• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report - Pitt Panthers - Tuesday 7 pm ESPNU

I don’t know that there are many folks actually upset with last night’s win. It was a bad game we somehow won against a fellow bottom feeder in which we looked out coached yet again. That shouldn’t impact manning sticking around.

The few times I see these games live, if they’re close then I certainly want us to win. Old habits die hard I guess. But if it’s clear we’re going to lose a game a la Louisville then I’d rather the final score be as obscene as possible.

Dinger nailed it in the postgame, said we better spend this week working on that zone. Usually play it to keep a team out of the paint but Pitt ended up with 40! Pts in the paint. Happy for the win, shouldnt change the yearend decision.

This is it. Our D is so bad. Opposing teams find guys wide open down low or get to the paint so easily. Pitt doesn't even have a big man and still got 40 pts in the paint compared to our 28. We even outrebounded them 48-35.

Our scheme defensively is horrible. This team really has talent.

This is it. Our D is so bad. Opposing teams find guys wide open down low or get to the paint so easily. Pitt doesn't even have a big man and still got 40 pts in the paint compared to our 28. We even outrebounded them 48-35.

Our scheme defensively is horrible. This team really has talent.

There is a scheme?

I know we all realize this, but it is a disaster in most facets of the game of basketball.

Yeah, the defense sucks no matter if it is man-to-man or zone.

But the offense also sucks. Badly.

And when you throw in the fact that we turn the ball over so many times (mostly unforced), and we have no chance to stay in games.

The only time we look OK is when we're hitting 3s (earlier in the season), making a ton of free throws, and cleaning up the defensive glass. Outside of that, we are susceptible to HUGE scoring runs from the other team because: It is easy for them to score. It is really tough for us to score. And then we just give them the ball via turnovers.

Yikes.

This is kind of how I feel about this game.
aaa36142-3b1f-485d-a283-012ebeac0a92_text_hi.gif

Amen! It is good to have this win going into the week off. Don't care how it happened, it is just good for the players & coaches that they got the win. Nice

I want a coaching change as much as anyone; but the idea that DM has lost this team was not apparent last night The guys seemed to be into the game and pulling for each other and listening, trying to understand what the staff wanted from them. For whatever it's worth, this team seems to enjoy playing together.

People hate the current state of WF basketball so much that they will throw anything out there (e.g., that he has lost the team or that JC's two years at WF had nothing to do with his improvement or that Keyshawn and Bryant had grossly over-estimated their ability).

Unnecessary. There are enough hard facts out there (e.g., like DM's record, which is the only one that counts) to confirm that Manning has been a lousy head coach; so, I don't get why there is a need to try expand the criticism beyond what is undeniable and accurate. Yes, this team likes each other, and they may even like the HC. None of that changes that WF is 9-13 (2-8) with losses to BC (home), Gardner-Webb (home), HBU (home) and Richmond. In addition, WF has been outright embarrassed several times when the team was simply not ready to play. Just not acceptable in year #5.

I want a coaching change as much as anyone; but the idea that DM has lost this team was not apparent last night The guys seemed to be into the game and pulling for each other and listening, trying to understand what the staff wanted from them. For whatever it's worth, this team seems to enjoy playing together.

Yeah, that is kind of what I was trying to get across earlier (but you wrote it better).

On some level, it is depressing that these guys are ostensibly playing hard and rowing in the same direction, because we still suck.

It also makes what happens at the end of the year kind of a mystery (in terms of the roster). Do these guys abandon ship when Manning gets fired? I think that's my assumption.

The mysteries at the end of the season are whether Hoard will get a 1st Round guarantee and leave and if Sarr would leave for Europe with a new coach. That is unless Chaundee completely blows up over the next ten games.

Having to sit out a year will stop the good guys from transferring.

Yeah, that is kind of what I was trying to get across earlier (but you wrote it better).

On some level, it is depressing that these guys are ostensibly playing hard and rowing in the same direction, because we still suck.

It also makes what happens at the end of the year kind of a mystery (in terms of the roster). Do these guys abandon ship when Manning gets fired? I think that's my assumption.

I hope that they will at least wait and meet the new head coach (assuming there will be one). There is a great deal of potential with our young players; but there are also obvious parts that are missing. And if Hoard goes pro, as everyone expects, our returning talent is diminished substantially. Probably won't happen but I would love to see these guys plus the signees play together next year. Seems like we are starting over every year.

If we get a good coach, none of the players expecting to get major minutes (save Hoard going pro) are leaving.

If we get a good coach, none of the players expecting to get major minutes (save Hoard going pro) are leaving.

I would be shocked if that is the case.

Most recent example is Pittsburgh after Stallings was fired last year... Mass exodus started as soon as he was let go. Capel was able to keep some from leaving, but not everyone who would have played significant minutes.

I think it is only natural for players to look at alternatives when the coach (& staff) that recruited them is let go.

Or you can look at when Bz left a few years ago and Cavanaugh & Moto transferred.

I would be shocked if that is the case.

Most recent example is Pittsburgh after Stallings was fired last year... Mass exodus started as soon as he was let go. Capel was able to keep some from leaving, but not everyone who would have played significant minutes.

I think it is only natural for players to look at alternatives when the coach (& staff) that recruited them is let go.

The thing about the Pitt roster is that those guys probably realized they had no business playing in the ACC and that Stallings was the only coach dumb enough to recruit them. The guys that we have on the roster now are true ACC players. Now, they're not all true ACC starters, but that's another story.

The mysteries at the end of the season are whether Hoard will get a 1st Round guarantee and leave and if Sarr would leave for Europe with a new coach. That is unless Chaundee completely blows up over the next ten games.

Having to sit out a year will stop the good guys from transferring.

Sarr seems to not have improved much, if at all.

I think Sarr is improving but really inconsistent. I think he's a lot like what we would have seen from Doral Moore if he had played more minutes as a sophomore, with fewer fouls.

The thing about the Pitt roster is that those guys probably realized they had no business playing in the ACC and that Stallings was the only coach dumb enough to recruit them. The guys that we have on the roster now are true ACC players. Now, they're not all true ACC starters, but that's another story.

I don't buy that. At all. Not even a little bit.

It's not like Capel came in and cleaned house. Those guys all bolted for the exits as soon as Stallings was cut loose.

Marcus Carr went to Minnesota.
Ryan Luther went to Arizona.
Shamiel Stevenson went to Nevada.
Parker Stewart ended up at UT-Martin, but that is because his dad is the coach there. He had interest from Kansas State, Maryland, & Oregon.

I think Sarr is still too small to play the position Manning is forcing him to play. He has a nice face-up mid-range jumper and he has decent timing and athleticism to block shots... But he is not a banger underneath.

He'll benefit from another year to get bigger.

Agree w/ Biff... He has a different game than Moore, but he's being forced to play a lot of minutes (and out of position) before he's really ready for it.

Back