• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Louisville Post Game Presser. Glorious Danny, Truly Glorious

I'll give Danny some credit - at least he does his own pressers. His predecessor couldn't even do that. I didn't bother watching any of the game. Watched VT beat Miami then turned to something else. Go Hokies.

In the poll on another thread, I voted to fire him at the end of the season. If you fire him now, and we win a few games, I don't want us to be tempted to stick with an interim HC. But like some others here, I still don't take for granted that he will be fired at the end of the season. Add to that I have no faith that Wellman will make a good hire. I figure Marshall is too much of a long shot. But I'd be fine with Oats or Grant. In the meantime, I'll stick to watching UVA and VT hoops so I can still enjoy a sport that I used to love a whole lot more than I do now.

I was playing video games with my kids and had the game on a tablet beside me. I think I glanced over a half dozen times or so. My wife is going to hate it if we ever get good again. Every weekend in the Spring has opened up in the last few years.

I put my youngest to bed, turned on the game as it started, saw like 6 offensive rebounds in the first few possessions, he called out for some water, I got his water and never turned the game back on. I’d seen enough.

I’ve probably watched less than 2 hours this season. Just looking for excuses to watch something else.

How long are other school post game conferences? I get the feeling that ours are just 7 minutes of hell. Our reporters have quit along with Manning.

Mack's presser last night was about 20 seconds shorter than Manning's. I'm sure with some good ole internet research, you could pull up pressers from K, Roy, Bennett, Izzo, Cal, etc.

I put my youngest to bed, turned on the game as it started, saw like 6 offensive rebounds in the first few possessions, he called out for some water, I got his water and never turned the game back on. I’d seen enough.

I’ve probably watched less than 2 hours this season. Just looking for excuses to watch something else.

I've been watching less and less. Missed last night (on purpose). Will probably watch the next 2 (@ Clemson, PITT) because they shouldn't be blowouts. I find it easier to watch the weekend games, even if I have to DVR and watch later on. The weeknight games just get recorded and deleted when I see that we got blown out.

This is a really good post.
It is the head coaches responsibility to either keep competent players or replace them with competent players. Instead, Manning uses excuses.

The coaches at Va. Tech and N.C. State have not settled for excuses, instead they went to work and overcame their transfer problems, etc. and produced winners.

At Tech, Buzz has had more than his share of transfers. In fact, he had one big man who transferred, came back, and transferred again. Also, he suspended his best player, Clark, prior to this season. Despite these problems he has had his team in the Top Ten in the polls. I believe he was hired at the same time as Manning.

At State, their coach , in only 2 years, has a team ranked. This year he had ONLY 3 scholarship players returning but he COACHED and found a way to win. That is what is required at this level of basketball and Danny does not have what it takes! Results count.

Coaches have to recruit pieces that will fill-in their own peculiar puzzle. We have the best group of athletes that Wake has had in some time. However, we puzzle pieces that are obviously missing. Brandon is a decent ball handler and shooter, but he is not a facilitator and thus is not a good point guard. Wright is a good athlete and excels at driving the ball to the basket; but his outside shot is poor. Yet Brandon is playing point and Wright is playing at the 2 and neither really fits. Perhaps he just doesn't understand the offense well enough; but I think that Wright has the better skill set for the PG and Brandon for the 2G. There are other pieces missing too (obviously). Sarr is better facing the basket than playing low post. Maybe we should play Smart at low post and Sarr at PF and have them on the court at the same time along with Hoard. Point: we have better players but not necessarily the players we need. Either that or we are not putting the players we have in the best position to succeed given their particular skill set. Whatever, these are problems that coaches are paid to fix.

giphy.gif

I posted during the Bz years but I think a group of people, visible to the TV camera, should print and wear t-shirts with this image. For those young people on the board it is a Felix The Cat character named Rock Bottom.
latest

I've been watching less and less. Missed last night (on purpose). Will probably watch the next 2 (@ Clemson, PITT) because they shouldn't be blowouts. I find it easier to watch the weekend games, even if I have to DVR and watch later on. The weeknight games just get recorded and deleted when I see that we got blown out.

Clemson was leading Pitt 49-20 the other day. To think this very young Deacon team can go on the road and compete is silly. At this point, beating Pitt is the only chance Manning has at ever winning another basketball game. It will take him quite some time to ever find another head coaching gig and going back down that coaching ladder may be unappealing enough for the Pitt game to be his last chance for a final career victory.

Clemson was leading Pitt 49-20 the other day. To think this very young Deacon team can go on the road and compete is silly. At this point, beating Pitt is the only chance Manning has at ever winning another basketball game. It will take him quite some time to ever find another head coaching gig and going back down that coaching ladder may be unappealing enough for the Pitt game to be his last chance for a final career victory.

Pitt lost to Clemson by 13... Never really in doubt, but not a 30 point drubbing like our game last night.
I am not expecting us to win, I was just saying that I'll probably watch it and I don't expect us to lose by 20+.

I don't understand why a reporter, upon hearing Manning use the "young" excuse for the umpteenth time, doesn't just ask him "well are you playing your best players"?

If you are playing your best players, then you have no excuse.

If "young" in and of itself was the issue, then play your upperclassmen you have on the roster instead. Stupid, stupid excuse. He needs to be called out on it.

I don't understand why a reporter, upon hearing Manning use the "young" excuse for the umpteenth time, doesn't just ask him "well are you playing your best players"?

If "young" in and of itself was the issue, then play your upperclassmen you have on the roster instead. Stupid, stupid excuse. He needs to be called out on it.

He doesn't have any upperclassmen on his roster.

I do expect to lose to Clemson by 20+. They basically beat State in Raleigh, and they have a big man that will eat us up just like he did against State. I still get irritated when i see Shelton Mitchell on the court for like his 8th year, but I predict he will have a big game as well.

Manning made a half-ass excuse about players transferring being normal, now he thinks he has a get out of jail free card. Everyone else is thinking: hey dumbass, you have been here for 5 years - the composition of your roster is one of your primary responsibilities'. Pride cometh, before the fall.

Back