• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report - Louisville Cardinals - Wednesday 8 pm ACC Network

If you get a feeler from a school with a vacancy, you can be pretty sure they are serious. I think you begin to weigh the benefits for real.
Being the first school to make that approach can be the difference.

This. I have had two calls this week from folks wanting me to interview for openings in their orgs (insert #humblebrag joke). One from a guy who has it cleared through HR and is just waiting for the position to post publicly this week so we can schedule an interview. The other from a lady who is working on funding approval from her boss' boss, but thinks she'll have a job to post in 3 weeks. I can tell you which one I've already thought seriously about.

Last edited:
This. I have had two calls this week from folks wanting me to interview for openings in their orgs (insert #humblebrag joke). One from a guy who has it cleared through HR and is just waiting for the position to post publicly this week so we can schedule an interview. The other from a lady who is working on funding approval from her boss' boss, but thinks she'll have a job to post in 3 weeks. I can tell you which one I've already thought seriously about.

The one offering the most money?

So, during the call with Wellman, did you get the low-down on why Dino was fired or are you going to wait for the interview for that?

I think there is a difference in the minds of prospective coaches. When you get a feeler for a job that is not open and you are busy with your own team, I think you just file it away under "interesting".

If you get a feeler from a school with a vacancy, you can be pretty sure they are serious. I think you begin to weigh the benefits for real.
Being the first school to make that approach can be the difference.

This. If a married woman flirts with you, it’s interesting. If a single woman flirts with you, it could be serious.

I honestly don't know what's best at this point.

A mid-season dismissal is very risky in hoops. What Clawson did in dismissing a football assistant is entirely different. I suspect 2-3 kids are leaving regardless if a change happens now or at year end. The only way we might convince 1 or 2 to stay is if we quickly hire - somehow - a NAME guy with a legitimate head coaching resume' PLUS the personality of a Prosser or Clawson. IMO, this is critical to reignite the student body, the boosters and what's left of the fan base.

And the above is going to be expensive. We can't again go the cheap route and hire another obscure guy like Buzz or Manning....no more guys from Colorado or Tulsa. I suspect it'll have to be a $3.3 - 3.6 million for 5 years with some incintives deal to attract the right guy. Now, the very real problem is whether Hatch/BOT/Wellman will commit to that.

This. If a married woman flirts with you, it’s interesting. If a single woman flirts with you, it could be serious.

But if you are married (Oats), it shouldn't matter either way.

Or am I taking the analogy too far?

Like I said, I don't see a downside from firing him now... I just don't think firing him now or firing him later really changes the available pool of candidates (until other openings get filled, of course).

Oats is going to be single soon.

Oats is going to be single soon.

Yeah, but we'll be single first... No matter whether Manning gets fired now or after our season ends.

Of course, none of this will matter if Oats ends up shacking up with the prom queen instead of the mousy brunette with glasses and an (albeit cute) overbite.

Yeah, but we'll be single first... No matter whether Manning gets fired now or after our season ends.

Of course, none of this will matter if Oats ends up shacking up with the prom queen instead of the mousy brunette with glasses and an (albeit cute) overbite.

PhDeac batsignal amirite?!?

The prob about being single is that we'll bang the babysitter (childress) and if the babysitter fucks decent we'll be tempted to wife up the babysitter when we should be looking for a proper Dame to marry

So in this allegory I guess Ron Wellman is Donald Trump with a wife (Danny Manning) and baby (Randolph childresss), but who is Stormy Daniels ?

I honestly don't know what's best at this point.

A mid-season dismissal is very risky in hoops. What Clawson did in dismissing a football assistant is entirely different. I suspect 2-3 kids are leaving regardless if a change happens now or at year end. The only way we might convince 1 or 2 to stay is if we quickly hire - somehow - a NAME guy with a legitimate head coaching resume' PLUS the personality of a Prosser or Clawson. IMO, this is critical to reignite the student body, the boosters and what's left of the fan base.

And the above is going to be expensive. We can't again go the cheap route and hire another obscure guy like Buzz or Manning....no more guys from Colorado or Tulsa. I suspect it'll have to be a $3.3 - 3.6 million for 5 years with some incintives deal to attract the right guy. Now, the very real problem is whether Hatch/BOT/Wellman will commit to that.

It is funny to even read the idea of Wake paying 3.5 million a year to a basketball coach. Would that make Wake one of the top 5 paying jobs in NCAA hoops? I don't think it will require the Brinks truck to hire the right guy. It really is more about them approaching the right guy with the right pitch. If Oats is the home run hire, then go after him with the proper pitch, offer, etc. It won't take someone coaching the MAC to have a top 5 salary to come to Wake.
You also bring up players leaving. At this point really no fan should give a shit as none of them are an important piece to get the program out of the dumpster. I'd like to believe they are all sick of getting their asses kicked and it should take one simple meeting with someone with passion like Oats to get them pumped up about change.

I would rather over pay the right coach 3.5m than pay buy outs. 3 in 9 years is ridiculous.

#WellmanOut

Glad somebody picked up on that.

Of course, we may just be the ugly girl wearing a ton of makeup and a baggy sweatshirt to hide our many imperfections.

Nah dude. The opposite.

Last edited:
Back