• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report - Louisville Cardinals - Wednesday 8 pm ACC Network

A positive vibe to end the season may help keep some players here. At this point, the players might be so miserable and uncoached that they just want to leave.

It would also help revitalize the fan base and would signal to that fan base that the AD is not the tone deaf idiot that he appears to be.

Nester need to be the interim coach and Wake needs to try and win a few games.

Agree—it is downright painful to listen to Hoard’s and Brown’s interviews from last night. The kids sound miserable and there is nothing they can do. I would just want to get out of this environment if I was them, so any change would be welcome.

A midseason firing provides the fanbase with hope about the future. Heck, maybe even the students would bother to show up to a game if they thought change was being made to turn things around. Sadly, it won't happen though.

A midseason firing provides the fanbase with hope about the future. Heck, maybe even the students would bother to show up to a game if they thought change was being made to turn things around. Sadly, it won't happen though.

I’d trade hope for a future for an actual future. Make the right hire and literally nothing else matters.

I’d trade hope for a future for an actual future. Make the right hire and literally nothing else matters.

Well in order to do that you first need to get rid of the current failure that is coaching the team. The sooner the better to get a jump on the hiring process for the next guy.

In terms of a mid-season firing, I go back and forth. I'm not sure it really creates any kind of buzz (as Deacfreak07 mentioned about UCLA)... Nothing meaningful, anyway. It does mean that your opening is out there for everyone to see... So i guess that could get some conversations going earlier than they would otherwise. But I also don't think it'll be surprising for anyone when he gets fired in 6-8 weeks.

Yeah, I don't see any downside to firing now. Given the last 9 years, we need every advantage we can get in making the next hire. Having coaches like Oats, etc already thinking that Wake might be a place for them is a net positive. Allows us to start putting out feelers now rather than waiting until silly season when in-demand coaches will be getting calls from all angles. Put Nestor in charge. He's already retired...no one is going to get sentimental about keeping him around.

There is no downside to a mid-season firing. The players aren't developing and are just enduring to the end. The win total isn't going to be any less with Manning gone. There is no way recruiting could be going well.
Assured pluses are increased fan interest based on hope and coaches that may target Wake as their next stop. We don't want any coach who thinks Manning wasn't given a fair shot and is afraid of his own job security.
And maybe the players will have more fun and play a little better. Don't think firing Manning now would affect end-of-the-season transfers compared with firing him at the end of the year. The same guys are likely to leave any way. Brandon Childress is the only one really tied to the coaching staff.

I was in attendance last night and sat near some French individuals, one of whom was wearing a "France basketball" hoodie. I don't speak French so I had no clue what they were saying but they were stupefied by the game, that much was clear. I assume they're connected to Jaylen or Olivier somehow.

How many times did you hear 'merde' and Wake Forest in the same sentence?

Also, our guys didn't make shots. They have got to be ready on the catch. We clearly didn't work on being ready on the catch while stacking good days of practice this week.

Truth. I went with two non-Wake people last night, and they had a great time counting (loudly) the number of layups we missed ...

Not firing Manning at this point is just prioritizing this fabricated "Wake Forest Way" that Wellman was created out of thin air over the best interest of the players. It's completely selfish on Wellman's part. He would have to actually get off his ass and answer some questions and take some interviews. He would actually have to put in some effort. He would actually have to work instead of just sitting back in his office collecting his inflated paychecks.

Yeah, I don't see any downside to firing now. Given the last 9 years, we need every advantage we can get in making the next hire. Having coaches like Oats, etc already thinking that Wake might be a place for them is a net positive. Allows us to start putting out feelers now rather than waiting until silly season when in-demand coaches will be getting calls from all angles. Put Nestor in charge. He's already retired...no one is going to get sentimental about keeping him around.

Agree that there is no deal downside to firing him now. None that I can see, anyway.

I just don't know that I see a ton of upside, either.

At this point, I doubt he gets fired until after the ACC Tourney. I just can't see us ripping off the band aid right now with like 6 weeks to go.

I honestly have no idea what the final score was last night. I watched the first 10-12 minutes, switched back real quick in the 2nd half and it was 60 something to 30 something and never looked again.

Agree that there is no deal downside to firing him now. None that I can see, anyway.

I just don't know that I see a ton of upside, either.

At this point, I doubt he gets fired until after the ACC Tourney. I just can't see us ripping off the band aid right now with like 6 weeks to go.

I think there is upside and Clawson demonstrated that earlier this year. Had Clawson waited until the end of the year to fire Sawvel, we likely would not have made and won a bowl game. By firing Sawvel and starting the process of turning things around, Clawson increased energy around the program and confidence in the head coach that he'll do the right thing. Firing Manning now, as others have stated, would give us more time to identify and reach out to candidates, but it would also increase interest in the program and show that Wake is actively working to right the ship.

If he is gone, you can begin some low level approaches to your top candidates.

That is relevant.

I think there is upside and Clawson demonstrated that earlier this year. Had Clawson waited until the end of the year to fire Sawvel, we likely would not have made and won a bowl game. By firing Sawvel and starting the process of turning things around, Clawson increased energy around the program and confidence in the head coach that he'll do the right thing. Firing Manning now, as others have stated, would give us more time to identify and reach out to candidates, but it would also increase interest in the program and show that Wake is actively working to right the ship.

Yep.

If there is anybody who knows how to give the finger and a great big "fuck you" to the fans, it's Ron Wellman. For this he will always be remembered.

Just looked at the box score... Literally the ONLY thing that was a positive was 16-19 from the FT line. Everything else was just terrible.

That's not so good when Danny's offense is built around 75-80 free throw touches per game.

If he is gone, you can begin some low level approaches to your top candidates.

That is relevant.
While WF cannot overtly start going after guys until Manning is officially gone, they can start reaching out to agents and people in the industry to get a feel for the coaching climate even with Manning still employed. Teams regularly do it when they know a coaching search is imminent but they have not actually fired the existing coach yet. Also, WF is not going to be interviewing candidates right now anyways, unless they aren't currently coaching (Matta for example).

So a mid-season firing would be more for the team and fans than anything else but absolutely nothing wrong with that given both groups need some hope for the future right now.

While WF cannot overtly start going after guys until Manning is officially gone, they can start reaching out to agents and people in the industry to get a feel for the coaching climate even with Manning still employed. Teams regularly do it when they know a coaching search is imminent but they have not actually fired the existing coach yet. Also, WF is not going to be interviewing candidates right now anyways, unless they aren't currently coaching (Matta for example).

So a mid-season firing would be more for the team and fans than anything else but absolutely nothing wrong with that given both groups need some hope for the future right now.

I think there is a difference in the minds of prospective coaches. When you get a feeler for a job that is not open and you are busy with your own team, I think you just file it away under "interesting".

If you get a feeler from a school with a vacancy, you can be pretty sure they are serious. I think you begin to weigh the benefits for real.
Being the first school to make that approach can be the difference.

Back