• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report - Clemson Tigers - Noon Super Bowl Sunday ESPNU

Pilchard

Reaction score
Our mighty Deacs take on the Clemson Tigers this Sunday as a tainted appetizer before the Super Bowl. Here is what we have to look forward to:

Brownell is WF's Daddy: Any discussion of Clemson and WF has to start out with Brad Brownell's (who is slightly above mediocre as a college coach) utter domination of WF. A mediocre coach's and a mediocre program's abject superiority over WF, as much as anything, points up the pile of garbage that is the state of WF basketball over recent years. This is Brownell's 9th year at Clemson (he was hired, in 2011, at the same time as the brilliant WF Bz hire). Over those 9 seasons, Brownell is 9 games under .500 in the ACC (69-78), but he is 10-1 against WF. WF's one win over a Brad Brownell came almost 5 years ago - February 25, 2014. Brownell is 5-0 against our current fearless leader. FWIW, during this time frame, Clemson's dominance can't be explained by an overwhelming talent disparity as Brownell's Tiger teams have produced only minimal NBA talent in 9 years: Jaron Blossomgame (2nd round NBA draft pick and current journeyman) and KJ McDaniels (also a 2nd round pick, who had had cups of coffee with Sixers, Rockets and Knicks). Just pathetic.

2018-8 Season: Clemson had a disappointing start to the year. They were pre-season top 25 with the core returning from a Sweet 16 team last season. Clemson is 12-8 (2-5) #45, and if the season ended today, they would not be in the NCAAs. The Tigers have top 100 wins over: #97 UGA, #36 Lipscomb (by 17), #82 GT and #66 Pit. All of their losses are to top 100 teams. Brownell typically beats bad teams - thus, his domination of WF. Last time out, Clemson crushed Pitt. The Tigers were up 49-20 late in the first half and cruised from there. Clemson shot a season's best 14 for 29 from 3.

Offense: Disappointing. Currently, Clemson is #12 in conference games on offense. In ACC games, they have struggled with TOs (#13), scoring inside (48% on 2 PT% #11) and shooting FTs (70% #11). Clemson also had struggled from behind the arc until Tuesday's win over Pitt. Clemson plays at a slow tempo averaging 67 possessions a game (#12 in the ACC).

Defense: OK. Playing mostly man, Clemson is #7 in the ACC in defense. The defense focuses on holding teams to one shot (#2 in the ACC in preventing offensive boards) and defending the paint (limiting opponents to 47% from 2). Teams have been able to get to the line against the Tigers (#13 in FTA/FGA), and they have struggled to defend the 3 (ACC opponents shooting 36% from 3 #11).

Lineup: Clemson is experienced, but their bench is limited. Clemson starts: PG 6-3 Sr. Marquise Reed (Robert Morris transfer), SG 6-4 Sr. Shelton Mitchell (Vandy transfer), SF 6-8 Sr. David Skara (Valpo transfer), PF 6-7 So. Aamir Simms, C 6-9 Sr. Elijah Thomas (Texas A&M transfer). Swing players Clyde Trapp and John Newman come off the bench. Everyone except Thomas is a threat from 3. Skara is hitting 41% from 3 on the season.

Bottom line: Loss. KP projects a 76-62 final. Brownell's dominant streak against WF will continue. Elijah Thomas is big and strong, Clemson will get him the ball, and the WF soft interior D will provide no resistance. Would also expect Clemson's 3 point shooting struggles to get healthy on Sunday as well. Generally, young teams get better as the season progresses. WF is getting worse. Discouraging.

Last edited:
I'm a bad person, kinda rooting for a zero-assist game and football-like margin because I want corrective action taken sooner rather than later.

What about rooting for margin and number of points... we score 3 or less and that should certainly get Manning canned!

I made lunch plans and didn’t even check game time.

wake had trouble winning in littlejohn when they were good. another blowout incoming

NHL on NBC will be hosting their traditional Super Bowl Sunday afternoon contest. I'll take that appetizer instead.

Clemson is physically tough, we are not. 79-58 CU any questions? This is one game where I predict they will not beat us as bad in BB as they did in FB score wise at least

I think this will actually be a relatively tight ballgame. We'll lose, but I think we'll keep it in single digits for most of the game.

I have zero basis for this opinion, aside from blind optimism. Just seems like kind of a "meh" game on Super Bowl Sunday afternoon... Maybe we'll show up and Clemson will mail it in.

Another sporting event scheduled for this Sunday that there's no reason to watch.

As Pilchard mentions, Thomas will eat us alive inside, just as he did against NC State, and State’s bigs are not that great ,but better than ours. Shelton Mitchell in his 8th year in college will have a field day driving the lane. A 20 + point loss.

I do think, though ,that the players will fight hard at home next week to avoid another embarrassment—we beat Pitt.

This game should be played at the same time as the super bowl so that less people will see it.

Get it done Ronnie.

Back