• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Baseball HOFers Traded Before or in Their Prime

tagsfan

Reaction score
I've been working on a lineup of the all-time greats who were traded during or before their prime years. Obviously, most of any such list will be players before the free agent era started. So far I have:
SP: Nolan Ryan
RP: John Smoltz
2B: Joe Morgan
SS: Luis Aparicio
OFs: The Babe, Frank Robinson, and Lou Brock
Who am I missing? I haven't done a ton of research but in looking at the HOF website no one jumps out for the positions I'm lacking. Thoughts? Who among active players should eventually be on this list?

Ozzie Smith for Gary Templeton comes to mind.

After his trade to Cinci, Junior was hurt a lot and not the same player.

I guess he was an off-season pickup for the Braves. I pulled a Roger Clemons and misremembered.

Alex Rodriguez was traded from the Rangers to NYY. Not sure where you'd count his "prime" though, because he won an MVP in Texas.

One of the worst trades as an O's fan was trading away Steve Finley, Pete Harnisch and Curt Schilling (all future All Stars) for freaking Glenn Davis. Davis suffered a shoulder injury in his first spring and basically sucked.

C: Mike Piazza

Traded from the Dodgers to the Marlins while in his prime in May, 1998. Traded to the Mets one week later.

12× All-Star (1993–2002, 2004, 2005)

Delino DeShields. Or was there someone else involved in that trade?

Robbie Alomar. Gary Sheffield.

I don’t think anyone would necessarily replace who you have, I’m just spitballing.

Last edited:
Reggie Jackson is another outfielder. Reggie, Ken Holtzman and a minor leaguer traded to Orioles for Don Baylor, Mike Torrez and Paul Mitchell in 1976. The next year he FA'd to Yanks.

Reggie Jackson from Oakland to NYY.

blue beat me to it. I didn't realize he went to the Orioles first. Two bad moves.

Rickey was traded a few times. Lou Brock in the second Cubs blunder on this page.

Back