• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump Directed His Attorney To Lie to Congress

I would imagine Fox News is looking for something a little more concrete to report on than anonymous sources told Buzz feed something. Especially when it is a highly negative story concerning a republican. While it’s most likely true I don’t feel like major news outlets should be covering this yet until legit reporters are getting the sources. There’s a reason someone would leak something to Buzz Feed instead of a more reputable news organization.

i...uh...didn't know there was a difference

Admittedly, BuzzFeed News is a division of BuzzFeed, but it's more of a commentary on the types of folks (like Catamount) who are too willing to throw the whole site under the bus because of their non-news content, when they have some genuinely good, well-respected journalists there.

No, it gives them the opportunity to show that they don't care about the rule of law. And they need to be forced to take that step.

I wish there was enough morality on the right that it would be the case. If they don’t remove him, they are elevating him to king. He becomes a triumphant lord who survived a coup attempt by the unwashed masses. I don’t think they pay a price for it from voters either.

As I've said over and over again, the DEMS should NOT nonimate anyone over 60 for POTUS in 2020

i...uh...didn't know there was a difference

Yeah - they may want to change the name.

LOL. It’s like how Fox is the channel that gave us Martin, Living Single, and In Living Color and televises football every Sunday in the Fall and Fox News hates black people and thinks football players hate America.

they're all just so scared of the rube base primarying them. them, members of the party that proclaims itself to be the one that cares about patriotism and the rule of law, are putting their seats in power above all else.

just absolutely gutless.

LOL. It’s like how Fox is the channel that gave us Martin, Living Single, and In Living Color and televises football every Sunday in the Fall and Fox News hates black people and thinks football players hate America.

The problem is the word "Buzzfeed" -- hard to take it seriously. Call it "The Feed" or "Feed News, a Division of Buzzfeed" or "NewsFood, the News You Need To (Buzz)Feed On"

I wish there was enough morality on the right that it would be the case. If they don’t remove him, they are elevating him to king. He becomes a triumphant lord who survived a coup attempt by the unwashed masses. I don’t think they pay a price for it from voters either.

If they don't remove him despite incontrovertible evidence (which will be highly publicized during impeachment hearings and can't be buried), I think they will pay a political price. And even if they don't remove him, it wouldn't stop criminal proceedings after he left office.

If they don't remove him despite incontrovertible evidence (which will be highly publicized during impeachment hearings and can't be buried), I think they will pay a political price. And even if they don't remove him, it wouldn't stop criminal proceedings after he left office.

While I would really like to see impeachment proceedings happen, I almost think it would be better to let the condemnations pile up on Trump during these next 18-20 months so he cannot seek reelection w/o the R party as a whole sinking under that weight. Let him twist in the wind and upon leaving office have at him. Sort of like Jared from Subway, when he was doing commercials everyone loved him, but once he stopped we found out how skeezy he really was and he got his.

It took less than two months to impeach Clinton for nothing. These impeachment preceding would be much longer than that.

Why? Assuming they have Mueller’s full report it shouldn’t take the House long to have a few follow-up hearings before drawing up the articles.

A junior staffer could probably write up articles of impeachment based solely on public information in a week that would be sufficient to convict the president in a normal Senate.

You have to impeach him regardless of what else Mueller has regardless of how it plays politically. There are things more important than what moves poll numbers. A president isn’t above the law.

I don't know that we're ever going to have a successful impeachment and conviction, even if our republic were to last another 2 centuries. The Clinton impeachment was a weak and partisan show that never had a serious chance of succeeding. Nixon didn't have to be impeached because, after enough damning Watergate evidence came out, Goldwater and a respected house Pub went to Nixon and told him he didn't have the votes and needed to resign. You just can't successfully impeach and convict solely on party lines. You need erosion of Pub support in congress so that it is bipartisan. In order to get that, you need erosion of Trump support among Pub voters. And we're not there yet. May never get there.

The other thing is the timing. Ph is right. This impeachment and trial would be at least several months because there is a mountain of evidence to sift through, compared to the rather easy case of Bubba lying about a blow job. And you probably can't do that in an election year from a practical political perspective, which means you'd probably have to begin such proceedings by sometime this summer. And we don't have the whole Mueller report yet - we just have a few leaks and info from some investigative reporting. We don't do a damn thing till Muller releases his report.

And for those who want to impeach right away, here's our worst nightmare. Let's say you do impeach. The senate then acquits Trump on all charges. Then you want to prosecute him criminally after his presidency. That acquittal in the senate will go a long way toward establishing reasonable doubt in the minds of 12 of our not the sharpest tools in the shed. That's assuming double jeopardy hasn't attached to begin with. (I'm guessing an impeachment and trial and the senate wouldn't count as a 1st trial for double jeopardy purposes, but I'm not positive.) And it's not like we can try and execute him like Khrushchev did to Beria, so let's be patient.

Look, I get we're all frustrated, and y'all want your pound of flesh. But I'd rather not engage in a political stunt that is bound for failure when that might hurt a prosecutor's chance of getting a conviction at some point later - or sooner if it is determined that criminal charges can be brought against a sitting president. And all we have right now, in terms of enough evidence to convict, is evidence of obstruction of justice. But what Mueller may still be sitting on could go a whole lot further than that. I'm thinking money laundering, income tax evasion, conspiring with a hostile foreign power to influence an election, being an agent of a foreign power without registering as such - you know, some potentially treasonous stuff. I could give a shite about a pee pee tape or even obstruction, which is what Bubba was impeached on. If Trump has been engaged in more serious crimes, I want him in jail for the rest of his life - sorry abolitionists. But that ain't happening from a partisan impeachment.

Why? Assuming they have Mueller’s full report it shouldn’t take the House long to have a few follow-up hearings before drawing up the articles.

A junior staffer could probably write up articles of impeachment based solely on public information in a week that would be sufficient to convict the president in a normal Senate.

Sure but you would want to include all of them in the articles.

I don't know that we're ever going to have a successful impeachment and conviction, even if our republic were to last another 2 centuries. The Clinton impeachment was a weak and partisan show that never had a serious chance of succeeding. Nixon didn't have to be impeached because, after enough damning Watergate evidence came out, Goldwater and a respected house Pub went to Nixon and told him he didn't have the votes and needed to resign. You just can't successfully impeach and convict solely on party lines. You need erosion of Pub support in congress so that it is bipartisan. In order to get that, you need erosion of Trump support among Pub voters. And we're not there yet. May never get there.

The other thing is the timing. Ph is right. This impeachment and trial would be at least several months because there is a mountain of evidence to sift through, compared to the rather easy case of Bubba lying about a blow job. And you probably can't do that in an election year from a practical political perspective, which means you'd probably have to begin such proceedings by sometime this summer. And we don't have the whole Mueller report yet - we just have a few leaks and info from some investigative reporting. We don't do a damn thing till Muller releases his report.

And for those who want to impeach right away, here's our worst nightmare. Let's say you do impeach. The senate then acquits Trump on all charges. Then you want to prosecute him criminally after his presidency. That acquittal in the senate will go a long way toward establishing reasonable doubt in the minds of 12 of our not the sharpest tools in the shed. That's assuming double jeopardy hasn't attached to begin with. (I'm guessing an impeachment and trial and the senate wouldn't count as a 1st trial for double jeopardy purposes, but I'm not positive.) And it's not like we can try and execute him like Khrushchev did to Beria, so let's be patient.

Look, I get we're all frustrated, and y'all want your pound of flesh. But I'd rather not engage in a political stunt that is bound for failure when that might hurt a prosecutor's chance of getting a conviction at some point later - or sooner if it is determined that criminal charges can be brought against a sitting president. And all we have right now, in terms of enough evidence to convict, is evidence of obstruction of justice. But what Mueller may still be sitting on could go a whole lot further than that. I'm thinking money laundering, income tax evasion, conspiring with a hostile foreign power to influence an election, being an agent of a foreign power without registering as such - you know, some potentially treasonous stuff. I could give a shite about a pee pee tape or even obstruction, which is what Bubba was impeached on. If Trump has been engaged in more serious crimes, I want him in jail for the rest of his life - sorry abolitionists. But that ain't happening from a partisan impeachment.

Damn it cville, you make a convincing case for waiting this out as painful as it may be.

Forcing him to resign as part of an agreement to go easy on Don Jr and Ivanka could be another way out of this too.

Back