• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Name for BB&T Field?

I have no idea how naming rights deals usually work - will BB&T Field (And SunTrust Park in Atlanta) automatically become NewBank Field or will they be opened back up to the highest bidder?

The naming rights are just an asset of the company that bought them. I haven't seen information on the term of the current rights deal, there is a question of whether it was extended, but whatever is left on the deal, including options to extend, will become an asset of NewBank. Usually, the owner of the naming rights can change the name, though they may have to pay for signage changes. There could be some deadline by which they would have to change the name, but in simple terms they still have the rights to call the field whatever name they want. Usually, they will change it to the new name. The naming rights won't be opened for bidding until the current term expires and the current holder of the rights does not exercise any options to extend the deal. In fact, if the NewBank wanted out of the deal, they would probably have to pay some early termination fee.

Just look at the Wells Fargo Center in Philly. Through a series of bank mergers, that venue's name changed from CoreStates, to First Union Center, to Wachovia Center, to Wells Fargo Center.

The naming rights are just an asset of the company that bought them. I haven't seen information on the term of the current rights deal, there is a question of whether it was extended, but whatever is left on the deal, including options to extend, will become an asset of NewBank. Usually, the owner of the naming rights can change the name, though they may have to pay for signage changes. There could be some deadline by which they would have to change the name, but in simple terms they still have the rights to call the field whatever name they want. Usually, they will change it to the new name. The naming rights won't be opened for bidding until the current term expires and the current holder of the rights does not exercise any options to extend the deal. In fact, if the NewBank wanted out of the deal, they would probably have to pay some early termination fee.

Just look at the Wells Fargo Center in Philly. Through a series of bank mergers, that venue's name changed from CoreStates, to First Union Center, to Wachovia Center, to Wells Fargo Center.

Best case scenario NewBank pays to opt out and we use the money to buy DM out.

Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center Field at Wake Forest University

County’s biggest employer I believe

Back