're living in an age of blowhard media pols and pundits who don't actually want to do the grunt work of administration and running a country.

49450552_10215159212347820_6713473516500418560_n.jpg

Didn't several of the leaders of Brexit, like blowhard Boris Johnson, resign following the vote rather than help with the gritty, nuts-and-bolts work of negotiating and getting the UK out of the EU? I seem to remember reading some post-vote articles about the right-wingers who loudly were in favor of Brexit, but privately didn't think it would pass, and when it did, they quit rather than deal with the consequences. We're living in an age of blowhard media pols and pundits who don't actually want to do the grunt work of administration and running a country.

The 2 figures I most associated with Brexit were Johnson and Nigel Farage, who is a UKIPer. But Johnson didn't resign. He's still an MP. There was considerable speculation that he'd take over after Camerson but he didn't run. Then he became foreign secretary under May and did resign that post sometime in the last year, presumably over Brexit negotiations. Agree completely that he and Farage are lying blowhards.

I feel a little bad for May since as a Remainer she has to try and push through Brexit, especially with all the UKIPers-in-disguise in her party who will never be satisfied. Cameron, a Remainer, made the referendum happen, got the result he didn't want, and quit, and then the people who actually wanted Brexit -- most notably Johnson -- refused to run to replace him. It was thus left to everyone else to pick up the pieces

The 2 figures I most associated with Brexit were Johnson and Nigel Farage, who is a UKIPer. But Johnson didn't resign. He's still an MP. There was considerable speculation that he'd take over after Camerson but he didn't run. Then he became foreign secretary under May and did resign that post sometime in the last year, presumably over Brexit negotiations. Agree completely that he and Farage are lying blowhards.

Johnson quit as foreign secretary just last summer. His main role was to negotiate the brexit plan but he disagreed with May on the speed and finality of the withdrawal. May wanted a soft gradual exit Boris wanted a faster more concrete exit, so he quit.

I've read that there's growing sentiment to simply have another referendum, as polls now show that staying in the EU would win by a pretty comfortable margin. May has been stoutly opposed to that idea, though, and so have conservatives as a whole, so I don't know if that's a realistic option.

To be fair, polls prior to the original brexit vote indicated that remainers would win, albeit by a small margin.

And that's also why I think another vote isn't a particularly good idea. Did the Brexiters botch the execution of their master plan? Of course. But they also disagreed with the executor. It'd be like if some how the affordable care act passed, but it was up to Trump to implement it. The people who wanted it would say it only didn't work because of who was at the helm, thus, honor the original vote and alter the execution.

Apparently there are no laws stopping another vote, but personally, I just don't know if that's the right answer since no form of the original referendum was put into action.

Last edited:
But there's no significant movement afoot to replace May. The Brexiteers seem to be pushing for a no-deal Brexit, which would have harsh impacts on a large portion of the British people, is not what they originally voted for and would not be popular in a new referendum

But there's no significant movement afoot to replace May. The Brexiteers seem to be pushing for a no-deal Brexit, which would have harsh impacts on a large portion of the British people, is not what they originally voted for and would not be popular in a new referendum

Yeah, it all really boils down to a bunch of populist rubes complaining about something they clearly didn't understand, and the message made it to higher up rubes. Much like the conservative party in the US, or at least the Tea Party.

To be fair, I would think there are only a handful of people in the world, if any, qualified to make such a move effectively.

Last edited:
Johnson quit as foreign secretary just last summer. His main role was to negotiate the brexit plan but he disagreed with May on the speed and finality of the withdrawal. May wanted a soft gradual exit Boris wanted a faster more concrete exit, so he quit.

My impression from across the pond in the far off bleachers was that Boris was a chickenshite throughout the whole process. He was 1 of the foremost Brexiteers who shied away from becoming PM and thus implementing what he helped create. Then he resigned as foreign secretary when the shite came closer to hitting the fan saying he had philosophical differences with May.

My favorite Boris moment was when he did a press conference soon after he became foreign secretary with John Kerry. One of the reporters was pressing him on 1 of his rather strange positions about Obama, and he was walking it back. And Kerry seemed to laugh a little and then tried to keep a straight face and must have been saying to himself Must Not Laugh.

And that's also why I think another vote isn't a particularly good idea. Did the Brexiters botch the execution of their master plan? Of course. But they also disagreed with the executor. It'd be like if some how the affordable care act passed, but it was up to Trump to implement it. The people who wanted it would say it only didn't work because of who was at the helm, thus, honor the original vote and alter the execution.

Apparently there are no laws stopping another vote, but personally, I just don't know if that's the right answer since no form of the original referendum was put into action.

They also had a General election following the Brexit vote and Cameron's resignation and May not only failed to consolidate power with in her own party and expand her majority, she lost seats and was forced to form a coalition with the far right Northern Ireland Party. They have had at least two or three opportunities to find leadership capable (through internal leadership votes and through the election) of executing Brexit and maybe it can't be done satisfactorily. The mps, that the people sent to parliament, want to have all the economic benefits of the Eu with out being a member of the EU, that's just not possible, so now that the population has a pile of new information about what brexit will actually look like, a revote is not outlandish.

It’s not funny, but also it’s SUPER funny. Fuck the Tories.

Back