• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

50 worst cities to live in

Fucking get out of here with this trash list.

23. Maili, Hawaii
• Population: 10,190
• Poverty rate: 20.2 percent (top 25 percent)
• 2017 violent crimes per 100,000 people: N/A
• Median home value: $436,200 (top 25 percent)

Maili, Hawaii, ranks among the worst cities to live largely because of its high cost of living – which does not align with what many residents can comfortably afford. Goods and services in the area are 61.4 percent more expensive than they are nationwide, on average. Though the typical area household earns $71,806 per year, incomes are actually far lower than average after accounting for cost of living. The cost of living is especially straining for the larger than typical 20.2 percent share of residents living in poverty.

I could hang in Pinehurst or SP though.

giphy.gif

yeah the number of places in Hawaii on that list makes their methodology suspect. They ranked that place because houses are expensive....that doesn't make a place shitty to live in.

I've heard it's actually pretty tough to live in Hawaii -- housing costs are bananas and there's nowhere to build, traffic is terrible, most jobs are tourism-oriented and don't pay great.

Which is what makes Hickory such a great place to live.

I've heard it's actually pretty tough to live in Hawaii -- housing costs are bananas and there's nowhere to build, traffic is terrible, most jobs are tourism-oriented and don't pay great.

Yeah. Seems like the only reasons to live there are if you grew up there or another Pacific Island or you’re wealthy.

I agree 20-30 miles west of 95 is the dividing line.

Never heard of Bear Grass. I’m pretty sure I’ve been to Williamston before. Grew up going to Bear Creek a lot. My dad grew up there.

Like two of those places are actually cities

The list should have been named "50 worst decaying suburbs and po-dunk towns to live in"

those are similar complaints to Asheville. Outside of your standard professional (lawyer/dr/accountant, etc) type jobs, not a lot out there that isn't in the hospitality industry. I got lucky with my company. tourism and popularity of the city have driven up housing costs, but not a lot of jobs to match. The house I bought would probably be $100k less if in Winston.

Last edited:
Like two of those places are actually cities

The list should have been named "50 worst decaying suburbs and po-dunk towns to live in"

Some of them aren't even towns. I laughed when the first one was Beverly Hills, FL. That is more like a crappy neighborhood. I drove through that area once, and my take was that is where you move if you want to retire to FL but don't have a whole lot of money.

Lillington, Gastonia, and Dunn are honorable mentions in my heart.

At least Williamston has Sunny Side!

If Applebee's and Ruby Tuesday is your idea of fine dining, Wilkesboro is a wonderful town to live in. Seriously, how can it be so close to the mountains, and yet still so incomprehensibly shitty?

Lillington, Gastonia, and Dunn are honorable mentions in my heart.

At least Williamston has Sunny Side!

You're hurting me :)

Grew up in Lillington and high school in Erwin (neighbor to Dunn).
Couldn't honestly disagree with you

You been to Lumberton?

Lumberton is the perfect place to stop for gas and Chick fila for the drive from DC to Charleston. I don't know what this has to do for living there, but has to count for something to keep it off the list. My thoughts on Hickory are well known and well respected.

Totally ok with Bridgeport, Ct making the list. Could potentially be higher though.

those are similar complaints to Asheville. Outside of your standard professional (lawyer/dr/accountant, etc) type jobs, not a lot out there that isn't in the hospitality industry. I got lucky with my company. tourism and popularity of the city have driven up housing costs, but not a lot of jobs to match. The house I bought would probably be $100k less if in Winston.

Apparently there are a lot of people who work for corporate america, just remotely and choose to live in Asheville
I have a friend who started buying crappy houses about 10 years ago with 100% financing (perfect timing if you know Asheville real estate), doing some minor repairs then renting or flipping them... and now he's renting these 2 bd, 1 or 2 bath homes for $1500 -$2000/month.
I asked him who the hell can afford to pay that kind of money for those houses that and he says of the 10 or so houses he rents, 7 or 8 of them are people working remotely for some IT company/fortune 500 type company and making $75k+ (and he says a lot of other landlords he knows say the same thing), so presumably there is a lot of that going, which helps explain how there are people who can afford those rents without any big industry in town (outside of your aforementioned professionals, healthcare and hospitality)

And that’s a trend to keep track of going forward.

You're hurting me :)

Grew up in Lillington and high school in Erwin (neighbor to Dunn).
Couldn't honestly disagree with you

I attended basketball camp at UCLA.

(University of Campbell between Lillington and Angier for those not in the know)

If planet earth has a taint, it would start around Sanford and end around Lumberton.

Back