• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Institutional Malpractice

What would Tony Bennett have done with our team in year 3? What benchmark will our new coach need to hit in 2022 to meet your expectations. You’ve had five years to think about it.

What would Tony Bennett have done with our team in year 3? What benchmark will our new coach need to hit in 2022 to meet your expectations. You’ve had five years to think about it.

This is how someone that does not understand basketball looks at this. Set a goal of 13 wins in year 1, 15 wins in year 2, 18 wins in year 3, NCAAT in year 4, Sweet 16 in year 5, etc.

Make those numbers and you are a success. Miss those numbers, you are a failure.

If you understand the game, you would analyze what your coach is doing each year. Under the "just numbers" metric, Dean Smith or Coach K could have been fired early on while Danny Manning would get an extension after exceeding expectations in year 3.

Someone who understands the game would see the foundation that Kaye has set with defense and toughness. That same person would see Manning made mistakes that would embarrass rec coaches, had no defensive identity, and squandered a ton of talent.

If you see a coach that knows basketball and is implementing a rational system, they may miss the desired numbers for a while, but you see where the program is headed.
Clawson is a fine example of this. Same for Kaye or Dean or Tony.

If you don't understand the game, it is hard to have productive discussions.

I’m perplexed by the idea that someone can think a coach barely made the NCAA Tournament in Year 3 on the play of a player who didn’t play enough minutes and left for the NBA and also think that coach deserved another season after winning 11 games in Year 4 without that player.

there were serious concerns about Manning's coaching ability even after year 3. We all saw it.

The idea that you could ignore the dumpster fire of year 2 with the talent level we had is a curious one.

Our concerns were pretty much validated in year 4.

So we all agree that Manning underperformed in year 3, but no one is willing to go on the record with what a coach taking over after [Redacted] should have done in year 3?

Same place we were in two years ago I see.

I’m perplexed by the idea that someone can think a coach barely made the NCAA Tournament in Year 3 on the play of a player who didn’t play enough minutes and left for the NBA and also think that coach deserved another season after winning 11 games in Year 4 without that player.

Me too. Do we know someone who thought this?

I’ll agree with that.

If you could undo the bet, would you? And I’m sure you’d say no, because you’re just so glad to have an excuse to leave these boards. Which begs the question, why don’t you just go.

Why do you keep trying to convince us you’re looking forward to leaving. When you won’t leave. A microcosm of your determined inconsistency.

Door’s that way. No one - how can I say this nicely ah forget it - no one is stopping you.

But I enjoy both the entertainment of your presence and the promise of your departure. Why, it’s the best part of March Madness! We have to have something to rally around!

So if you could undo such an absurd bet, would you?

there were serious concerns about Manning's coaching ability even after year 3. We all saw it.

The idea that you could ignore the dumpster fire of year 2 with the talent level we had is a curious one.

Our concerns were pretty much validated in year 4.

We all saw the flaws in Manning's coaching during year one. Some ignored them because of the [Redacted] dumpster fire. Others tried their best to be patient despite open eyes (god knows I did). Others gave a blanket "he just needs time to get his players and implement his system."

Looking back there was only a fools hope that Danny's limited ceiling could be overcome because... facts. Danny never had a system. He could not keep his players.

F U ronnie.

Back