• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The threat to all of football--Insurance or lack thereof

TheReff

Rod Griffin
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...ing-major-threat-nfl-pop-warner-colleges-espn

"From the NFL to rec leagues, football is facing a stark, new threat: an evaporating insurance market that is fundamentally altering the economics of the sport, squeezing and even killing off programs faced with higher costs and a scarcity of available coverage, an Outside the Lines investigation has found.

The NFL no longer has general liability insurance covering head trauma, according to multiple sources; just one carrier is willing to provide workers' compensation coverage for NFL teams. Before concussion litigation roiled the NFL beginning in 2011, at least a dozen carriers occupied the insurance market for pro football, according to industry experts.

The insurance choices for football helmet manufacturers are equally slim; one helmet company executive said he was aware of only one. Pop Warner Little Scholars, which oversees 225,000 youth players, was forced to switch insurers after its longtime carrier, a subsidiary of the insurance giant AIG, refused to provide coverage without an exclusion for any neurological injury.

"People say football will never go away, but if we can't get insurance, it will," Jon Butler, Pop Warner's executive director, lamented to colleagues after discovering that just one carrier was willing to cover the organization for head trauma, according to a person who was present.

Dr. Julian Bailes, Pop Warner's medical director and a member of the NFL's Head, Neck and Spine Committee, told Outside the Lines "insurance coverage is arguably the biggest threat to the sport."

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...ing-major-threat-nfl-pop-warner-colleges-espn

"From the NFL to rec leagues, football is facing a stark, new threat: an evaporating insurance market that is fundamentally altering the economics of the sport, squeezing and even killing off programs faced with higher costs and a scarcity of available coverage, an Outside the Lines investigation has found.

The NFL no longer has general liability insurance covering head trauma, according to multiple sources; just one carrier is willing to provide workers' compensation coverage for NFL teams. Before concussion litigation roiled the NFL beginning in 2011, at least a dozen carriers occupied the insurance market for pro football, according to industry experts.

The insurance choices for football helmet manufacturers are equally slim; one helmet company executive said he was aware of only one. Pop Warner Little Scholars, which oversees 225,000 youth players, was forced to switch insurers after its longtime carrier, a subsidiary of the insurance giant AIG, refused to provide coverage without an exclusion for any neurological injury.

"People say football will never go away, but if we can't get insurance, it will," Jon Butler, Pop Warner's executive director, lamented to colleagues after discovering that just one carrier was willing to cover the organization for head trauma, according to a person who was present.

Dr. Julian Bailes, Pop Warner's medical director and a member of the NFL's Head, Neck and Spine Committee, told Outside the Lines "insurance coverage is arguably the biggest threat to the sport."

This is because actuarial science, isn't actually a science.

If insurance across the board is unwillng to price the risk they’re going to risk losing a lot of other business. And the government is most unlikely to provide any “safety net.” Tisk tisk. Once waivers are sent to parents stating no coverage for any head trauma, game over. Hard to imagine all insurers abandon this market because they’ve been in it for so long, plus the protocols in place now have greatly improved their exposure to claims. Interesting.

not that hard to imagine when you consider the flood insurance market's condition

They probably will. Issue is at lower levels before kids are pros.

Seems like some municipalities have taken to playing flag football up to the middle school levels instead of letting the kids play tackle. Of course it has met with much resistance with a lot of hard core Dads out there but I am sure many of the mothers were happy. But at least the kids could learn the basics of running, throwing & catching without actually lowering their soft heads and tackling.

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/...-comparisons-nanny-state-grass-roots-politics

Don't the insurance companies know this is the only sport which creates the kind of male leaders we need in this world?

I lived. So did everyone else I played with / against. Shrug ...

My parents took out the seats of our 1988 Chevy Astro when we drove from NC to Disney World, and we rode in the back on bean bag chairs down I-95. I lived. So did my brother and sister. Shrug ...

Back