• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Another racist democrat

I mentioned it on another thread, but my colleague Rhae Lynn is a boss. I'm pleased to see her work getting a lot of national, public-facing attention.

White Democrats need to abandon their premise that this is a "bad apple" kind of phenomenon. Blackface is an American cultural phenomenon and how we choose to address this will say a lot about our culture.

The gotcha/whatabout dynamic (e.g., ChrisL vs. Lectro/DingusBrad) is definitely not the way to go.

I don't even know what the hell you are talking about (except some intrinsic need to sound above it all).

Do you think that this is an impeachable offense?

medical school

as a 25-year-old

do boys ever stop being "just boys?"

Sorry, missed this comment. Should it be something that someone would consider when voting for somebody? sure. Is this an impeachable "offense" since it really isn't an offense at all? He did nothing illegal.

For the record, I think anybody who wears blackface and hangs out with somebody else in a KKK outfit at a party is a raging douche. And the KAs at GT and Wake when I went to school were both assortments of raging douches. But that isn't an impeachable offense. This isn't a vote of no confidence.

Last edited:
Are we going to apply the same standard to Bernie Sanders and his misogynistic rape fantasy writings?

Sorry, missed this comment. Should it be something that someone would consider when voting for somebody? sure. Is this an impeachable "offense" since it really isn't an offense at all? He did nothing illegal.

For the record, I think anybody who wears blackface and hangs out with somebody else in a KKK outfit at a party is a raging douche. And the KAs at GT and Wake when I went to school were both assortments of raging douches. But that isn't an impeachable offense. This isn't a vote of no confidence.

I don't even know what the hell you are talking about (except some intrinsic need to sound above it all).

Do you think that this is an impeachable offense?

I agree with you that it isn't an impeachable offense. Beyond the realm of team politics, though, this brings up a big question about the politicians who we have trusted to "lead us." I personally don't think a lawmaker who wears blackface has any business in politics, but you're right - it's not an impeachable offense. The same lack of judgment that inspired Northram to don blackface is the same lack of judgment inspiring his decision not to step down.

Are we going to apply the same standard to Bernie Sanders and his misogynistic rape fantasy writings?

whatabout! whatabout!

There is also a big difference between the two examples, between badly constructed satire in even worse taste (Sanders) and wearing blackface as a 25-year-old (Northram). If you can honestly look at these two instances as "of the same type," then I don't know what to tell you.

This is what I'm saying, though. In the same way that #metoo inspired a reckoning of sorts about what we, as a society, are willing to tolerate, I think that this incident and the subsequent revelations about the centrality of blackface to contemporary culture may inspire a similar conversation. Or, at least, I hope it does.

I hope that believing that blackface is an utterly unacceptable form of cultural representation (in 1985 or 2019 - I don't care) is not an "above it all" perspective, but it sounds like you may think that it is.

Yes, clearly I think blackface is acceptable. You got me Strick.

I just hope society can get to the point, in 1972 or 2018, where writing triggering rape fantasies for mass publication would be considered completely unacceptable in the #metoo era without "context" ideological hall passes being issued. One can only dare to dream.

I mean if we are going to nail C Thomas Howell to the cross of political correctness, should Bernie Sanders not be right beside him?

The UVa yearbook is
named for blackface.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...1b268c-2b0d-11e9-b011-d8500644dc98_story.html

See article for supporting links.

“The state’s flagship university, the University of Virginia (where Herring’s performance took place), embraced blackface enthusiastically, especially once the Civil War meant that the school could no longer rely on income from hiring out enslaved people it owned to work on nearby plantations. Starting during Reconstruction, U-Va. made blackface a part of its fundraising strategy. In 1886 or 1887, the official University Minstrel Troupe donated the proceeds of its show to the construction of the university chapel, where couples continue to marry each year. The show, which included a “stump speech” — a stand-up comedy routine lampooning black politicians — also featured a “Berlesque of Mikado,” probably in yellowface.

For decades, the U-Va. minstrel troupe “sweetly” sang in “darky dialect,” as their programs put it, to raise funds. During World War I, a university-sponsored minstrel show took place on the steps of the Rotunda. The school’s yearbook is named “Corks and Curls,” minstrel slang for the burned cork used to blacken faces and the curly Afro wigs that were signature costume pieces (though the yearbook officially denies that’s where the name came from), and scores of old copies highlight the prominence of blackface on campus.”

It is Mr. Jefferson’s university.

I agree that people from Ga Tech are awful people.

Anyone find Richard Burr ('78, Kappa Sig according to Wikipedia)?

That’s when RJ was there right? wonder if he saw any of that. Rich southern frat culture is gross, was then is now. I would never pay for my kid to be in a frat.

The only one that was when I was there was the billboard. That was taken as a shot at bigotry. It's not the same as blackface.

Without question KA and Kappa Sig were unashamedly, openly racist and bigoted against non-Christians. Other frats were less so. I would say Lamba Chi had the most diversity during my years.

The only one that was when I was there was the billboard. That was taken as a shot at bigotry. It's not the same as blackface.

Without question KA and Kappa Sig were unashamedly, openly racist and bigoted against non-Christians. Other frats were less so. I would say Lamba Chi had the most diversity during my years.

Without a doubt

Will Smith in trouble for blueface pictures.

DzFulfTWsAAM5_u.jpg

Back