• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New NC State Athletic Director

Gene Corrigan's son.

So their last two hires have been the sister of their famed women's basketball coach and the son of the former ACC commissioner.

Just as a point of information, from what I can find Debbie Yow announced her retirement as early as last April. So the search took at least 9 months. Keep that in mind when talking about Wellman's replacement hiring a new basketball coach.

Gene Corrigan's son.

So their last two hires have been the sister of their famed women's basketball coach and the son of the former ACC commissioner.

Just as a point of information, from what I can find Debbie Yow announced her retirement as early as last April. So the search took at least 9 months. Keep that in mind when talking about Wellman's replacement hiring a new basketball coach.

Good point. Think that WF has some strong candidates with ready-made WF connections (Mike Buddie and Andrew Currie), but filling the AD spot will require a lot of due diligence.

Good point. Think that WF has some strong candidates with ready-made WF connections (Mike Buddie and Andrew Currie), but filling the AD spot will require a lot of due diligence.

It doesn't have to take nearly that long. Bubba was hired at UNC after a 7 week search; same with Kevin White at Duke. If a replacement is already identified, the transition can happen quickly.

Buddie and Currie gotta be top of the list. Buddie has to be odds on favorite to replace Ron.

It doesn't have to take nearly that long. Bubba was hired at UNC after a 7 week search; same with Kevin White at Duke. If a replacement is already identified, the transition can happen quickly.

And that would be an indication nothing significant is going to change.

From what I can find, Baddour resigned on July 28, 2011 and Bubba was hired on October 14, 2011. So that's 2.5 months and UNC didn't have an AD during that period so there was urgency.

Last edited:
Buddie and Currie gotta be top of the list. Buddie has to be odds on favorite to replace Ron.

I would think so, and I think he'd be excellent. Dude has charisma, the donors love him, past professional baseball player, young-ish and he's pretty damn good looking if I do say so myself...Perfect fit for wake IMO.

If Wellman hadn't bungled the last 3 basketball hires, this wouldn't even be an issue. The point is that we can't assume the best, and those calling for Wellman to retire before we hire another coach usually fail to consider the timeline. Even a 7 week search guarantees another year of Manning at minimum.

Do you mean John Currie? Or is there actually an Andrew Currie? I love John and have known him since Wake but I wasn't sure if his debacle at Tennessee would ruin his candidacy.

Do you mean John Currie? Or is there actually an Andrew Currie? I love John and have known him since Wake but I wasn't sure if his debacle at Tennessee would ruin his candidacy.

That seemed more like a Tennessee/Fulmer problem than a Currie problem. Who hired Barnes at UT?

Yes, John Currie.

Anyone holding the Tennessee coaching debacle against Currie is an idiot. Currie was the athletic director of the year in 2013 while K State, and was considered a rising star when TN hired him in 2017.

He was scapegoated for the football head coaching debacle later that year when the blame rested on a totally delusional fanbase, the Haslem family, Phil Fulmer and wrongfully attempting to link Greg Schiano to Jerry Sandusky's pedophilia. Currie would be a great hire.

Dave Hart, the TN AD before Currie, hired Barnes in 2015.

Last edited:
If Wellman hadn't bungled the last 3 basketball hires, this wouldn't even be an issue. The point is that we can't assume the best, and those calling for Wellman to retire before we hire another coach usually fail to consider the timeline. Even a 7 week search guarantees another year of Manning at minimum.

I agree.

The real question is what would/could be worse...one more year of Manning or Wellman making our next B-Ball hire in 3-4 months? I honestly don't know. Wellman could get lucky. He's directed the majority of the other programs in the right direction. Or we could strike out again and set ourselves back at least another few years...

ETA: I would love Buddie as our next AD.

Last edited:
Back