• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

PSU Hoops - National Media Sees Chambers as Possible Manning Replacement

when was the last time you were on a team or prepared for a team?
Where do you think he gets all his coaching search "scoop?" The top coaches call him for game prep consults all the time.

Last edited:
The Reynolda Raiders included Bud, Country, Mason Dixon, Kreebie, Bunn, WEW, Stevens, Flipper, Crew, Woodie, Schilling, Wonderful, and Rick.

A big reason is tempo. I know you don't like hearing this but playing as slowly as they do on both ends of the court each possession becomes more valuable. Each mistake has a bigger impact on the game.

can you explain the ways in which an NCAAT opponent will prepare differently for UVA for the extra five days than an ACC team during the regular season?

A big reason is tempo. I know you don't like hearing this but playing as slowly as they do on both ends of the court each possession becomes more valuable. Each mistake has a bigger impact on the game.

Yes. We all agree.

However their tempo during the postseason is not significantly different than their tempo during the regular season.

I simply don’t believe having a few extra days for the first tournament game is why teams are having more success against UVA than the regular season.

Numbers established that many posts ago, even as you continued to argue with him about it as if you had invented the idea and he was incapable of grasping it.

On the flip side of your argument, every well executed play (on offense and defense) has a bigger impact as well. UVA is a team that tends to execute well.

Over the past 10 years, Michigan (2018 NCAA Finalist -- 324 in tempo) and Wisconsin (2015 Wisconsin was #345 in tempo, and they beat undefeated KY, before getting edged by Duke in the NCAA finals) have been in the bottom tier in tempo, yet both programs have had much NCAA tourney success. Loyola Chicago (#307)was also a super-slow tempo team that made the Final 4 last year. Florida under Billy Donavan had teams that also played a slow tempo with tourney success (Dononvan's 2011 team was #300 in tempo and went to a Final 4).

There are too many teams that excel in the NCAA tournament that play at a slow pace to blame UVA's NCAA tournament issues on tempo. Finally, it's not like Bennett has had no tournament success. In 2008, while coaching Washington State, a program that may be the toughest coaching job in any power conference to the Sweet 16 with wins over Gregg Marshall (Winthrop) and Mike Brey (ND). Over his last 5 years at UVA, the Cavs did advance to the Elite 8 and a Sweet 16. Granted they still have not made a final 4 run, but give him time.

FWIW, are people aware that Duke has made one Final 4 (2015) over the 9 most recent seasons (2011 through 2019)? Don't think that there is any debate that Duke has had a lot more talent than UVA over that time frame, and K has taken all of that NBA lottery talent to one more Final 4 than Bennett over those seasons. Even with the talent and the coaching, it's hard to make a Final 4. Lots of competition, and in a one and done format, results can be random.

Last edited:
Yes. We all agree.

However their tempo during the postseason is not significantly different than their tempo during the regular season.

I simply don’t believe having a few extra days for the first tournament game is why teams are having more success against UVA than the regular season.

Then why do NBA teams talk about this being a big deal? Why do college coaches in football and basketball talk about the extra time to prepare in bowl games or the NCAAT mattering?

Regardless of your profession, if you have more time to prepare you should do better.

And again the main proponent of this argument claims roy williams can't coach even though he has never lost a 1st round game in a 30 plus year HOF career.

And again the main proponent of this argument claims roy williams can't coach even though he has never lost a 1st round game in a 30 plus year HOF career.

What a shock that a coach that routinely has a #1,#2 or #3 seed wins his first game!!!

Yet somehow the more time Tony Bennett has to prepare the worse he does!

They haven't even played to their seeds. They have lost to lower seeds four times and got totally blown out twice when they were marginally lower seeds in the other two NCAAT. I'm not talking about losing to a #1 seed as a #8 or the like. They lost by 26 to a #4 as a #5. They lost to a #7 as a #10 by 26 also.

I don't see how using hard, cold facts is confrontational nor is pointing out excuses are being made.

You just said this earlier on the thread:

Unless I'm betting, I don't give a damn about losing margins. The object is to get to wins. Accepting close losses is accepting losing. Get those Jimmies and Joes.

FYI, I'm in the camp that:

1) Margins do matter, and are more predictive than W-L all else equal
2) UVA has underachieved in the tournament, although not "grossly"
3) UVA has primarily underachieved due to small sample sizes / statistical noise, and over time I suspect their tournament performance will revert to the mean.
4) UVA plays such an extreme style of basketball that they are a slight outlier in KP's system (key word here is slight -- perhaps they should be ranked #2 or #3 instead of #1)
5) Despite the above KP (or other ratings systems) is still the best way to evaluate a team, and by extension, the quality of their coach

One more interesting example. Michigan State under Tom Izzo has often been cited as an example of how certain teams can overperform in the tournament. I'm sure this exists to a certain extent, as it seems logical that some teams (particularly those that are well-coached) improve over the course of a season and therefore would be at their peak during the tournament, but I suspect this effect is relatively small.

In any event, Izzo's teams looked for years like a proof point but over the past three years have shown a lot of tournament vulnerability. Don't feel this reflects anything on Izzo or MSU but rather a simple reversion to the mean.

They haven't even played to their seeds. They have lost to lower seeds four times and got totally blown out twice when they were marginally lower seeds in the other two NCAAT. I'm not talking about losing to a #1 seed as a #8 or the like. They lost by 26 to a #4 as a #5. They lost to a #7 as a #10 by 26 also.

I don't see how using hard, cold facts is confrontational nor is pointing out excuses are being made.

Now we are talking about margin of victory. I don't think their style or pace makes them more susceptible to a blowout, do you? There are multiple factors that go into how a team does in a given tournament.

Use of an explanation point to tell someone they are copping out, when they simply just disagree is a bit aggressive. I'm fine with it. I would have thought nothing of it from most other posters. But don't cry about it when I hand your ass to you because your arguments are inconsistent and you have no understanding of statistics.
Saying my argument is just based on making excuses is a bit dismissive. Style of play may contribute. I am open to that. I just don't have blinders on that being the only possible primary reason.
Your cold, hard facts don't line up. Slowing the tempo down would seem to make blowouts less likely, no? I would consider there may be something else there.
We will see if they revert back towards the mean.

You still didn't answer how you think his teams have performed in the tournament relative to the talent level on the team.

can you explain the ways in which an NCAAT opponent will prepare differently for UVA for the extra five days than an ACC team during the regular season?

Well in game 1 UVA will play in the ACC tourney they will have at a minimum played 1 game less than their opponent. That won't have happened in the NCAA tourney. I also think that UVA style/system is a little bit like the triple option and the more time you have to game plan for it, I think the better chance you have. No statistical evidence but just my thought.

Then why do NBA teams talk about this being a big deal? Why do college coaches in football and basketball talk about the extra time to prepare in bowl games or the NCAAT mattering?

Regardless of your profession, if you have more time to prepare you should do better.

I'd think NBA tempo does slow down. The progressive games against the same team lead to that. Don't have that in the NCAA tourney.

Now we are talking about margin of victory. I don't think their style or pace makes them more susceptible to a blowout, do you? There are multiple factors that go into how a team does in a given tournament.

Use of an explanation point to tell someone they are copping out, when they simply just disagree is a bit aggressive. I'm fine with it. I would have thought nothing of it from most other posters. But don't cry about it when I hand your ass to you because your arguments are inconsistent and you have no understanding of statistics.
Saying my argument is just based on making excuses is a bit dismissive. Style of play may contribute. I am open to that. I just don't have blinders on that being the only possible primary reason.
Your cold, hard facts don't line up. Slowing the tempo down would seem to make blowouts less likely, no? I would consider there may be something else there.
We will see if they revert back towards the mean.

You still didn't answer how you think his teams have performed in the tournament relative to the talent level on the team.

Either their rankings/seedings have been inflated year after year after year or they have underachieved their talent level.

It's not just a "given" tournament. It's every tournament since Bennett has been there. If it was just one disappointing finish out of six, or maybe even two, I'd probably agree with you, but it's six out of six.

RE: margins- As I said earlier, even if they had lost to the better seeds (both of which were coin flip seeds), by five or ten or a little more due to FT shooting or a cold ending (clearly not a Kraft ending), it would be one thing, but they got blown out. On top of that, their offense in those games was horrible.

Slowing the ball down, in the shot clock era, doesn't necessarily end blowouts if your team plays like crap. They could miss all their shots and the other team get out on breaks and/or hit their shots.

You did not "hand me my ass". The core of my premise is indisputable by any use of statistics-The fewer the number of possessions. The more important each possession is. Thus, you have less margin of error.

Again, if only happened once or happened multiple times with some positive results, it would be different. There are no positive post season results in Bennett's tenure at UVA. The closest thing to one is losing in the Sweet 16 as a #1 seed to a good #4 seed. But that's still not good.

But it's likely you'll dismiss everything I said here.

Well they made an elite eight too (and one of the six losses was as an underdog as a 10 seed).

Again, it's not as if UVA is considerably better or worse in metrics compared to human rankings.

There was a good 5 to 6-year stretch in which Jay Wright had a reputation of not being able to make it out of the first weekend. That was some solid thinking. The sample size is just too small.

They underachieved human and computer rankings.

They lost in the Elite 8 as a #1 seed to a #10 seed. To get there, they beat a #16, #9 and #4. Big whoop for a #1.

Back