• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

PSU Hoops - National Media Sees Chambers as Possible Manning Replacement

Pat Chambers has PSU up to #46 in KP. I think it’s fair to say he would be a clear upgrade over Manning. Everyone agrees that he should be considered in any potential coaching search. He’s only making $900k/year right now so we can definitely offer more. This does, however, raise the question of whether Wake is a better job than Penn State right now.

Almost top 40! Way ahead of schedule!

Wake is definitely a better job than Penn State. Football will always be king there and basketball gets the scraps. Horrible arena to play in. It was designed as a multi-purpose facility. There is zero home court advantage.

Chambers has recruited at a level never seen by Penn State basketball. And even in a disappointing season, the team is still playing hard for him. We could do much worse.

Wake is definitely a better job than Penn State. Football will always be king there and basketball gets the scraps. Horrible arena to play in. It was designed as a multi-purpose facility. There is zero home court advantage.

Chambers has recruited at a level never seen by Penn State basketball. And even in a disappointing season, the team is still playing hard for him. We could do much worse.

He is one of the P6 achools coaches that might accept an Offer from Wake.

Pat Chambers has PSU up to #46 in KP. I think it’s fair to say he would be a clear upgrade over Manning. Everyone agrees that he should be considered in any potential coaching search. He’s only making $900k/year right now so we can definitely offer more. This does, however, raise the question of whether Wake is a better job than Penn State right now.

Yep, we want a coach whose highest finish in his first seven years in the mediocre Big 10 was 6th. His Big Ten record (including this year) is 42-100. That's a winning percentage of .296. Wanting him is the epitome of LOWF.

Yes, Wake is a much superior job to Penn State.

Yep, we want a coach whose highest finish in his first seven years in the mediocre Big 10 was 6th. His Big Ten record (including this year) is 42-100. That's a winning percentage of .296. Wanting him is the epitome of LOWF.

Yes, Wake is a much superior job to Penn State.

I don’t know, rj. Wake is only one win behind Penn State record-wise, yet we’re 130 spots behind them in KP. Everyone agrees Chambers should be given strong consideration. A similar record at Wake obviously doesn’t go as far as it does at Penn State.

Also, how bad would Penn State beat us if the game was on a neutral floor?

Why don't you count ALL of Bennett's post season losses rather than excluding a bad one?

By the way, in three of those losses with the approximately equal number of seasonal possessions, they lost by 26, 26 and 20. None of those losses were to significantly better teams. Thus, their pace did influence the results.

Who cares about the number of possessions? It's what you do with the possessions.

I can't believe you don't get the reality that a team has far less margin of error by creating fewer possessions.

What do you think a perfect rating system would have done with UVA? They had just completed a 17-1 season in the ACC, so clearly they had proved themselves to be an elite team. There must be some way of evaluating teams against each other. Would you automatically deduct from slow tempo teams? But then how would you explain UVAs ACC record?

You could also compare UVAs postseason struggles to another team who underachieved, Wake Forest. But we generally played a fast-paced game, so it doesn’t look like tempo is the biggest way to underachieve.

(I personally don’t believe UVAs struggles are outside of natural error bars, although another early loss this year would put that into question more. But I believed our teams NCAA struggles were mostly a fluke and I know Arizona under Lute Olsen was always called out for poor performance with many theories thrown around, but over time they also reverted to the mean)

Like Syracuse, UVA plays a style that no one else plays. It's very difficult to prepare in two or three days to play a different way. In The Dance, you have a week before it starts and in between the first and second weekends.

Also, you neglect the core of my statements that I've made over and over. By slowing down the game, you have to be perfect. Each mistake you make means more the slower you play. Please tell me how you can dispute this.

As to Wake underachieving on the same level as UVA, it simply isn't so. In the seven years from 91-97, we lost five times to teams seeded higher than us. Yes, we got Bulterized and lost to WVU, but we also lost to two #1 seeds and a #2.

If it’s so easy to lose when playing slow, how has UVA had such great regular season records?

You didn't read what I posted. It's really tough to change your style of play in one or two practices.

Like Syracuse, UVA plays a style that no one else plays. It's very difficult to prepare in two or three days to play a different way. In The Dance, you have a week before it starts and in between the first and second weekends.

Also, you neglect the core of my statements that I've made over and over. By slowing down the game, you have to be perfect. Each mistake you make means more the slower you play. Please tell me how you can dispute this.

As to Wake underachieving on the same level as UVA, it simply isn't so. In the seven years from 91-97, we lost five times to teams seeded higher than us. Yes, we got Bulterized and lost to WVU, but we also lost to two #1 seeds and a #2.

It's kind of ridiculous to compare UVA to Syracuse. Syracuse is the most consistently over-performing team in the NCAAs.

link

It's kind of ridiculous to compare UVA to Syracuse. Syracuse is the most consistently over-performing team in the NCAAs.

link

I was talking about how it's difficult for regular season teams to prepare for teams like Cuse and UVA.

I was talking about how it's difficult for regular season teams to prepare for teams like Cuse and UVA.

Right but the data I posted would indicate that it's more difficult to prepare for Syracuse in the tournament than in the regular season. They perform better in the tournament. If UVA and Syracuse are really similar, you'd see them also perform worse in the tournament.

Right but the data I posted would indicate that it's more difficult to prepare for Syracuse in the tournament than in the regular season. They perform better in the tournament. If UVA and Syracuse are really similar, you'd see them also perform worse in the tournament.

Theirs is more about playing a really unusual defense than playing slowly on both ends. Cuse does run off of their D.

link

Interesting information. It seems to validate that Wake has under performed in the tournament. Dave Odom has a rank of 545 and Skip Prosser has a rank of 549 in a total sample of 559 coaches. Both are better than Tony Bennett at 550. Bobby Knight at 543. Expectations can be recipe for disappointment

If slowing down means fewer possessions for UVA, it also means fewer possessions for their opponents. They need to be “perfect” affects both teams.

Virginia’s system isn’t as simple as “teams can learn to play slower” - it’s two distinctly different areas. You have to prepare for the packline defense on one end and learn how to address all the constant motion and cutters Virginia sends throughout the shot clock on offense. It isn’t just that they’re intentionally slowing the game down, it’s how they do it.

Back