• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Name for BB&T Field?

Talk about glass half-full: “Also, I believe long term the number of jobs here will actually increase,” Joines said, basing his projection on how BB&T has doubled the number of workers in its former hometown of Wilson to more than 2,000 since moving to Winston-Salem in 1995. From W-S Journal.

I wouldn't buy that. And if you've driven past the BB&T call center in Wilson you just sort of shake your head.

They're supposed to be building a new office building in Wilson to replace their old former headquarters there. Don't know if that will be put on hold or not.

Wholesale Banking will be located in Atlanta since SunTrust's Wholesale operation is considerably stronger than BB&T's.

Bet that moves north up 85 over time. Makes sense to keep it there to start, but Charlotte is a much stronger market for that kind of talent.

It's true. Regions is opening a trading floor a their new building in Charlotte too.

“Our capital markets group is really headquartered in Atlanta,” Katon said. “But the talent pool in Charlotte is just a lot deeper, particularly for areas like capital markets and corporate banking.”

The trading operation will employ about 16 people on part of the tower’s sixth floor, which will also house Regions’ other securities operations, Katon said. Regions has already hired someone to oversee the trading business but is not ready to disclose his name, Katon said, noting the bank plans a formal announcement about the operation in the fourth quarter.

Although Wall Street is better known for its massive trading floors, Regions’ new operation will add to Charlotte trading floors maintained by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, U.S. Bancorp, SunTrust Banks and Fifth Third Bancorp.

I mean, they didn't put the corporate headquarters in Charlotte because they like the way people here can build out their online banking platform.

Just call it Joe Camel Field

That name carries more class than some Wachovia wannabe.

Remember how when the deal with BB&T was announced, the talking point was that the name would be BB&T Field at Groves Stadium?

When was the last time you saw it called Groves Stadium?

Remember how when the deal with BB&T was announced, the talking point was that the name would be BB&T Field at Groves Stadium?

Does it really bother you that much?

Does it really bother you that much?

That is something of a slight to the Groves family. Their generosity got Wake out of playing at the race track, and sharing it with WSSU and several high school teams.

Their generosity was great the time. Does anyone know the actual amount of the gift? I think limitations on naming rights like that for a facility of that profile probably makes sense.

Yeah. And if I remember the specifics, Wellman said the Groves would be represented in the stadium. I think fans including the boards talked about “BB&T Field at Groves Stadium” since that type of naming mechanism was becoming more common.

Yeah. And if I remember the specifics, Wellman said the Groves would be represented in the stadium. I think fans including the boards talked about “BB&T Field at Groves Stadium” since that type of naming mechanism was becoming more common.

Yup. I don't recall that name ever coming from an official source...just boards speculation.

Their generosity was great the time. Does anyone know the actual amount of the gift? I think limitations on naming rights like that for a facility of that profile probably makes sense.

Based on some limited research, the Groves family gave 1/3 of the cost for a new stadium at the time of the move of Wake Forest to Winston-Salem. The amount was $100,000 of a projected cost of $300,000 for the stadium. When finally completed in 1967, it cost almost $4 million.

The Wake Forest stadium on the old campus was named Groves for the family patriarch. Part of the contingency on the Groves family gift was that the new stadium in Winston-Salem also bear the Groves family name.

There was some understanding reached with the Groves family when the naming rights initially went to BB&T. I am not privy to the details about how things were to be done after the renaming. But effectively, the "Groves Stadium" name has been out of usage for over a decade.

Back