• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report - Pitt Panthers - Tuesday 7 pm ESPNU

Pilchard

Reaction score
Tomorrow night, the 12th place Pitt Panthers travel to W-S to take-on the dead f-ing last Deacs in a game that the ACC wishes could be canceled. Here is the breakdown of WF's opponent:

Record: 12-10 (2-7) Pitt (#73) enters tomorrow's game on 5 game losing streak. None of those losses was closer than 9 as the ACC schedule has started to grind-down a young team. The Panthers' two conference wins came at home over L'ville in OT and FSU. Pitt is 0-6 on the road this year, but at #173, WF is by far the worst team that the Panthers have played on the road this season.

Offense: Pitt is a poor offense team. In ACC games, only GT and WF have been worse on offense. In conference games, Pitt has struggled shooting the ball as they are 14th in effective FG% (44%), 13th in TO% (20% of offensive possessions result in TOs), 13th in 2 PT FG% and 12th in FT%. Pitt does try to play fast as they are #4 in the conference in tempo.

Defense: Mediocre. In ACC games, Pitt is #11 on defense. In conference games, they have fouled a lot (13th in FT rate defense), and they have been killed on the offensive boards (last in offensive rebounding %). Pitt has also struggled at defending the paint (#10 in 2 PT FG%).

Lineup: The lack of experience excuse doesn't work for WF against Pitt. The Panthers start PG 6-3 Fr. Xavier Johnson, SG 6-3 Fr. Trey McGowens, SF 6-5 Sr. Jared Wilson-Frame, PF 6-6 Jr. Malik Ellison (St. John's transfer) and C 6-10 So. Terrell Brown (Brown is not a threat from behind the arc). Pitt often goes very small when Brown is on the bench as their 6th and 7th men are 6-3 Sidy N'Dir (N. Mex. State transfer) and 6-6 Frosh Au'Diese Toney. The Panthers best player and leading scorer is the freshman PG Xavier Johnson; he has scored in double figures in all but two of their ACC games, including 30 at Clemson (which is remarkable since WF's starting guards shot a combined 0-16 (not a misprint) against Clemson yesterday. Wilson-Frame and Johnson are Pitt's key threats from behind the 3 point line.

Bottom Line: Since beating NC State on January 15,WF has mailed it in, losing its games by 16, 23, 28 (at home) and 27. In the one other loss since beating the Pack, WF managed to blow a 7 point lead in the last 5 minutes against a bad team (BC). Realize Pitt is young, reeling and lacking in confidence, but there is virtually no scenario where a WF win is imaginable as WF either gets blown out early or crumbles late. KP projects a 5 point win for the Panthers, which is truly remarkable, given WF is at home, Pitt has lost 5 straight, and they return very little from last year's 0-19 in the ACC Pitt team (KP #227) that was one of the conference's all-time worst teams. Someone has to win, and it will likely be Pitt, for their first ACC road win in two years (16 straight road losses) since a February 8, 2017 win at BC.

Fun times.

Last edited:
If you really want to have an awful evening, watch this basketball game and then follow it up by watching the State of the Union Address.

At first glace, it appears the key to this game will be getting to the free throw line and manufacturing points. If the guys can remember that they can do 3 things when they have the basketball - dribble, shoot, or pass, I think there is a chance they could make this game interesting.

At first glace, it appears the key to this game will be getting to the free throw line and manufacturing points. If the guys can remember that they can do 3 things when they have the basketball - dribble, shoot, or pass, I think there is a chance they could make this game interesting.
Lol. I just realized that Manning might be qualified to check my 5 year old's rec team.

Can’t wait for this shit sandwich

Which one fits best?

Antonyms for entertaining
bad
boring
depressing
disagreeable
dramatic
dull
repellent
repulsive
sad
serious
tragic
unaffecting
unamusing
unenjoyable
unexciting
unfunny
unhappy
uninteresting
unpleasant
unstimulating
laborious
tiring

We need our fans to not show up much like our head coach has the past 5 seasons.

Manning's pre-game talk will go something like this."Remember guys, we need paint touches so make sure you reach down and touch the paint every chance you get. Any questions about which color of paint to touch".

I look forward to Pilchard’s writeups much more than the game. They get a little saltier each week.

Wake +2 at home to the Pitts.

I think we pull the upset tonight. The kids were sufficiently embarrassed last week at home, and I think they bring the effort tonite on defense and on the boards. In spite of poor shooting and turnovers, effort alone will be enough against a bad team at home. Then we win either Miami or Fla State at home and finish the year at 3-15. Wake 71 Pitt 64.

Danny needs two more wins to finish with a slightly better ACC winning percentage than name redacted

I'm going to watch.

I have zero expectations.

If we don't even put up a fight, I'm not going to waste my time the rest of the season. I mean, Pitt clearly has a worse roster than Wake and is coming off one of the worst seasons in ACC history. It is unfathomable how they are better than us this year. In some weird way it gives me hope that this ship can be turned around with a decent hire, because I am not exactly a fan of Capel.

At the end of last season, WF was 138 Kenpom spots better than Pitt. Now, a half of an ACC season later, Pitt is 117 spots better than WF. One coach doing some nice work in his first, not fifth season, and with a young, yes I said young, team.

Back