• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Today is the day

the longer we suck at basketball, the fewer prospective students who love basketball will come to WF

I'm not saying its the only reason someone chooses a school, but surely it plays a role

Absolutely on point. This hurts our institution in many, many ways. If we were Davidson, not so much. But we chose to be in the ACC on Tobacco Road. The fact that our alums tolerate this is a reflection of their own failures in the business world from being conformists.

There is not much left of this fan base. Retaining Manning another year will finish it off.

If he coaches next year I will be perma-gone after 38 years.

You have to try and fix this shit this year. If not, just shut down the program.

On the plus side, once you have already picked the worst two coaches in America, you can't help but do better.
I don’t believe you quit, we are all to self loathing and addicted to sadness now to back out.

Absolutely on point. This hurts our institution in many, many ways. If we were Davidson, not so much. But we chose to be in the ACC on Tobacco Road. The fact that our alums tolerate this is a reflection of their own failures in the business world from being conformists.

You dumbasses are failing in the business world because of your similarities to our big donors who are way more successful than dr in the business world.

I trust Wellman to get the best coach he can from Ohio. That’s about it.

Ha. I thought the same thing a few weeks ago. Is Matta technically still from Ohio? I think he is in Indianapolis ... BTW, I have been to Indianapolis and I think we could offer Matta a free Escalade and comped meals and he's take the job as long as he didn't have to stay in Indianapolis any longer.

the longer we suck at basketball, the fewer prospective students who love basketball will come to WF

I'm not saying its the only reason someone chooses a school, but surely it plays a role

Truth.

I’ve got a 16 year old who has scratched Wake off of his college list- and Wake has been at the top for years. He wants a full college experience and that includes a winning/competitive basketball team (and a hype football student section- but that’s a different story)

This is a kid who has cheered for Wake exclusively his entire life, but has completely quit on Wake basketball this year. He only knows a losing program-he doesn’t remember any Wake basketball success. He requested we not renew season basketball tickets because he wasn’t interested in going, so we didn’t.

The ramifications of Wellman’s hiring mistakes stretch farther than the basketball court because I don’t think he’s the only kid to look at an empty arena and a decimated hoops program and decide he wants more out of his four college years.

Truth.

I’ve got a 16 year old who has scratched Wake off of his college list- and Wake has been at the top for years. He wants a full college experience and that includes a winning/competitive basketball team (and a hype football student section- but that’s a different story)

This is a kid who has cheered for Wake exclusively his entire life, but has completely quit on Wake basketball this year. He only knows a losing program-he doesn’t remember any Wake basketball success. He requested we not renew season basketball tickets because he wasn’t interested in going, so we didn’t.

The ramifications of Wellman’s hiring mistakes stretch farther than the basketball court because I don’t think he’s the only kid to look at an empty arena and a decimated hoops program and decide he wants more out of his four college years.

I mean, bummer and all...But that’s a big pay raise for you. Hopefully he goes to a state school with normal tuition and you can roll around in the couple hundred thousand that you saved.

So really, Ron Wellman has done you a solid.

But what would be super shitty is if your kid ended up wanting to go to HPU...So you don’t save money AND he’s not following his dream of going to wake to watch a historically competitive hoops squad.

So really, Ron Wellman has done you a solid.

But what would be super shitty is if your kid ended up wanting to go to HPU...So you don’t save money AND he’s not following his dream of going to wake to watch a historically competitive hoops squad.

I mean, I guess. What we’ve found is that is Wake Forest wants you and you’re not willing to go into massive debt for a liberal arts education, they’ll help you find a way.

Unfortunately/fortunately he’s not interested in any schools in state- and HPU isn’t even a consideration. My guess is he’ll wind up at Clemson or VT.

Hard to imagine any alumni kids younger than Brandon being excited about Wake.

Truth.

Same thing here. I have a 17 year who plays basketball but has not watched even a minute of a Wake game in a years. He still has Wake stuff on the walls but mainly is to lazy to take it down.

He only knows of Wake winning through stories I tell him. In his mind, Wake is a perennial looser and has been for his whole lifetime.

Same thing here. I have a 17 year who plays basketball but has not watched even a minute of a Wake game in a years. He still has Wake stuff on the walls but mainly is to lazy to take it down.

He only knows of Wake winning through stories I tell him. In his mind, Wake is a perennial looser and has been for his whole lifetime.

Same story for me and my kids.

Thing is, it’s going to likely take forever for Wake to be a winning program again. Maybe by the time my grandkids are ready to choose a college, we will have a basketball team that’s not embarrassing.

Last edited:
It would be a SUPER SUNDAY, with the football game being a distant second.

Same story for me and my kids.

Thing is, it’s going to likely take forever for Wake to be a winning program again. Maybe by the time my grandkids are ready to choose a college, we will have a basketball team that’s not embarrassing.

I think we will be decent at least in the future but will it even matter? What would it take to create a new generation of fans? A 90s level of success?

Back