• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Ranking #62 for 2019

Not so sure about all of the App hate going on here. They lost in OT in Happy Valley in week one and to a 10 win Georgia Southern team on the road without their starting defensive captain (targeting in the 1st quarter), starting QB (concussion on a non called targeting in 1st quarter), and all conference RB (broken ankle the previous game). Then they went on to win their conference and completely demolish another conference champion im their bowl game.

Not so sure about all of the App hate going on here. They lost in OT in Happy Valley in week one and to a 10 win Georgia Southern team on the road without their starting defensive captain (targeting in the 1st quarter), starting QB (concussion on a non called targeting in 1st quarter), and all conference RB (broken ankle the previous game). Then they went on to win their conference and completely demolish another conference champion im their bowl game.

I pull for App unless they play Wake, but if they played more than 1 or 2 teams per year with a pulse, then they wouldn’t always look like world beaters. They get super hyped to play a big boy team early each year and usually make it competitive, but they are 0-fer the last decade vs P5. They aren’t top 50 if they didn’t play 10 cupcakes per year.

I pull for App unless they play Wake, but if they played more than 1 or 2 teams per year with a pulse, then they wouldn’t always look like world beaters. They get super hyped to play a big boy team early each year and usually make it competitive, but they are 0-fer the last decade vs P5. They aren’t top 50 if they didn’t play 10 cupcakes per year.

I disagree that Arkansas State and Georgia Southern are cupcakes. Not sure what people expect from a program that just moved up from fcs to fbs less than 5 years ago... When App goes to Columbia and Chapel Hill and walks out with two wins next fall I can’t wait for people here to criticize those wins. If Wake went into Knoxville, Athens, and State College and walked out knowing that they competed/should’ve won those games then I would understand the “App is overrated” sentiment on these boards. Unfortunately Wake doesn’t play in places like that unless it’s every other season in Clemson and Tallahassee... Either way I am not looking forward to the game in Winston two years from now.

Didn't App St give Penn St a heluva run for their money in Happy Valley last year? You may not like 'em, but I think you're gonna have to respect 'em

Tennessee and Penn State weren’t that good. I think y’all are missing my point. I like App and they do have the ability to “get up” once per year for an early season game, but if they played a full season against tough competition, then we wouldn’t be talking about them being ranked 31st. I also hope they beat chapel hill by 50.

Didn't App St give Penn St a heluva run for their money in Happy Valley last year? You may not like 'em, but I think you're gonna have to respect 'em

Didn’t Happy Appy fans spit on J. Williams in Boone in 2017?

This is perfect. Like I have always said, Which of our opponents puts an "L" next to the Wake game when their schedule comes out. Planning a trip to Boston for the BC game. Hope we are 5-0 and ranked after that weekend.

I like pulling for App. Attending our game there two years ago was awesome and they outplayed us. (To be fair if we played them a few weeks later after we opened up our offense we would have destroyed them.) The app hate on this board is dumb though. I agree that they would be mediocre in the ACC but most of the time we are lucky to be mediocre in the ACC. Their fans can be annoying when they are overhyped about their team and then are shocked when Wake beats them. But compared to Duke, NCSU, and UNC fans, they are a joy to be around. I'd be quite happy to have Wake and App the two best football teams in NC (in that order).

And if we stay healthy I could see us being ranked during the season next year if not at the end of it.

Seems about right? That's LOWF talk. This is a pretty bad slight, based on how we played at the end of the year and what we have coming back, and should be viewed as such by Claw and the team.

No slight intended. I think from the person doing the ranking is probably not a Wake fan and bases the rankings off some mild "research". Finishing the regular season with only 6 wins, barely making a bowl, is not going to get the reporter an incentive to dig deep into why. While I think we will much better next year (and a record to prove it) I can't see a national reporter sticking his neck out to rank Wake much higher. You or I probably could rank them in order and we'd be not too far off from his and the end of the season. I just don't get too upset when people rank Wake low. Until we are consistently performing well, we just have to get used to it.

Also don't get the App hate but I'm not old enough to have experienced when this was a "rivalry". App is a fun place to attend football games, the people are fun to be around, they throw good tailgates, and play good football. I'd much rather them be the second best team in NC behind us (to echo TF) rather than Duke, UNC, or NCSU.

I don't know if the ranking is overzealous for them. They have a lot of returning talent but with a new coach (that was an underwhelming hire imo) they could suffer. Especially if they switch their defense from a 3-4 to a 4-3.

What is all of the App victim-hood here? Nobody is hating on App - just pointing out how ridiculous it is that they are ranked to have the 19th best team returning production. Whatever their calculation is, it is clearly flawed.

Hell, I actually like app and even know a few of their players, so I watched several of their games last year.

Back