• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Ranking #62 for 2019

I’m sure college kids get just as hyped to play Wake as they do Miami and South Carolina. Not even going to dignify the stadium and fan insult with a response.

I think you're wrong on this one zglass... I grew up in the mountains and pretty much everyone I went to HS with went to App, along with half my family. The Wake game is huge for them - they love to beat us more than just about anyone. Other than a truly huge game like Michigan in the big house, the Wake game is the one they get up for the most. A lot of it is based on proximity and history - back when they were 1-AA we played them pretty often for a number of years and they would pour down the mountain in droves, salivating at the opportunity to beat us.

There is also animosity from the year they kicked a chip-shot field goal at the buzzer to tie us and effectively keep us out of a bowl - instead of going for the win like a real team.

I’m sorry to burst your bubble but Wake isn’t App’s super bowl. Not when they have teams like Tennessee, UGA, Penn State, South Carolina, Wisconsin, Texas A&M, and Miami on the schedule every year.

Hasn't App St lost to ALL of those teams?

I think you're wrong on this one zglass... I grew up in the mountains and pretty much everyone I went to HS with went to App, along with half my family. The Wake game is huge for them - they love to beat us more than just about anyone. Other than a truly huge game like Michigan in the big house, the Wake game is the one they get up for the most. A lot of it is based on proximity and history - back when they were 1-AA we played them pretty often for a number of years and they would pour down the mountain in droves, salivating at the opportunity to beat us.

There is also animosity from the year they kicked a chip-shot field goal at the buzzer to tie us and effectively keep us out of a bowl - instead of going for the win like a real team.

I guess being raised a Wake fan and going to App those other games mean more to me because Wake never played at any of those places or if they did they were taken to the woodshed. I can see how it would mean more to the average App fan to beat Wake. Also I just want to go on record saying that I hate watching App play Wake now, I just don’t think Wake fans should be against it.

Hasn't App St lost to ALL of those teams?

Yes. Tennessee and Penn State in OT, and UGA in the second half. They play at South Carolina and UNC next year, @Wisconsin the next year, @Miami the next year, @Texas A&M after that. Since I started school they have been to LSU, Florida, Virginia Tech, Michigan (twice), and Clemson as well and every one of those were blowouts aside from the 2007 win in Ann Arbor.

That was 30 years ago and it was a chicken shit call by "Sparky"

I’m sure college kids get just as hyped to play Wake as they do Miami and South Carolina. Not even going to dignify the stadium and fan insult with a response.

So instead you’re going to make the insults yourself?

So instead you’re going to make the insults yourself?

Is it an insult to speak an obvious truth? The guy was comparing Wake football with South Carolina and Miami. If you really think that we are historically on par with those programs and are insulted that I suggested that the average college kid doesn’t think the same then you may want to watch out for table corners and pieces of paper with that thin skin of yours.

Is it an insult to speak an obvious truth? The guy was comparing Wake football with South Carolina and Miami. If you really think that we are historically on par with those programs and are insulted that I suggested that the average college kid doesn’t think the same then you may want to watch out for table corners and pieces of paper with that thin skin of yours.

I was referring to your “kissing your sister” comment.

I really have no idea what you’re talking about. I was just talking some smack. I think it’s clear where the thin skin is.

Yes. Tennessee and Penn State in OT, and UGA in the second half.

This is a flat out lie. Georgia was up 21-0 at halftime and 31-0 after three quarters. Final score was 31-10. The line was 14.5.

Technically you can say that the game was lost in the second half when the fourth quarter ended.

I guess I should give you the benefit of the doubt that you may have misremembered.

Last edited:

Well,.... to be accurate. It was an extra point. App went for the kick extra point (1) very late in game, to tie, and keep Wake out of a bowl, rather than go for a win with a 2 point attempt/win. (no OT back then).

This is a flat out lie. Georgia was up 21-0 at halftime and 31-0 after three quarters. Final score was 31-10. The line was 14.5.

Technically you can say that the game was lost in the second half when the fourth quarter ended.

I guess I should give you the benefit of the doubt that you may have misremembered.

Semantics biff.

Is playing South Carolina really that exciting? At least Miami was a power at one time.

Wait, I have thin skin ?

I'd say Wake is more or less on par with those programs right now. It's hard to know what you mean when you say "we."

But App Stae football is a different type of thing than Power 5 football. They get super-psyched to play against whatever P5 team decides to throw them a bone and putthem on the schedule.They always lose, but they get excited. Meanwhile P5 team paly other P5 teams almost every other week of the season and have to work extra hard to stay interested. App State played one decent team the rest of the season after the Penn State game and got their ass handed to them.

Thin skin remarks weren’t directed towards you biff, lord knows you don’t have thin skin. And yes Ga Southern destroyed App and no amount of injuries or ejections is an excuse for that. Okay, I’m off my sopabox now. To avoid any further confusion if I say “we” in ogboards I mean Wake. I’ll reserve my App energy where it belongs on yosefscabin.

A game with App state is the definition of a lose-lose situation for Wake football. I don't mind playing them ever so often, but we should not have annual home-home series with the happy appys. We need tune-up games to get ready for the ACC season. We don't need to be playing in the annual app state i-am-pissed-because-they didn't-recruit-me super bowl.

Wake played two of the 4 teams this year in the playoffs. We don't need guarantee games because we are in a real conference

Back