• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Today is the day

Wellman has been very successful during his tenure other than men’s and women’s basketball. I believe his legacy is very important to him, and he will want to Right the ship in men’s b-ball before retiring. Very similar to what Yow did at NC State, with Keatts . I would speculate that he would hire a coach that he believes can be successful in the first year or two— not sure who that targets but I would bet against a young up and comer who might be the best choice for the long term.

Wellman has been very successful during his tenure other than men’s and women’s basketball. I believe his legacy is very important to him, and he will want to Right the ship in men’s b-ball before retiring. Very similar to what Yow did at NC State, with Keatts . I would speculate that he would hire a coach that he believes can be successful in the first year or two— not sure who that targets but I would bet against a young up and comer who might be the best choice for the long term.

Why do you think Wellman will get it right after botching the last 3 hires? If we get it right, it will be because Wellman is cut out of the process. His one decent decision in men's basketball, Skip, was supposedly a suggestion from Swofford.

The difference between Bz and Manning is that Bz was not a mean guy but historically bad at communicating and motivating anyone, plus most of his players liked him or at least tolerated him . Manning not only is bad at communication, he just refuses to do it, with the media, the public, at his press conferences, and evidently with his players as well. To put it bluntly, Manning doesn't care what anyone thinks about anything except for those in his close private circle. I do believe also that Bz did care about his team and Manning appears not to care about much of anything outside of his family and closest friends.We have a lot of pictures here showing Bz morose or looking totally defeated because he cared, anybody seen that from Manning? He is a Ron Wellman clone emotionally and that is why he did "so well" in his job interview with the "chairman"

I think time is making people forget just how big of a dick buzz was.

The dino hire wasn't botched. He is one of the winningest coaches in school history percentage-wise.

The dino hire wasn't botched. He is one of the winningest coaches in school history percentage-wise.

Agree the hiring wasn't botched.

The subsequent extension and FIRING were.

Wellman has to go through the song and dance of his end of season meeting and make a decision after that. It would break from a lot of the Wake Forest way for Wellman to fire him during the ACCT. I’m guessing the Tuesday after the tournament, a week after our last game if at all.

3/12/19
#neverforget

Because Wellman has given us no indication that his retirement is imminent. Because time matters, meaning that nine years of irrelevance is better than twelve. Because Wellman has demonstrated he's at least capable of hiring a good basketball coach (Skip), albeit a long time ago. And because Manning is so bad that, through nothing more than regression to the mean, Wellman is likely to make a better hire this time around than the last two.

To expand on this, a lot of us, including myself, have completely stopped following Wake basketball. The Georgia Southern game last year did it for me. That was my breaking point. I've watched about 15 total game minutes this year on TV. So there are many of us in this boat that have quit following the program until Manning is gone and we bring in somebody new. But if Wellman 1) doesn't fire Manning and 2) bring in a competent coach that gets us back to being a program worth following the school is going to lose a lot of us forever. And that covers a lot more than basketball.

Agree the hiring wasn't botched.

The subsequent extension and FIRING were.

Exactly!

Because Wellman has given us no indication that his retirement is imminent. Because time matters, meaning that nine years of irrelevance is better than twelve. Because Wellman has demonstrated he's at least capable of hiring a good basketball coach (Skip), albeit a long time ago. And because Manning is so bad that, through nothing more than regression to the mean, Wellman is likely to make a better hire this time around than the last two.

Wellman's burned his bridges with the coaching community due to the whole Dino fiasco (See above). I don't believe he CAN make a good hire any more in college hoops. The good coaches simply will go elsewhere. So getting stuck with another 4-5 year contract for another crap coach is worse than riding out couple with Manning and praying Wellman retires soon.

Hell he 'swung for the fences' and landed Manning. Obviously a lot of phones were not picked up when Wellman swung big. That was my last straw...

I trust Wellman to get the best coach he can from Ohio. That’s about it.

Exactly!

Wellman's burned his bridges with the coaching community due to the whole Dino fiasco (See above). I don't believe he CAN make a good hire any more in college hoops. The good coaches simply will go elsewhere. So getting stuck with another 4-5 year contract for another crap coach is worse than riding out couple with Manning and praying Wellman retires soon.

Hell he 'swung for the fences' and landed Manning. Obviously a lot of phones were not picked up when Wellman swung big. That was my last straw...

There is not much left of this fan base. Retaining Manning another year will finish it off.

If he coaches next year I will be perma-gone after 38 years.

You have to try and fix this shit this year. If not, just shut down the program.

On the plus side, once you have already picked the worst two coaches in America, you can't help but do better.

We should just be super innovative and let the players coach. Obviously, you still have some assistant coaches/S&C guys to manage schedules, practices, etc, but the team-elected captains will determine rotations, draw up plays, be responsible for morale/motivation, etc. Create a coaching major. Get all the recruits.

There is not much left of this fan base. Retaining Manning another year will finish it off.

If he coaches next year I will be perma-gone after 38 years.

You have to try and fix this shit this year. If not, just shut down the program.

On the plus side, once you have already picked the worst two coaches in America, you can't help but do better.

I don't buy that for a minute. You might go away for 5 years but if Wellman moves on and Wake gets a good coach in 5, 10, 15 years, you'd come back. A lot of us wood. When your blood bleeds black and gold, your not going to ignore a successful WFU bball program.

Maybe if everyone checks out, they'll finally learn something is wrong with their process...

I think those of us who are still here after 9 years will come back but not the 90s Deacs who got used to winning and don’t follow hoops anymore or the 10s Deacs who never won in the first place.

start winning and the bandwagon will magically start filling.

the longer we suck at basketball, the fewer prospective students who love basketball will come to WF

I'm not saying its the only reason someone chooses a school, but surely it plays a role

I don't buy that for a minute. You might go away for 5 years but if Wellman moves on and Wake gets a good coach in 5, 10, 15 years, you'd come back. A lot of us wood. When your blood bleeds black and gold, your not going to ignore a successful WFU bball program.

Maybe if everyone checks out, they'll finally learn something is wrong with their process...

I don't know. Passion can be killed. There is no real logic to caring about a sports team. It is just something you grow up caring about. My feelings have changed a lot over the past 9 years.

My dad (who is getting up there in years) used to live and die with the games. He rarely even knows when the games are played these days.

If I leave, I will be surprised if it ever becomes more than a passing interest again.

I don't think those in charge realize what Tacy, and Odom, and Prosser built and how that kind of success is a fragile thing for such a small alumni and fan base.

When it feels like the sport has been killed either intentionally or by neglect, it is natural to stop caring. The Staak years felt different. It felt like a swing and a miss. These past 9 years feel like intention destruction.

the longer we suck at basketball, the fewer prospective students who love basketball will come to WF

I'm not saying its the only reason someone chooses a school, but surely it plays a role

Given next year’s tuition cost plus room and board, I don’t see most basketball lovers choosing to go to Wake for undergrad regardless of what the team does next year or next decade even if they went to a final four. (And we know that sniffing even the sweet 16 ain’t going to happen with the current coach.)

Back