• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Institutional Malpractice

Wake has had Final Four caliber teams in 1977, 1981, 1984, 1995-1997, 2005, 2009

Don't know just where you are drawing your time line, but you left out the only team that actually made the Final Four: 1962. Consider the 1957 team too.

2003 was a 2-seed 2004 lost a close sweet 16 game

That’s a fair take. Then you remember that Xavier hoops took off after he left and outpaced Wake while Skip was our coach.

That doesn't change any of the analysis relative to Skip. He was who he was.

signed through 2025

signed through 2025

signed through 2025

signed through 2025

signed through 2025

He certainly had flaws as a coach but I would call Skip a home-run for Wake Forest. The fit between Skip and Wake Forest was a rare thing - and something not likely to be found again. His teams played exciting basketball. He recruited great players and seemed to inspire them - just listen to them talk about him even today. He had some down years where he missed on the talent, for sure. But I think he would have had us more than competitive most of the time. Making a final 4 or winning a title take luck as well as talent - some teams and coaches need more luck than others - Wake could never seem to get any at all. Given a few more years with high-end talent I think he would have gotten us there eventually.

For those of us in school during the transition from Odom to Prosser, the energy that Skip brought almost immediately was incredible. He reignited students and the overall fan base in a way i think people forget nowadays. He definitely was a homerun.

Manning tops of the hot seat list. This is probably posted elsewhere but I didn't see it.

https://watchstadium.com/news/colle...-on-the-hot-seat-updated-rankings-02-05-2019/

I think I posted it somewhere in another thread. A few things stand out to me:

1) Manning lost to another coach on the Hot Seat list this season.
2) All of the other coaches on the hot seat were given 5 year extensions...Wellman gave Manning 8.
3) He's still sticking by his fully guaranteed claim.

He certainly had flaws as a coach but I would call Skip a home-run for Wake Forest. The fit between Skip and Wake Forest was a rare thing - and something not likely to be found again. His teams played exciting basketball. He recruited great players and seemed to inspire them - just listen to them talk about him even today. He had some down years where he missed on the talent, for sure. But I think he would have had us more than competitive most of the time. Making a final 4 or winning a title take luck as well as talent - some teams and coaches need more luck than others - Wake could never seem to get any at all. Given a few more years with high-end talent I think he would have gotten us there eventually.

As far fit between a coach and Wake, we have found it again in Clawson, IMO. That guy gets Wake, can sell it and is doing an amazing job.

The one win against a terrible Pitt team should change nothing, but the posts on this board have certainly toned down. Guys he is still a terrible coach and should be gone. A few late season wins should change nothing, but I bet Wellman is smiling and preparing his announcement that Big Dan will return for another season of epic failure

i think it's just the resignation that literally nothing matters to Ron/BOT and we're stuck. if those in charge don't care about the dwindling 'enthusiasm' of even the diehards, why should we even bother talking about it.

i think it's just the resignation that literally nothing matters to Ron/BOT and we're stuck. if those in charge don't care about the dwindling 'enthusiasm' of even the diehards, why should we even bother talking about it.

redacted got me too lethargic to even be apathetic about wake hoops anymore

Shit, is Ron going to hire Chris Mooney? That seams entirely plausible, unfortunately.

He has 9 wins this year too. Ouch.

lol that contract extension is such a fucking joke. what a terrible business decision

I take from this list that Goodman has heard some rumors Danny is out the door. Seems like we won't be talking about him being here next year, but they really can't afford to fuck up the new hire.

Are we sure about that? They couldn’t afford to fuck up the last hire or the one before that either, but yet here they still are.

For those of us in school during the transition from Odom to Prosser, the energy that Skip brought almost immediately was incredible. He reignited students and the overall fan base in a way i think people forget nowadays. He definitely was a homerun.

I agree. The thing about Skip was, people believed we would be good again with him at the helm, even in his last two seasons. He would recruit with the big boys and Wake was on the list of a lot of top players during his time. I think we all remember the OCC recruiting, and I think we would have landed them had they not decided to stay closer to home.

Aside from landing Matta, I don't know who else we could hire in 2019 that would change our course as fast as Skip did in 2001.

My source says the buyout is about 10.2 million, so pretty much his salary times the next 6 years. So no the buyout isnt 18 million. Manning is gettin fired at the end of the year so theres that.

Last edited:
Skip recruited a team that someone not qualified to be a head coach in the ACC took to #1. The program was positioned to be incredibly successful, in my opinion.

I do not mean that to be an insult to Dino. I like Dino and applaud his efforts at a job he never asked to have, but under normal circumstances he did not have the resume to be a head coach in the ACC.

Skip recruited a team that someone not qualified to be a head coach in the ACC took to #1. The program was positioned to be incredibly successful, in my opinion.

I do not mean that to be an insult to Dino. I like Dino and applaud his efforts at a job he never asked to have, but under normal circumstances he did not have the resume to be a head coach in the ACC.

That's true. We'll never know what that team could have been had Skip lived. Even as freshman, that team won 7 ACC games and 17 games overall.

Back