• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

PSU Hoops - National Media Sees Chambers as Possible Manning Replacement

So what is different about UVA's system where they consistently beat top 10 to 20 teams in the regular season but then lose in the postseason? The possessions per game aren't any different in the tournament v. the regular season. They beat Cuse in the regular season the year they lost to them in the Elite 8 (and the postseason game featured just one more possession).

ETA: In UVA's five losses in the NCAAT the last five years, they were within 3 possessions of their season average in every single game (three faster and two slower).

Why don't you count ALL of Bennett's post season losses rather than excluding a bad one?

By the way, in three of those losses with the approximately equal number of seasonal possessions, they lost by 26, 26 and 20. None of those losses were to significantly better teams. Thus, their pace did influence the results.

Who cares about the number of possessions? It's what you do with the possessions.

I can't believe you don't get the reality that a team has far less margin of error by creating fewer possessions.

I included UVA's last five NCAAT's but did omit his first loss, where they were underdogs to Florida (and lost by 26 - UVA was 33 in KP, Florida 10). Notably, in that game they were also within 3 possessions of their season average.

My point is not that the pace does not influence the results at large, it's that since they are playing approximately the same pace (possessions per game) as they do during the regular season (where they are 166-35 over the last 6 seasons) that pace is not the reason why they are losing postseason games. If pace were why they were losing these games, you'd expect them to also struggle in the regular season against faster teams. They have not. If the pace were faster in the NCAAT than the regular season, then this might show they struggle in games with a faster temp. The pace has not been much faster in the NCAAT.

So what is it about the pace that is causing them to lose in the postseason that is not causing them to lose in the regular season? It's not as if the postseason has different rules. Similarly, why are they succeeding in the ACCT if pace is causing an issue?

I can't believe you don't get the reality that a team has far less margin of error by creating fewer possessions.

The issue UVA runs into isn't an advanced stats one, it's that since they slow the game down (therefore creating fewer possessions per game) the sample size for possessions is lower over the course of one game so they're more susceptible to an upset.

Ah never change RJ never change

Lol what? In the past hour I've made these two posts, do you read what I'm saying?

Why do they need to speed up and how would that be calculated into any analysis? They're the top ranked team in advanced metrics and are 23-2.

The issue UVA runs into isn't an advanced stats one, it's that since they slow the game down (therefore creating fewer possessions per game) the sample size for possessions is lower over the course of one game so they're more susceptible to an upset.

That's just small sample size and is exactly what I said anyway: an inherent issue with a slow pace is fewer possessions = smaller sample size.

I was responding to your point that UVA doesn't have the ability to speed the game up, which you seemed to indicate was why they struggled at times. I said why would they need to since they're dominating with a slow tempo and you devolved into some other diatribe.

A slower tempo is why a team may get upset in ANY game they play - regular season or other. If there is no meaningful difference in the number of possessions you're playing in the regular season (when you're dominating) and the postseason (when you're getting upset) then how the hell is pace the reason why you're losing in the postseason OTHER THAN the fact that you are more likely to get upset in ANY game you play because of the slower pace - which I pointed out to start with.

Big matchup for our Nittany Lions this Saturday as they head to Champaign to take on the Fightin’ Ayos.

rj has such a hard time with numbers and statistics that it's gotta be a learning disability and I can't make fun of that

Keep trying Juice, MAYBE one day you'll have original thought...I'm not holding my breath.

Not respecting made up numbers is different from not understanding.

Frosty, I can't believe you don't think PSU should be in The Dance with a 3-12 conference record. After all they are #48. And it's not IL fault that they went 4-7 OOC, anyone could see that would be a Top 65 team.

GEEEZZZ

Virginia-Louisville, LSU-Tennessee or Penn State-Illinois tomorrow at noon?

Easy decision

Not respecting made up numbers is different from not understanding.

Frosty, I can't believe you don't think PSU should be in The Dance with a 3-12 conference record. After all they are #48. And it's not IL fault that they went 4-7 OOC, anyone could see that would be a Top 65 team.

GEEEZZZ
And you still don't understand the difference between being ranked 48 as a predictive measure and having a resume that would warrant an NCAA tournament bid. They are two different things

I completely understand it. I just think it's BS...If you can't see that's sarcasm,. it's on you..

Will be nice to have a team to root for in the NCAAs

You’ve gotta believe with a few wins in a row they’re gonna be able to make some noise in the postseason.

Pat Chambers has PSU up to #46 in KP. I think it’s fair to say he would be a clear upgrade over Manning. Everyone agrees that he should be considered in any potential coaching search. He’s only making $900k/year right now so we can definitely offer more. This does, however, raise the question of whether Wake is a better job than Penn State right now.

Back