• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SS Wake Forest Victory - NST

tsywake

Sheikh of Smoke
Staff member
Reaction score
While the basketball program is a sinking ship, I'd like to focus your attention in a different direction. It may be old news to others, but I had no idea there was a ship named after MSD. Anyways, thought I'd pass it along in case others were interested.

A VC2-S-AP2, was named the SS Wake Forest Victory. Below are a few key points of her history a couple pics and links.

• Built in 1945, launched from the Permanente/Kaiser Yard in Richmond California in 27 days. At the time, the fastest built Victory ship in the US Navy.
  • One of 272 built with that designation, and one of 40 ships named after the 40 oldest colleges/university in the US at the time.
  • Wake Forest College sent books for the ships library, and also 16 pin-ups of the prettiest co-eds as voted on by the students. Any relatives to Ruth Blount Fentress on ogboards?
  • Ruth and her husband, John Fentress established a scholarship for needy students.
  • Served in the Pacific Theater of WWII, as well as the Korean War.
  • Was de-commissioned and moored in New Orleans, where Hurricane Betsy damaged her beyond repair in 1965. She was later sent for scrap in 1972.
  • Her flag is currently kept in the bowels of the Z. Smith Reynolds Library.

WF-Victory-Ship-compressor.jpg
wf-victory-ship-slide.jpg

Wake Forest Museum Link of WF in WWII

Wake Forest Magazine article, about halfway down

Moar information on pg 7 of the Winter 2015 Wake Forest Magazine

That's great TSY. Too bad there isn't part of the scrap metal to add to your firetruck project. It would be a nice touch.

Very interesting tsy….thanks for the history lesson !

Back