• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Suggestions Thread

They are such anal retentive twats over there. Almost got banned for showing them how their product could be improved? Absolutely absurd.

What do you mean by front page? I don't know of many message boards that have a successful front page outside of the base forum links, unless that's the page you're talking about. But by status line I mean something on every page, added to the top nav. Basically a ticker for news like a player signing, game links, etc. A lot of the vBulletin boards that are popular have one - makes the forums seem very active and also denotes the mods are active. Even better if it was the ogboards twitter feed and you could follow it.

I doubt anyone will every really use the calendar much, but who knows.

And I do think the site looks clean - good job on the look and feel. You're definitely right to be careful about it.

Anyway congrats on the site and good work. When they switched to the garbage Scout board back in the day I actually built a site like this one just to show off how pathetic their board was. Almost got banned... Assholes...

We bought the publisher suite which gives some blogging features among other things. We need to get that activated and we can mold our frontpage around that.

I've seen a few successful frontpages. Showing popular posts etc..

What do you mean by front page? I don't know of many message boards that have a successful front page outside of the base forum links, unless that's the page you're talking about. But by status line I mean something on every page, added to the top nav. Basically a ticker for news like a player signing, game links, etc. A lot of the vBulletin boards that are popular have one - makes the forums seem very active and also denotes the mods are active. Even better if it was the ogboards twitter feed and you could follow it.

I doubt anyone will every really use the calendar much, but who knows.

And I do think the site looks clean - good job on the look and feel. You're definitely right to be careful about it.

Anyway congrats on the site and good work. When they switched to the garbage Scout board back in the day I actually built a site like this one just to show off how pathetic their board was. Almost got banned... Assholes...

Can you give me an example of a forum with a ticker bar like the one you're talking about? My mental image of this is probably not even close to what you're describing. :tard:

I don't expect the calendar to be used much unless we actually can integrate it with a ticker somehow.

By front page, we are discussing having something similar to what the Scout boards has, with blog postings/important updates/etc... this is a really really long way off though.

lower navigation is silly, thats what the forum jump box is for. less clicking!

Minimize it if you don't like it?

If I just want to go back to the subforum I was already in it technically is less clicking. ;)

Successful as in cool or successful as in click-through rates?

Regardless, no big deal - if you can pull it off I'm sure it'd be cool. From experience I'd just recommend an inside-out approach - add the initial high value stuff to the popular pages (forum list home, front page for each forum). For instance Drew's sticky on game DVD's... Driving users to the site for everyday stuff is key - especially for stuff the other site sucks at like updating game links, providing timely news/updates, etc - or anything web2.0 like an iPhone/Droid App, twitter integration, etc. I mean, you could feed the player tweets here for example in a twitter box. That'd be cool.

Anyway, good luck - you're off to a great start.

Successful as in cool or successful as in click-through rates?

Regardless, no big deal - if you can pull it off I'm sure it'd be cool. From experience I'd just recommend an inside-out approach - add the initial high value stuff to the popular pages (forum list home, front page for each forum). For instance Drew's sticky on game DVD's... Driving users to the site for everyday stuff is key - especially for stuff the other site sucks at like updating game links, providing timely news/updates, etc - or anything web2.0 like an iPhone/Droid App, twitter integration, etc. I mean, you could feed the player tweets here for example in a twitter box. That'd be cool.

Anyway, good luck - you're off to a great start.

That's a pretty damn good idea.

Can you give me an example of a forum with a ticker bar like the one you're talking about? My mental image of this is probably not even close to what you're describing. :tard:

I don't expect the calendar to be used much unless we actually can integrate it with a ticker somehow.

By front page, we are discussing having something similar to what the Scout boards has, with blog postings/important updates/etc... this is a really really long way off though.

Quick hunt just found

http://ubuntuforums.org/

I'm talking dead simple - that message about Ubuntu Global Jam as an example - but obviously for this board it'd be next game countdown, or a link to a thread on a player signing, etc.

Ahh, I see. Thanks for that example. Yeah that's definitely something we can try and get going.

Wow, a twitter box is a really great idea.

Wow, a twitter box is a really great idea.

+1000

Make that happen! You would have to create an account for this board and then follow all of the players. They would have to accept you as a follower, but I bet they would think its cool that it is showing up in the box.

Not sure if the problem is on my end, but i can't get the (formerly) blue arrows to take me to my last-read post on the thread anymore. It always takes me somewhere in the middle. It also always shows threads as unread even though I have read every single post. Ideas?

Not sure if the problem is on my end, but i can't get the (formerly) blue arrows to take me to my last-read post on the thread anymore. It always takes me somewhere in the middle. It also always shows threads as unread even though I have read every single post. Ideas?

We are aware of this. It is most likely a cookie issue.

Best advice currently is to clear your cookies/cache and restart your browser.

Two things I suggest for the clutter issue:

1) Put the "started by" info in it's own column, thus making the subject line one line, centered in its row. That will decrease a lot of the clutter (especially if you keep the row the same width).

2) I think the subtle alternating color background like DS helps as well (although the main issue is squeezing bolded headlines and a smaller thread starter into one box.

Back