• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Football players COACHING TODAY

Would love to see the list of WF football players that are also HS football coaches.

I know that in MD, the best public school program in the State, by far, is Wise (multiple State titles), and former WF DB DeLawn Parrish is their coach. Former WF LB Mike Neubeiser has also won state championships in MD at Northwest HS. IIRC, former WF OL Ben Freeman coached a big-time SC program for years (which included his son who was a three starter at Clemson). Also believe, that former WF K Doug Illing has coached HS football in NC for a long time.

Would love to see the list of WF football players that are also HS football coaches.

I know that in MD, the best public school program in the State, by far, is Wise (multiple State titles), and former WF DB DeLawn Parrish is their coach. Former WF LB Mike Neubeiser has also won state championships in MD at Northwest HS. IIRC, former WF OL Ben Freeman coached a big-time SC program for years (which included his son who was a three starter at Clemson). Also believe, that former WF K Doug Illing has coached HS football in NC for a long time.

You can start the list with Doug Illing. I believe class of 85 or 87. He's at Socastee in SC.

so they're missing Zac Taylor as probably the most impressive of the bunch as a new NFL Head Coach

also wtf is Jim Grobe doing? just retire dude: https://aaf.com/san-antonio-commanders-load-up-defensive-coaching-staff/

For me, the Jim Grobe situation raises lots of eyebrows. First, the guy made an absolute shitload of money with his post Orange Bowl contract. WTH happened? Does he really need the money? Surely not.

Which leads me to if he doesn't need the money (see above), then why in God's name is he, at 66 years old, with some fly-by-night team in San Antonio? Did his wife, Holly, REALLY want to sign up for this in her late sixties? Something is confusing about the Grobe situation. First chased down a dead-end job with Baylor and now this??

For me, the Jim Grobe situation raises lots of eyebrows. First, the guy made an absolute shitload of money with his post Orange Bowl contract. WTH happened? Does he really need the money? Surely not.

Which leads me to if he doesn't need the money (see above), then why in God's name is he, at 66 years old, with some fly-by-night team in San Antonio? Did his wife, Holly, REALLY want to sign up for this in her late sixties? Something is confusing about the Grobe situation. First chased down a dead-end job with Baylor and now this??

Grobe lives comfortably at Reynolds Plantation and probably has become bored playing golf everyday. If he wants to coach, it’s his business.

Grobe lives comfortably at Reynolds Plantation and probably has become bored playing golf everyday. If he wants to coach, it’s his business.

I never said it was my business smartass. I simply was stating it's a little odd.

As a soon-to-be-64 year old, who is semi-retired, i have empathy for Jim Grobe. Retiring cold turkey after a long, productive and rewarding career is not for everyone and frankly a bit scary. One quickly tires of playing golf or fishing every day, and the fear of being bored is very real.

Steve Spurrier is in his 70s and is coaching the Orlando team in this same league as Grobe.....

As a soon-to-be-64 year old, who is semi-retired, i have empathy for Jim Grobe. Retiring cold turkey after a long, productive and rewarding career is not for everyone and frankly a bit scary. One quickly tires of playing golf or fishing every day, and the fear of being bored is very real.

/\ This

I always felt I was born to retire, so I did as soon as I could afford to (53). I'm now convinced that men should keep working until their energy level drops too low to continue. Women have all sorts of outside interests that can keep them occupied. Unfortunately, too much of a man's persona is tied to what they do for a living.

The point was driven home to me about 5 years ago when some old fucker walked up to me and asked: "who did you used to be?" Now I am that old fucker. Of course, the stress levels I was under before I retired probably would have killed me by 60.

it’s sad and pathetic if your persona is tied to your job

Hoo boy. 71 is dealing with some shit this morning.

Nah, all too real. The retirement question is exacerbated by one's physical changes. You lose your hearing, you lose your eyesight, you lose your hair, you get fat or flabby, you lose your libido or just admit sex is too much trouble, and then at some point you die. Lots to look forward to, so better to keep working and to stay busy.;)

Last edited:
Back