• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is it time for the MODS to create Danny[redacted]?

Danny[redacted]?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Meh. He identified John Beilein prior to him becoming a household name in college hoops and Beilein was coming to Wake if Skip took the Pitt job.

It wasn't a secret that Wellman and GDO never got along well but the decision to part ways in 2001 was good timing. And to be fair, his hands were tied to an extent on the Dino firing.

But hiring Bz was inexcusable and a panic hire when others higher on the list said no. And this set the table for the Manning hire when the Top 3 to 4 on the list also said no.

I thought Beilein was coming if Skip didn't come from X.. Dixon took Pitt in 03 instead of Skip and Beilein was already at WVU....

He would have been coming from Richmond when Skip came instead for 01.

Those two are equally poor coaches except Manning doesn't also blame the players. But that could also be because he's not savvy enough to use that as an excuse

Meh. He identified John Beilein prior to him becoming a household name in college hoops and Beilein was coming to Wake if Skip took the Pitt job.

It wasn't a secret that Wellman and GDO never got along well but the decision to part ways in 2001 was good timing. And to be fair, his hands were tied to an extent on the Dino firing.

But hiring Bz was inexcusable and a panic hire when others higher on the list said no. And this set the table for the Manning hire when the Top 3 to 4 on the list also said no.
Would love to hear some details on this because I am 99% sure it is bullshit.

When the other guy finally got canned at WF, his next job was a step up in the basketball coaching world. If Manning ever gets fired, another sympathy job from Kansas will be the best he'll ever have a shot at.

I thought Beilein was coming if Skip didn't come from X.. Dixon took Pitt in 03 instead of Skip and Beilein was already at WVU....

He would have been coming from Richmond when Skip came instead for 01.

A Hall of Famer almost hired.

The alternative universe where we hired Beilein and Lombardi must be one helluva time

Danny should definitely get a [moniker] but we need more discussion on what. Maybe his acc win % after his final game? E.g. "well [10%] was finally let go today..."

Better question is what does ronnie get changed to? [Douchenozzle], [Nero], [takes ball goes home]

Danny is bad at his job. Bz was a piece of shit and the Wellman/Bz BFF on radio defense is what pushed Bz to a whole different level. I would leave Danny as is.

Would love to hear some details on this because I am 99% sure it is bullshit.

He's just another one of those posters who likes to claim to be "in the know" while simply repeating rumors he heard at 4:00PM dinner at K&W.

And it ignores the fact that hiring Dino on with a contract rather than interim title, and then extending him with a big guaranteed extension are two massive mistakes that Wellman made before the "hands are tied" firing that the culture club likes to believe in to excuse the current state of our program.

I've always agreed with this sentiment, but at the same time it's weird Dino left Wake and didn't coach again for a decade

That’s simple. He wasn’t that good of a coach.

I've always agreed with this sentiment, but at the same time it's weird Dino left Wake and didn't coach again for a decade

The first few years he was cutting checks from Wake that he earned for NOT coaching. After that he had established a nice little gig at ESPN. Add that to the fact that he was fired for "not succeeding in the postseason" to the surprise of most everyone, and then endured having his character drug through the mud publicly and privately to cover for [name redacted], all for a job that he didn't want or ask for, but took out of honor for his dead friend, and it doesn't really seem all that unusual to me that Dino was happy not coaching again until the perfect situation came along. Dude was probably emotionally spent, financially secure and happy to relax.

That perfect situation came along. Given some of the comments Dino has made over the years while covering Wake, I expect he and Mack will bring the heat when we play Louisville next week. We are going to lose big and Louisville won't be letting up except to clear their bench.

Last edited:
Given some of the comments Dino has made over the years while covering Wake, I expect he and Mack will bring the heat when we play Louisville next week. We are going to lose big and Louisville won't be letting up except to clear their bench.

interesting indeed

Danny is bad at his job. Bz was a piece of shit and the Wellman/Bz BFF on radio defense is what pushed Bz to a whole different level. I would leave Danny as is.

This is where I'm at as well

That’s simple. He wasn’t that good of a coach.

And there's that. He at least made more effort than Manning, but he's an assistant coach who isn't a great head coach. To be fair, unlike Manning, he didn't seek out the position, and he didn't sit around refusing to try to improve himself. Not every coach should be a head coach. The world needs assistants.

And there's that. He at least made more effort than Manning, but he's an assistant coach who isn't a great head coach. To be fair, unlike Manning, he didn't seek out the position, and he didn't sit around refusing to try to improve himself. Not every coach should be a head coach. The world needs assistants.

This. At least dino was present enough to understand he needed to improve. He went out to learn a new defense and implemented it. That alone gives him a leg up on danny "don't need to change anything" manning.

[insert name] should replace Danny and not the Manning. Manning is common last name for athletes. Danny not too many people go by. [insert name] Manning.

Does anyone here continue to support Danny and think he should still serve as the coach?

Back