• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

PSU Hoops - National Media Sees Chambers as Possible Manning Replacement

Sample size? And I’m not only betting on tournament games. UVA gets people’s best shot during the year and holds its own.

Sample size? And I’m not only betting on tournament games. UVA gets people’s best shot during the year and holds its own.

What a cop out! 100% of UVA's NCAAT under Bennett have underachieved. He's been to six. How many would be enough?

Basically you are looking for an excuse.

I wouldn't say 100% -- 2012 he lost a game he was expected to lose, 2014 Michigan State had the more talented team, 2016 a #1 seed making the Elite 8 is a bit hard to couch as an underachievement, and 2017 was a toss-up.

Never a fan of "X can't win in X" logic because it gets blown up all the time, the Capitals winning the Stanley Cup last year the last of many examples

He lost by 26 to a team that was basically considered their equal. If they had lost by even five or ten, it would have been different.

He's had six chances and has never played better than his seed and the only times he played to his seed he lost by over twenty points each time.

It's amazing how many excuses are being made.

Only to those who know nothing about preparing teams or being on a team.

He lost by 26 to a team that was basically considered their equal. If they had lost by even five or ten, it would have been different.

He's had six chances and has never played better than his seed and the only times he played to his seed he lost by over twenty points each time.

It's amazing how many excuses are being made.

So we are now taking margin into account? If only there were a way to quantify that.
RJ, you are very confrontational. You need to chill out. You come back with that response, yet bitch about how people treat you here.
Also, it is hard to overachieve when you have a high seed. How would you compare his tournament results to his recruiting/talent level?

Last edited:
So we are now taking margin into account? If only there were a way to quantify that.
RJ, you are very confrontational. You need to chill out. You come back with that response, yet bitch about how people treat you here.
Also, it is hard to overachieve when you have a high seed. How would you compare his tournament results to his recruiting/talent level?

They haven't even played to their seeds. They have lost to lower seeds four times and got totally blown out twice when they were marginally lower seeds in the other two NCAAT. I'm not talking about losing to a #1 seed as a #8 or the like. They lost by 26 to a #4 as a #5. They lost to a #7 as a #10 by 26 also.

I don't see how using hard, cold facts is confrontational nor is pointing out excuses are being made.

when was the last time you were on a team or prepared for a team?

Thanks for proving my point. That's a silly question.

BTW, the last time I was on a team was about 10-12 years ago. Also on my team was a former player from Northwestern and one from Hofstra (who were much younger than me).

Like Syracuse, UVA plays a style that no one else plays. It's very difficult to prepare in two or three days to play a different way. In The Dance, you have a week before it starts and in between the first and second weekends.

to recap rj's argument:

uva and syracuse both play unconventional styles, which are hard to gameplan for in two days, but with enough time they are easier to figure out

therefore

uva overachieves during the regular season and underachieves during the tournament

and

syracuse underachieves during the regular season and overachieves during the tournament

Where in my statement did I say Cuse underachieves? Oh yeah, it's not there.

What's your excuse for making shit up AGAIN?

It's not my fault that you can't understand what else I said about Cuse being willing to run more off of their D than UVA does. Of course, you dishonestly neglected to include that part.

Overall, it would take you understanding the game a bit more and not frothing at the mouth when you see my name for you to comprehend.

I don't know what Cuse is "willing to run more off of their D than UVA does" means. Both teams play an unconventional defensive brand of basketball that is difficult to prepare for.

UVA has consistently outperformed Syracuse on defense for the past few years (they've been ranked in the top 7 in defense for six consecutive years) and has outperformed them on offense in five of the last six years.

Again, UVa's kenpom rating hasn't been out of whack with their human rating. When a team goes 17-1 in the ACC and wins the ACC tournament, they are going to be a #1 seed.

Bennett has underachived in the NCAAs, but it doesn't mean their pre-tourney rating wasn't justified.

I don't know what Cuse is "willing to run more off of their D than UVA does" means. Both teams play an unconventional defensive brand of basketball that is difficult to prepare for.

UVA has consistently outperformed Syracuse on defense for the past few years (they've been ranked in the top 7 in defense for six consecutive years) and has outperformed them on offense in five of the last six years.

And in the last decade, Cuse has made two Final Fours, an Elite 8 and two Sweet 16s. Further, Cuse won multiple games against higher seeded teams versus UVA not doing so.

You don't understand what it means that one team is more willing to run off of their D than another?

Again, UVa's kenpom rating hasn't been out of whack with their human rating. When a team goes 17-1 in the ACC and wins the ACC tournament, they are going to be a #1 seed.

Bennett has underachived in the NCAAs, but it doesn't mean their pre-tourney rating wasn't justified.

All I've said it that they have grossly underachieved in The Dance. I didn't say their regular season results weren't excellent.

I don’t think people disagree that uva has underachieved in the tournament, just the reason for that underachieving.

Thanks for proving my point. That's a silly question.

BTW, the last time I was on a team was about 10-12 years ago. Also on my team was a former player from Northwestern and one from Hofstra (who were much younger than me).

What kinda team we talking here?

Back