• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New NC State Athletic Director

The real question is what would/could be worse...one more year of Manning or Wellman making our next B-Ball hire in 3-4 months? I honestly don't know. Wellman could get lucky. He's directed the majority of the other programs in the right direction. Or we could strike out again and set ourselves back at least another few years...

ETA: I would love Buddie as our next AD.

Here's the problem, I don't think it's very likely that Wellman retires at the end of this year, so the more likely scenarios are:
1) Wellman being AD while we hire a new coach this year.
2) 1 more year of Manning and then Wellman still AD when we hire another coach.
3) 2 more years of Manning and then Wellman still AD when we hire another coach.
4) 3 more years of Manning and then Wellman still AD when we hire another coach.

Way down the list of possibilities is Wellman retiring at the end of this year, a new AD being hired and in place, with enough comfort to fire Manning and hire a replacement next April. So we likely end up with 2 more years of Manning in that scenario as well. Just keep pushing the years of Manning out into the future the longer it takes Wellman to retire. If Wellman doesn't retire for 3 years, that's 4 more seasons of Manning minimum.

Given all of that, the best case scenario is that we make the move now and hope that those financing this deal cut Wellman out of the process for the most part. I don't see many scenarios where we don't end up stuck with Manning for at least 2 more years if we wait for Wellman to retire before making a change.

It is a great hire. I would expect their football program to continue to improve. And he gets to follow Yow.

Not good news for Wake.

Two grown ass men named Boo and Bubba. Say what you want about Ronnie, at least he has a man's name.

If Wellman hadn't bungled the last 3 basketball hires, this wouldn't even be an issue. The point is that we can't assume the best, and those calling for Wellman to retire before we hire another coach usually fail to consider the timeline. Even a 7 week search guarantees another year of Manning at minimum.

No. They can just do basic math. One more year of shit is < 3+ years of shit.

No. They can just do basic math. One more year of shit is < 3+ years of shit.
Except there's zero evidence that Wellman is leaving after this year. Said math starts from a flawed assumption.

Here's the problem, I don't think it's very likely that Wellman retires at the end of this year, so the more likely scenarios are:
1) Wellman being AD while we hire a new coach this year.
2) 1 more year of Manning and then Wellman still AD when we hire another coach.
3) 2 more years of Manning and then Wellman still AD when we hire another coach.
4) 3 more years of Manning and then Wellman still AD when we hire another coach.

Way down the list of possibilities is Wellman retiring at the end of this year, a new AD being hired and in place, with enough comfort to fire Manning and hire a replacement next April. So we likely end up with 2 more years of Manning in that scenario as well. Just keep pushing the years of Manning out into the future the longer it takes Wellman to retire. If Wellman doesn't retire for 3 years, that's 4 more seasons of Manning minimum.

Given all of that, the best case scenario is that we make the move now and hope that those financing this deal cut Wellman out of the process for the most part. I don't see many scenarios where we don't end up stuck with Manning for at least 2 more years if we wait for Wellman to retire before making a change.

Still basic math. 4 years of shit < 6+ years of shit.

I also love that the board’s purely hypothetical power to make a change only extends up to the level of coach. LOWF indeed.

It is a great hire. I would expect their football program to continue to improve. And he gets to follow Yow.

Not good news for Wake.

Is their new AD also a football coach? I don’t see how that translates into trouble for us. Maybe if he fires Doeren and goes after urban Meyer.

CLAW > Doeren - ALL DAY EVERYDAY

See above.

And I hate to break it to you but I’m not sure there’s much evidence that Manning is leaving after this year either.

I’m not sure what evidence you’d expect there to be regarding an upcoming firing.

With the AD, there might be rumors about the "r" word - retirement. Wellman won't be fired at this time on his career.

Right. He will announce his retirement at some point likely in May of the next year.

Right. He will announce his retirement at some point likely in May of the next year.

As I have said elsewhere, I expect Wellman to be AD about a year into the tenure of the next Wake President. And that could mean Ron Wellman is Wake AD until 2023.

Hatch will stay to wrap up the last $100 million of the Wake Will Lead campaign, then take a pre-retirement victory lap and retire. Once a new Wake Pres is in place, Wellman will retire. No new Wake AD until about 2025.

Bottom line: Ron Wellman will be hiring the next Wake Men's Basketball coach.

As I have said elsewhere, I expect Wellman to be AD about a year into the tenure of the next Wake President. And that could mean Ron Wellman is Wake AD until 2023.

Hatch will stay to wrap up the last $100 million of the Wake Will Lead campaign, then take a pre-retirement victory lap and retire. Once a new Wake Pres is in place, Wellman will retire. No new Wake AD until about 2025.

Bottom line: Ron Wellman will be hiring the next Wake Men's Basketball coach.

I agree with this.

That horizon for Hatch keeps moving farther out into the future.

If only donaldross would use his money and influence to force change at Wake Forest . . .

John Currie's debacle at Tennessee was not on him at all. Put that on all the old Fulmer people who controlled all the money. They really should have just gone ahead and hired Fulmer from the start and then they would have had their football guy in control of the athletic department. John Currie or Mike Buddie would make great AD's for Wake Forest.

Back