• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report - Louisville Cardinals - Wednesday 8 pm ACC Network

Pilchard

Reaction score
Former WF assistant Chris Mack leads the L'ville Cards into the caldron that is the Joel Coliseum tomorrow night. Here is the skinny on WF's opponent:

Record: L'ville is 15-5 (6-1) and has risen up the KP ratings (started at #63) to a season best #14. L'ville has a bevy of top 100 wins: #73 Vermont, #3 Michigan State, #66 Seton Hall, #47 Lipscomb, #8 UNC, #74 GT, #32 NC State and #64 Pitt. They have lost to #6 Tennessee, #34 Marquette (in OT), #44 Indiana, #10 Kentucky and #64 Pitt (Pitt and L'ville have already played twice). L'ville is 3-2 on the road. They have a big game at home against UNC on Saturday; so, this is a look-ahead spot for the Cards.

Offense: Strong. #14 in the nation (#3 in the conference in ACC games). They do everything fairly well: the Cards get to the line a lot #11 in FTA/FGA, they make FTs (76% #21), and in ACC games, they have been particularly strong inside (shooting 55% from 2). They are a balanced scoring team as they score from 3 (36% in ACC games) as well as scoring from the line and from inside the paint. Interestingly, the Cards have increased tempo in conference games as they are #244 in tempo overall (67 possessions a game), but are #4 in the ACC in tempo in conference games (71 possessions a game).

Defense: Mack has ramped up L'ville's D in conference games. The Cards play mostly man and are the #2 team in the ACC in defense in conference games trailing only UVA. Their defense forces TOs (TO forces on 21.3% of opponents possessions in conference games), and they also keep opponents off the offensive glass (#3 in the ACC). L'ville also plays solid defense inside (47% on opponents 2 point shots #44).

Lineup: Recently, L'ville has played with an 8/9 man rotation. Bench players Darius Perry and Akoy Agau (G'town transfer that actually started at L'ville in 2014) missed Saturday's win over Pitt. The starters are: PG 6-2 Sr. Christen Cunningham (Samford transfer), SG 6-0 Khwan Fore (Richmond transfer - scored 8 points at WF last year for the Spiders), SF 6-5 Jr. Dwayne Sutton (UNC Ashville transfer), PF 6-7 Jordan Nwora (a non-transfer starter - shocker), C 6-10 Jr. Steven Enoch (UCONN)/6-11 So Malik Williams. Williams and Enoch split time in the post. Senior guard Ryan McMahon also plays significant minutes off the bench. Everyone can hit the 3. Nwora is their best player, and will be an all-ACC selection. He scored 32 in the win over BC, and has scored 20 or more 9 times this year. He had 5 threes in the blowout win at Chapel Hill.

Bottom line: L'ville has all of the elements needed for a solid team: size, depth, tough on d and are well-coached. KP projects a 77-66 Cardinals win and gives WF only a 15% chance to pull the upset. The Nwora/Hoard matchup should be a good one to watch, both may be in the NBA next year. I expect WF to hang in for awhile, mostly because L'ville has little reason to be focused on this game with a big game against UNC on deck, but have every reason to expect that WF will find a way to lose.

Last edited:
Seems Mack doesn't have any hard feelings towards Wellman. Or he's just a good politician. Would have loved a quote or two from Dino. :)

https://247sports.com/college/wake-...former-home-to-face-Demon-Deacons--128442932/

Putters Patio and Grill is a must-stop every trip, Mack said, but it’s the connections with the people in Winston-Salem that matters the most.
“Ron Wellman and his wife Linda,” Mack immediately mentioned as those he looked forward to greeting Wednesday. “There are various people in the athletic department, then some personal friends I’ve made along the way.”

Bottom line: L'ville has all of the elements needed for a solid team: size, depth, tough on d and are well-coached. KP projects a 77-66 Cardinals win and gives WF only a 15% chance to pull the upset. The Nwora/Hoard matchup should be a good one to watch, both may be in the NBA next year. I expect WF to hang in for awhile, mostly because L'ville has little reason to be focused on this game with a big game against UNC on deck, but have every reason to expect that WF will find a way to lose.

Given that it's the Skip Prosser classic and that there is some bad blood, at least between Dino and some at Wake, I would expect that Louisville comes out focused. The Skip Prosser classic means more to Louisville than it does to the current coaches/players at Wake at this point. They play a good m2m and force a lot of turnovers...we commit a lot no matter who we play. I actually expect a game similar to UVA that gets out of hand early.

This is the one game I will be openly rooting against the Deacs all season. I hope Dino and Mack run the score up.

What if we had Mack and Dino as our coaches now?

Then I would be looking forward to Wake beating down an otherwise trashy university and fanbase. We would also be a good basketball team, so I'd imagine I would be looking forward to the game.

This game will not be close.

The wrath of Dino will be upon us.

I’ll buy someone 2 tickets to sit behind Wellman (section 117) and chant this for 40 minutes.

“We miss Dino, Fuck Ron Wellman, We miss Dino, Fuck Ron Wellman, We miss Dino, Fuck Ron Wellman”

And it will only cost me $6 to buy the tickets on Groupon.

Re: the NC Stage tag. Looking forward to reminding State fans that they were our only conference win this year.

Can't imagine the revenge factor will translate to the players. IMP, if we get blown out, it will just be because we suck.

Can't imagine the revenge factor will translate to the players. IMP, if we get blown out, it will just be because we suck.

Nah. Who knows what Dino told them. Maybe he told them that Wellman was sleeping with students and when Dino confronted him, Wellman fired him.

Or maybe he told them that Wellman wanted him to recruit thugs who didn’t care about academics and instill a bad culture and when Dino refused, Wellman fired him.

Who knows?

Still think it would be a nice gesture to do a video tribute to their time at Wake under Prosser.

Back