• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Vikings

DeacsPop

Resident Old Man
Reaction score
Is anyone still watching this Series? A once great Series has completely gone down the toilet.
Sad. I use to look forward to watching it.

I'm catching up and am either at the end of season 2 or early season three. Are you saying I should abandon ship now.

I like Netflix's The Last Kingdom better.

It was damn good until [redacted] died and [redacted] decided to stay in [redacted].

Yes, the Last Kingdom is fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was damn good until died and decided to stay in .

Yes, the Last Kingdom is fantastic.

Not to be that guy, but the books for Last Kingdom are so much better (at least the early ones). The over simplified story line and the lack of decent acting by Uhtred, son Uhtred has really worn on me.

But back to Vikings, Ivar is a pyscho, Bjorn is a caricature and I don't really know what the other brothers are doing. Still I'll keep watching.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I watched most of the first two season, but wasn't really buying Donal Logue as a Viking king.

Well done spoiling a big development for someone posting immediately prior that he is on s2.

Ya dude, how dare you spoil what happened in the 9th Century. I bet you told everyone Lincoln got shot at the end of Lincoln too.

I watched the first season or two but kind of just stopped. One Viking show I have loved is Norsemen. It's amazing. Hilarious and gory and ridiculous. And they are short eps so you can blow through the released seasons really quickly.

Ya dude, how dare you spoil what happened in the 9th Century. I bet you told everyone Lincoln got shot at the end of Lincoln too.

Yeah I'm sure we're all up to date on our 9th century viking history. Little different than Lincoln.

I watched the first season or two but kind of just stopped. One Viking show I have loved is Norsemen. It's amazing. Hilarious and gory and ridiculous. And they are short eps so you can blow through the released seasons really quickly.

I really enjoyed it too. Watched it twice.

I'm catching up and am either at the end of season 2 or early season three. Are you saying I should abandon ship now.

I like Netflix's The Last Kingdom better.

No; thought the first 3 seasons were awesome. 4th just ok but the last 2 have been a snoozefest.

Yeah I'm sure we're all up to date on our 9th century viking history. Little different than Lincoln.

Can you spoil something that is regarded as to have happened in history? *Warning* Potential spoilers follow, I guess based on your view.

I understand you can spoil fiction, because there are no other avenues for learning of the conclusion of the story other than the piece of fiction itself. While Vikings is not completely historically accurate, it does base itself on English History and the Viking Sagas, and thus the conclusion of many of the characters can be gleamed from historical knowledge. Rollo becomes the founder of Norman Dynasty and Ragnar's death is what spurs the Viking invasion of England, resulting in unification of England under King Alfred, this is all regarded as fact. The quote from the show, "how the piglets would grunt if they knew how the old boar suffered," are believed to be Ragnar's final words.

The Last Kingdom on the other hand, while also taking place during the same time period, centers around a fictitious main character, whose conclusion we can not know from sources other than the material produced by the author. But the narrative, the unification of England under Alfred is the basis for the tale, and it is common knowledge that England is one country and not ruled by the Danes.

So I would argue that a person could spoil the Last Kingdom, because of the fictitious nature of the main character, but could not spoil the milestones of the series, because they are based on history, such as the death and titles of the characters who are actual people. If you instead argue that a person can spoil a series because the history is not common knowledge, who defines common knowledge? Is Spartacus dying at the end of Spartacus a spoiler? How about Roger Bannister running a 4 minute mile at the end of 4 minutes?

tl;dr You cant spoil history

Vikings was a great show. The writing has really fallen off and the acting has devolved into emoting. Really awful. I still watch it, but under protest. Last Kingdom is a great show. I enjoyed the last season as much as the previous ones.

Back