• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hide Your Keys!

Deaconblue

Reaction score
According to the Winston-Salem Journal, Wake is about to purchase the property of Winston-Salem First Assembly of GodChurch which is adjacent to campus. This would give Wake ownership of property along University Parkway past Polo Road.

AKA "the God Dome," some have suggested this area as a possible location for an on-campus basketball arena.

"Hide your keys"

According to the Winston-Salem Journal, Wake is about to purchase the property of Winston-Salem First Assembly of GodChurch which is adjacent to campus. This would give Wake ownership of property along University Parkway past Polo Road.

AKA "the God Dome," some have suggested this area as a possible location for an on-campus basketball arena.

"Hide your keys"

Didn’t we recently purchase a basketball coliseum?

Didn’t we recently purchase a basketball coliseum?

Wake did purchase the LJVM coliseum a few years ago. An on-campus arena on the property Wake is purchasing from the First Assembly of God Church has been a long running discussion topic on multiple iterations of the message boards.

Seems like that would be an extremely small arena... Maybe there is more space than I realize.

Seems like that would be an extremely small arena... Maybe there is more space than I realize.

That piece of ground is big enough to hold the footprint of the Joel (without parking.) So yes, it is a pretty big space.

Hide your keys indeed. Let's finally fix this disaster.

Wish we had applied that money to buying out DM’s contract so that maybe we’d have a need to invest in an on-campus arena.

Wish we had applied that money to buying out DM’s contract so that maybe we’d have a need to invest in an on-campus arena.

Uhh, Wake's been coveting that piece of land for 30 years.

So what do they plan to do with it?

I would be shocked if it didn’t just house an expanding campus as enrollment continues to tick up.

Agreed. Wake seems pretty dedicated to keeping most major sports venues at the athletic campus - with football, basketball, baseball, and tennis all there.

Agreed. Wake seems pretty dedicated to keeping most major sports venues at the athletic campus - with football, basketball, baseball, and tennis all there.

Also Wake just needs space. They bought the apartments across the street. It makes sense that campus is will inevitably span across Polo Rd.

The only chance we have to have a smaller arena is to refit/renovate the Joel. I am fine with it, but it will have an immaterial impact on how good our basketball program is.

The only chance we have to have a smaller arena is to refit/renovate the Joel. I am fine with it, but it will have an immaterial impact on how good our basketball program is.

Agreed. It's time. The Football/Baseball/Tennis complex are nice and obviously could always still use more work but they look great. Would love on OCA but I think Wake would do well to renovate the Joel and get rid of everything green associated with the building....... upper level seats I'm talking to you.

Also the corner of the coliseum lot and across the street at Unversity really needs some work. Been sitting "stale" for quite some time. Would be neat for some kind of WF branded entrance to that area with retail/dining that gets used on just more than gameday. I know there's been some effort there with some restaurants but if you could energize that space (esp. for students) would really help tie in to the athletic venues. Just thinking off the top of my head.

I'm over at the baseball stadium at least once a week and to see the transformation of that space (although it still needs a little bit more) and BB&T is really magnificent. I have also been riding over to campus just to check out the sports performance center and on my way back out when I'm sitting at the light at University getting ready to turn left back down Deacon Blvd., I can't help but think the person (or Wake) with the right amount of money and ideas could really fix that whole area up and turn it into something special and really make it more of asset for Wake Forest.

Back