• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report -- Virginia Tech Hokies -- Saturday 4 pm -- ACC Network

Pilchard

Reaction score
Deacs are riding a sweet 1 game winning streak into Blacksburg, VA to take on Buzz Williams' Hokies. Here is the skinny:

Record: VT gets a lot of respect in the KP rankings. He has them #7 in the nation, ahead of heavyweights UNC, Kansas and KY among others. Tech is 14-2 on the season, and is 3rd in the country in margin of victory. They put on some massive beat-downs on weak opponents this year. Off of VT's first loss, VT beat #255 Central Connecticut by 54. VT has top 100 wins over: #89 Ball State, #98 Northeastern (by 28), #15 Purdue, #45 Washington, #75 Notre Dame (by 25), and #68 GT. VT also beat Gardner-Webb by 28. Tech's two losses are a 1 pointer at Penn State and by 22 to UVA (VT's last game).

Offense: Really good #7. VT's shoots the ball very well. They take a lot 3 pointers (39% of their offense), and they make a lot of treys (41.8% - #4 in the nation). Tech can score inside as well as they shoot 56% (#31) on 2s. The Hokies also protect the ball reasonably well as they only commit TOs on 17% of their possessions (#72). VT does not get to the line a lot (not surprising given their reliance on 3s) as they are #288 on FTA/FGA ratio (WF is #11 in FGA/FTA ratio). Tech is also first in the ACC in FT% in conference games (79%). VT plays at a slow tempo (#327).

Defense: Good #38. The Hokies' strength on D is forcing TOs as opponents commit turnovers on 24% of Hokie defensive possessions. They also do not foul often (#22 in FTA/FGA). In their 4 conference games, the Tech defense has had some problems as they are dead last in the ACC in effective FG% at 56.4% in conference games. A large part of that is attributable to the UVA blow-out on Tuesday. Tech plays a lot of zone defense which explains why a significant part of opponents' offense (43% #2) against VT comes from 3 point shots.

Lineup: Due to injuries and suspensions, Tech plays with a short rotation (#301 in bench minutes). In their 2 point win at GT last week, the 5 Hokies' starters played 30+ plus minutes and 3 played 35+ minutes. VT is also not a big team (#184 in average height), but they are experienced with 3 seniors in their 7 man rotation. Tech starts: PG 6-2 Sr. Justin Robinson, SG 6-1 So. Wabissa Bebe, SF 6-5 So. Nickeil Alexander-Walker, F 6-5 Sr. Ahmed Hill and C 6-10 Jr. Kerry Blackshear. Their two primary players off the bench are 6-6 Sr. Ty Outlaw and 6-5 So. PJ Hourne. Everyone except Hourne can shoot the 3. Outlaw (48%), Hill (44%) and Alexander-Walker (44%) are particularly dangerous from behind the arc. Alexander-Walker is a future NBA lottery pick also shoots 61% from 2. In last year's VT 83-75 win over WF, also in Blacksburg, Ahmed Hill was the leading scored with 21 (Brandon Childress was WF's leading scorer with 17). VT shot 43% from 3 that day.

Bottom line: Tough one for the Deacs. VT will be angry after UVA dismantled Tech on Tuesday. Last time, Buzz had his team coming off a loss, they led 49-23 at the half. For WF to have a chance to keep the game competitive, WF will need to defend the 3 and not turn the ball over. KP projects an easy 80-62 Hokie win, and that seems about right to me. This is a sandwich spot for VT as they are coming off a rivalry game against UVA, and they play UNC on ESPN Big Monday, but after last week's loss, VT will not look past the Deacs.

Last edited:
This upcoming two game stretch is going to be quite ugly, I'm afraid.

No score predictions from me, but if we lose by less than 50 points (combined) @ VT & @ UVA, I'll be surprised.

The it's harder to beat a good team coming off a loss is a myth, like the hothand.

Ok. State was 14-2 and we beat them.
VT is 14-2. We got this. (If we play the whole game like we did the first half on Tuesday)

Ok. State was 14-2 and we beat them.
VT is 14-2. We got this. (If we play the whole game like we did the first half on Tuesday)

And your last sentence is the whole key. Wake needs to play 40 minutes of good basketball. So far Wake has gotten to about 30 in their best game.

I expect us to lose, but it will interesting to see if the win against State gives our guys a little more confidence and will to make it a game or if we'll fold like a cheap suit as normal. If we had lost to state after giving up that 22 point lead, this one would almost certainly be very ugly, but since our guys pulled it out, maybe we'll show some stones and make the Hokies sweat.

I expect us to lose, but it will interesting to see if the win against State gives our guys a little more confidence and will to make it a game or if we'll fold like a cheap suit as normal. If we had lost to state after giving up that 22 point lead, this one would almost certainly be very ugly, but since our guys pulled it out, maybe we'll show some stones and make the Hokies sweat.

Because the team plays better in the first half, maybe there is some way to convince them coming out of the locket room for the second half that it is part 2 of the first half.

Because the team plays better in the first half, maybe there is some way to convince them coming out of the locket room for the second half that it is part 2 of the first half.

Well that's part of the problem right there, they need to be coming out of the locker room, instead of the locket room. Halftime is no time to be looking at jewelry.

VT has been rather pedestrian over their last 3 games.

I would also like to see the coaches more energetic and involved like they were on Tuesday. It's about time.
Maybe they learned something too.

I would also like to see the coaches more energetic and involved like they were on Tuesday. It's about time.

When being fired is imminent, it can get one's attention.

I would like to see that continue as well. I noted one time when BChill was out on a breather somewhere past midway first half, Randolph was in his ear the whole time the camera was on them (TV timeout).

Back