• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Baseball HOFers Traded Before or in Their Prime

Dave Winfield?

edit: 1980 - free agent move to Yankees.

Last edited:
Reggie Jackson is another outfielder. Reggie, Ken Holtzman and a minor leaguer traded to Orioles for Don Baylor, Mike Torrez and Paul Mitchell in 1976. The next year he FA'd to Yanks.

That trade balanced things out for the O's for their stealing F. Robby from the Reds for Milt Pappas, Jack Baldschun, and Dick Simpson.

Orlando Cepeda, first base. Had his only MVP year after being traded from San Francisco to St Louis for pitcher Ray Sadecki during the 1966 season. Ironically, the trade happened while the Giants were in St. Louis playing the Cardinals. Nothing like being told to move to the other locker room during a series.

3rd Base: John "Homerun" Baker. Major league debut in 1908 in Philly. Sold by Philadelphia Athletics to New York Yankees after 1914 season. Played 6 years for A's and six for Yankees. He didn't play MLB in 1915 or 1920.

A's were having financial difficulties so they sold players.

Pedro was traded twice before/during his prime.

David Ortiz was traded by the Mariners to the Twins.

Schilling was traded three times before he got to the Phillies.

Randy Johnson was traded twice before/during his prime.

Piazza traded twice.

Halladay was in his prime when he was traded to the Phillies

Others: Rickey Henderson, Roberto Alomar, Jeff Bagwell, Trevor Hoffman. I'm sure there are tons more.

Wasn't Miguel Cabrera traded by the Mariins to the Tigers in his prime? I am going off of the top of my head here. But trading a future Triple Crown Winner (and he came close at some other times).

C: Mike Piazza

Traded from the Dodgers to the Marlins while in his prime in May, 1998. Traded to the Mets one week later.

12× All-Star (1993–2002, 2004, 2005)

C: Carlton Fisk? Arguably past his prime when he went from the Red to White Sox.

Who's the coolest Baseball player of all time?

st_x.jpg

Here are some others:

Kiki Cuyler. Traded by the Pirates to age 28. Stud for the Cubs for the next 9 years.
Trevor Hoffman. Traded by the Marlins to the Padres at age 24.
Nellie Fox traded by the Philly A's to the White Sox at age 22.
George Kell traded by the Philly A's to the Tiger at age 24.
Heinie Manush traded by the Tigers to the St. Louis Browns at age 24 and then by the Browns to the Senators at age 28.
Joe Morgan traded by the Colt 45/Astros to the Reds at age 28.
Gaylord Perry traded by the Giants to the Indians at age 32 (won more games after he was traded than before).
Al Simmons traded by the Philly A's to the White Sox at age 31.
John Smoltz traded by the Tigers to the Braves at age 20.
Bruce Sutter traded by the Cubs to the Cards at age 28.
Hoyt Wilhelm did not make the majors until he was 29. Then traded by the Giants to the Cardinals when he was 33. Was then released twice. Signed by the Orioles at 35. Traded by the O's to the White Sox when he was 39. Pitched for the White Sox until he was 46. Played for 4 more teams until he was 49.

Who's the coolest Baseball player of all time?

st_x.jpg

This picture just made me realize that I'm apparently into dudes. Thanks for the confusion, Palma. I hope that you can explain this to my wife, especially on Vday.

Back