• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

PSU Hoops - National Media Sees Chambers as Possible Manning Replacement

How does that compare to 4-4 vs. 0-5??

MJ was only slightly below 50%...but keep on trying...maybe you'll make some sense.
You cooked up a scenario in which you'd take Alfonzo McKinnie over Steph Curry on a game-winning 3.

Quit while you're behind.

You cooked up a scenario in which you'd take Alfonzo McKinnie over Steph Curry on a game-winning 3.

Quit while you're behind.

Of course there is a radical outlier, when you have the greatest of all time versus a scrub. But in a rational position, it's a no brainer.

It's not my fault you don't understand the game.

Of course there is a radical outlier, when you have the greatest of all time versus a scrub. But in a rational position, it's a no brainer.

It's not my fault you don't understand the game.
Huh?

I was just following your example. I didn't even use players that are at the extremes of what you suggested. You said 45% and 30%. Steph has a career 43.6% 3P%. McKinnie's is 33.7%. If Steph was 0-5 in a game and McKinnie was 4-4, you said you'd want McKinnie taking the last shot. That's what you said.

Last edited:
You are being insane....but taking things to irrational places makes sense to you...and proves you know nothing about the games...anyone who doesn't believe in the hot or cold hand simply doesn't get it...but keep jerking yourself off...no one else will...

We have 279 posts on a thread about PSU? WTF?

Some of you guys will argue over anything

THERES NOTHING TO ARGUE ABOUT! PENN STATE IS A TOP 40 TEAM! STATISTICS ARE A CONSPIRACY! THE HOT HAND EXISTS! PAT CHAMBERS IS JOHN WOODEN REINCARNATE!

You are being insane....but taking things to irrational places makes sense to you...and proves you know nothing about the games...anyone who doesn't believe in the hot or cold hand simply doesn't get it...but keep jerking yourself off...no one else will...

Statistics are irrational. Got it.

Stats have use, but they aren't the be all and end all that many here portray them as...or PSU should get a 9 seed...

RJ - simple question, can a “hot hand” end in the middle of a game, or does a player stay hot until the end?

What the hell are you talking about? 45% and 30% were your numbers you threw out there. Steph has shot 43.6% from 3 in his career. McKinnie is at 33.7%. Those are just facts.

Are you now saying you wouldn't take McKinnie over Steph on a game-winning 3 if Steph was 0-5 in the game and McKinnie 4-4?

RJ - What if a player is 4 out of 5, but missed their last shot, while another player is 2 out of 8, but made their last two? Who has the hot hand? What is the smell of the color nine?

What the hell are you talking about? 45% and 30% were your numbers you threw out there. Steph has shot 43.6% from 3 in his career. McKinnie is at 33.7%. Those are just facts.

Are you now saying you wouldn't take McKinnie over Steph on a game-winning 3 if Steph was 0-5 in the game and McKinnie 4-4?

It's a moronic premise. As I said you are trying to use a total outlier in the greatest shooter rather than the other 98% of the world. What you are really doing is showing your ignorance and being a dick.

My bad, you've proven your top level ability at each of those.

How would one determine that Stephen Curry is such a good 3-point shooter?

By his history. Anyone who tries to say I don't like stats is a lazy, blind, ignorant fool. But I don't believe in nonsensical numbers that some parade as the only things to believe.

By his history of making shots at a very high percentage?

By his history of making shots at a very high percentage?

Can you find an exception(s) to every "rule"? Of course you can.

But you, Ayo and some other would rather be assholes than to admit that numbers don't or can't prove everything.

Why do people even bother?

So, you don't believe the hot hand exists? You don't believe certain hitters or pitchers own each other?

As a bettor, do you believe you'd bet Penn State over all but 38-40 other teams on a neutral court?

My bad, not being a stat lemming is unacceptable.

do you stand by your premise that a coach would rather have a 30% shooter who went 4-4 over a 45% shooter who is 0-5 in a game?

do you stand by your premise that a coach would rather have a 30% shooter who went 4-4 over a 45% shooter who is 0-5 in a game?

There are obviously very rare exceptions to EVERY rule. As a general rule, yes. But if you insert the greatest shooter of all time, no. If it's the difference between two guys on Team X, yes they would.

Another example of numbers aren't the be all and end all, could be fielding range. Smart fielders know what pitchers are throwing and what hitters do with those pitches. Thus, they are in better position and don't have to show maximum range. But to the geeks, it shows the fielder didn't show range when that's not the reality.

Back