• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Merrifield gets 4 year $16.25 million extension!

TheReff

Rod Griffin
Reaction score
Second baseman Whit Merrifield and the Kansas City Royals have agreed to a four-year contract extension worth $16.25 million total, a source told ESPN's Jeff Passan.

Merrifield led the American League last season in both hits (192) and stolen bases (45), while batting .304 with 12 home runs and 60 RBIs.

The deal for Merrifield, who turned 30 last week, buys out his last pre-arbitration year as well as three years of arbitration.

He has a career batting average of .293 in parts of three seasons, and also led the AL in stolen bases in 2017 with 34.

Merrifield made just six errors last season at second base, his primary position, while also seeing time at first and the outfield.

Why isn't this on the baseball thread?

Why should anyone here care about a guy on the Royals who has nothing to do with Wake?

Why isn't this on the baseball thread?

Why should anyone here care about a guy on the Royals who has nothing to do with Wake?

Because his Dad is at Wake & his little brother is now at Wake, duh!

His dad got stuck behind Wally Joyner, but has done very well since in business.

Whit shows that hard work and perseverance pays off! 6 long years in the minors for the Royals, even leading their AAA Omaha Stormchasers in batting a couple of times and getting passed over in spring training for higher bonused draft choices. Yet he works on the swing, adds some weight, keeps his speed and not only leads MLB in stolen bases in 2017 & 2018, he leads MLB in hits in 2018! Quite a story for a former Wake Forest basketball ball boy.

Oh wait, did this kid play at South Carolina ? Now I understand.

I hope this story is getting a lot of radio presents.

Oh wait, did this kid play at South Carolina ? Now I understand.

I hope this story is getting a lot of radio presents.

Yes and he grew up across the street from us. Known him since 2nd grade and is just an awesome young man!! So we are quite proud of what he is doing and my wife & I go see him play somewhere every summer [2 years ago the Cardinal/Royals I-70 Series, last year in Minnesota & this year probably Toronto & Atlanta] But yes he did go to South Carolina with my son and he did get the game winning hit to win the College World Series and close out the Rosenblatt Stadium era of the CWS.

Yes and he grew up across the street from us. Known him since 2nd grade and is just an awesome young man!! So we are quite proud of what he is doing and my wife & I go see him play somewhere every summer [2 years ago the Cardinal/Royals I-70 Series, last year in Minnesota & this year probably Toronto & Atlanta] But yes he did go to South Carolina with my son and he did get the game winning hit to win the College World Series and close out the Rosenblatt Stadium era of the CWS.

Well, post about it on the South Carolina board then

Local boy with multiple WF connections who leads MLB in 2 major offensive categories, and reaps the benefits, is a great story, thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Local boy with multiple WF connections who leads American League in 2 major offensive categories, and reaps the benefits, is a great story, thanks for posting.

Kind of like when we celebrate Jeff Capel III's professional success.

Local boy with multiple WF connections who leads American League in 2 major offensive categories, and reaps the benefits, is a great story, thanks for posting.

Believe a correction is needed....think he actually lead the majors in hits and stolen bases last year...not just the AL. And agree with the others thanking the original poster for passing on the news. I have been following his career closely because of his Wake connections even though I don’t know him. I am very interested to see how his brother’s career turns out for the Diamond Deacs.

Believe a correction is needed....think he actually lead the majors in hits and stolen bases last year...not just the AL. And agree with the others thanking the original poster for passing on the news. I have been following his career closely because of his Wake connections even though I don’t know him. I am very interested to see how his brother’s career turns out for the Diamond Deacs.

Believe you are correct, edit made. Great accomplishment.

Really wish he had come to Wake back then and IIRC he was considering it. Don't know details. So Car was just a bigger opportunity and WF was a bit down in BB at that time. Glad his dad and brother are solid in the Wake camp. I'd bet he'll drop by sometime too.

Really wish he had come to Wake back then and IIRC he was considering it. Don't know details. So Car was just a bigger opportunity and WF was a bit down in BB at that time. Glad his dad and brother are solid in the Wake camp. I'd bet he'll drop by sometime too.

He does. He has been to some basketball games while at home. I really hope younger brother Hite takes off for us in the future. He is a real good athlete!

You can't even tell a nice story of people in a surprisingly friendly manner without others trying to find something NEGATIVE about it.

JESUS, sometimes just nice things happen and are shared.

That's all this was. some of you can't just something good happening good without trying find something to BITCH about. Sad

Thanks for posting , nice story about a guy with lots of wake connections. If you want to rag on the ref, go read his politics posts instead.

Back