• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

50 worst cities to live in

The fact that Fayetteville isn’t on this list makes it a shit list...

Fayetteville and Hickory are bad, but for my money Rocky Mount is the biggest shithole in NC. A miserable place, imo. I could also name a number of smaller towns across eastern NC that are bad, but Rocky Mount is the worst of the worst that I've seen in NC.

Fayetteville and Hickory are bad, but for my money Rocky Mount is the biggest shithole in NC. A miserable place, imo. I could also name a number of smaller towns across eastern NC that are bad, but Rocky Mount is the worst of the worst that I've seen in NC.

You been to Lumberton?

You been to Lumberton?

Yep, and it's even worse, along with Laurinburg (really that whole area), but I was thinking of a city with over 50,000 people, so that's why I said Rocky Mount. You're right, though, Lumberton is a depressing place, at least the few times I've been there.

Yep, and it's even worse, along with Laurinburg (really that whole area), but I was thinking of city with over 50,000 people, so that's why I said Rocky Mount. You're right, though, it's a depressing place, at least the few times I've been there.

Yep. My mom is from there and we would go visit my grandmother there. Lovely place.

Yep, and it's even worse, along with Laurinburg (really that whole area), but I was thinking of a city with over 50,000 people, so that's why I said Rocky Mount. You're right, though, Lumberton is a depressing place, at least the few times I've been there.

I won’t tolerate this slander of Laurinburg. We duel at dawn.

Actually it’s a pretty sad town now. Pharma lab closed there along with some other manufacturing jobs around the time I was in HS and it’s just a wasteland now. It’s sad. I loved growing up there.

Fayetteville is no destination, but it’s no worse than (or better than) most anyplace south or east of Raleigh (area) not on the coast.

I really hated every second I spent in the Fayetteville area the two summers I worked there. It was the people more than anything. A mixture of military douchebags, people from every crevice of the world who all hate everyone that isn’t them, horrible drivers, and the people who are born and raised in Fayetteville with no military affiliation are truly a special breed of crazy. But now that Lumberton has been mentioned I will redact Fayetteville and vote for that shithole, people I knew from both college and the summer camp I worked at were from there. It was bad, and I can only imagine how much worse it is now after the flooding. I specifically remember one dude from Lumberton saying to me “dude, you’re from big ass city, Winston Salem has skyscrapers and an ACC team”. I had never once thought of the dash as a big city, but in comparison to anything in that area it might as well be Paris.

I know Fayetteville and much of southern and eastern NC pretty well.

Fayetteville is far from the worst place to live.

Good question.

I don’t think there’s anyplace in that region I’d choose to live other than someplace on the coast, maybe.

Unless there was an especially good employment/business opportunity or a family connection that was important.

Edited to fix dumb autocorrect.

Last edited:
Which ones are the good Eastern NC spots?

I wouldn't want to live in any of these places, but Greenville, New Bern, Edenton, and Washington are at least livable. Not sure if we're including Wilmington in this conversation, but I could manage living there.

Back